SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   First Experience Crewing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93205-first-experience-crewing.html)

tomperanteau 10-18-2012 12:08 AM

First Experience Crewing

Let me know what you think. HERE

chef2sail 10-18-2012 01:01 PM

Re: First Experience Crewing

Good post Tom,

My wife and I chartered and visited Catlina Island last December from Long Beach/ Great description of the sail over, it was like ours. The day before we had sailed onj Stars and Stripes in San Diego where we each had the helm of 20 iminutes.

We have done coatal cruising from the Cheaspeake up to New England so being in the ocean was not a new experience, howver the blue water and the larger swell was different. We moored in Avalon for two days. It was the end of the season during the week so there were no crowds at all. We did the Zip line rides and the best experience was the ATV Hmmmer ride for the entire day through the interior and along the edge of the island. We got to see bald eagles, Beaches at hidden coves along the windward cliffs on the other side of the island. We got some mud soaking as well and went to the Skytop Airport. What fascinated me was the absolye absence of tall tress and vegetation. Of course we got run at by a few wayward cantankerous bison. Catalina is a neat place. You need to have a golf cart deeded to you if you buy there.

Great post.

dave

tomperanteau 10-18-2012 01:12 PM

Thanks, Dave. Agree on all accounts. We normally drop anchor at Two Harbors, which is more "rustic", but also has bars and restaurants. Next goal is to hit some of the obscure anchorages. We've heard some good things about them, and you can't get to them except by boat.

CalebD 10-18-2012 06:42 PM

Nice write up Tom. Sounds like a fun weekend.

What is it about sodium bicarbonate that helps keep you guys from going under the knife? I'd never heard that before.

tomperanteau 10-18-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 935652)
Nice write up Tom. Sounds like a fun weekend.

What is it about sodium bicarbonate that helps keep you guys from going under the knife? I'd never heard that before.

Baking Soda helps keep the body's pH alkaline. An acidic body cannot repair itself and cells don't like to reproduce. Staying alkaline helps keep you healthy. Eating things like leafy greens and veggies are a great help, too.

CarbonSink62 10-19-2012 11:29 AM

Nice post, Tom. Thanks.

rockDAWG 10-19-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomperanteau (Post 935778)
Baking Soda helps keep the body's pH alkaline. An acidic body cannot repair itself and cells don't like to reproduce. Staying alkaline helps keep you healthy.

I spent almost 30 years in clinical (medical) research, never heard such claim for Sodium Bicarbonate. May be it is the California culture. But no MD would recommend his patient taking Baking Soda, it is insane. It will affect the electrolyte balance of the body, significant to increase sodium body load, lead edema and high blood pressure.

It really makes no sense. I am pro choice; so I do respect it is your body your choice.

tomperanteau 10-19-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 936024)
I spent almost 30 years in clinical (medical) research, never heard such claim for Sodium Bicarbonate. May be it is the California culture. But no MD would recommend his patient taking Baking Soda, it is insane. It will affect the electrolyte balance of the body, significant to increase sodium body load, lead edema and high blood pressure.

It really makes no sense. I am pro choice; so I do respect it is your body your choice.

So is this where you start insulting me without asking me anything about our research?

We have researched all aspects of this for the past four years at my office. I am a legal researcher that was an engineer (EE) for 20 years, and the wife is a trial attorney that spends a lot of her time researching issues. We are no strangers to researching legal and medical issues, then compiling data to a logical conclusion that would be convincing against an expert witness in court. Been there, done that. We have also incorporated our doctor into our research, and he is behind us 100%.

Besides trying to steer the discussion off-topic perhaps you might try a different approach when you confront others, as opposed to being so disrespectful and trying to label all of our hard work with the "California culture".

rbrasi 10-19-2012 01:06 PM

I was disappointed that I could not clear my schedule to attend Buccaneer Days. I will try harder next year, for sure. Nice writeup. I, too, am looking for the same crewing experience.

tomperanteau 10-19-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrasi (Post 936040)
I was disappointed that I could not clear my schedule to attend Buccaneer Days. I will try harder next year, for sure. Nice writeup. I, too, am looking for the same crewing experience.

Thanks. It was crazy at night, but during the day we all had a ball!