Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
First Experience Crewing

Let me know what you think. HERE
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: First Experience Crewing

Good post Tom,

My wife and I chartered and visited Catlina Island last December from Long Beach/ Great description of the sail over, it was like ours. The day before we had sailed onj Stars and Stripes in San Diego where we each had the helm of 20 iminutes.

We have done coatal cruising from the Cheaspeake up to New England so being in the ocean was not a new experience, howver the blue water and the larger swell was different. We moored in Avalon for two days. It was the end of the season during the week so there were no crowds at all. We did the Zip line rides and the best experience was the ATV Hmmmer ride for the entire day through the interior and along the edge of the island. We got to see bald eagles, Beaches at hidden coves along the windward cliffs on the other side of the island. We got some mud soaking as well and went to the Skytop Airport. What fascinated me was the absolye absence of tall tress and vegetation. Of course we got run at by a few wayward cantankerous bison. Catalina is a neat place. You need to have a golf cart deeded to you if you buy there.

Great post.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Thanks, Dave. Agree on all accounts. We normally drop anchor at Two Harbors, which is more "rustic", but also has bars and restaurants. Next goal is to hit some of the obscure anchorages. We've heard some good things about them, and you can't get to them except by boat.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 10-18-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Nice write up Tom. Sounds like a fun weekend.

What is it about sodium bicarbonate that helps keep you guys from going under the knife? I'd never heard that before.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Nice write up Tom. Sounds like a fun weekend.

What is it about sodium bicarbonate that helps keep you guys from going under the knife? I'd never heard that before.
Baking Soda helps keep the body's pH alkaline. An acidic body cannot repair itself and cells don't like to reproduce. Staying alkaline helps keep you healthy. Eating things like leafy greens and veggies are a great help, too.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 10-19-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Nice post, Tom. Thanks.
tomperanteau likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 10-19-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Baking Soda helps keep the body's pH alkaline. An acidic body cannot repair itself and cells don't like to reproduce. Staying alkaline helps keep you healthy.
I spent almost 30 years in clinical (medical) research, never heard such claim for Sodium Bicarbonate. May be it is the California culture. But no MD would recommend his patient taking Baking Soda, it is insane. It will affect the electrolyte balance of the body, significant to increase sodium body load, lead edema and high blood pressure.

It really makes no sense. I am pro choice; so I do respect it is your body your choice.
zeehag likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I spent almost 30 years in clinical (medical) research, never heard such claim for Sodium Bicarbonate. May be it is the California culture. But no MD would recommend his patient taking Baking Soda, it is insane. It will affect the electrolyte balance of the body, significant to increase sodium body load, lead edema and high blood pressure.

It really makes no sense. I am pro choice; so I do respect it is your body your choice.
So is this where you start insulting me without asking me anything about our research?

We have researched all aspects of this for the past four years at my office. I am a legal researcher that was an engineer (EE) for 20 years, and the wife is a trial attorney that spends a lot of her time researching issues. We are no strangers to researching legal and medical issues, then compiling data to a logical conclusion that would be convincing against an expert witness in court. Been there, done that. We have also incorporated our doctor into our research, and he is behind us 100%.

Besides trying to steer the discussion off-topic perhaps you might try a different approach when you confront others, as opposed to being so disrespectful and trying to label all of our hard work with the "California culture".
chef2sail likes this.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 10-19-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I was disappointed that I could not clear my schedule to attend Buccaneer Days. I will try harder next year, for sure. Nice writeup. I, too, am looking for the same crewing experience.
Old 10-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
I was disappointed that I could not clear my schedule to attend Buccaneer Days. I will try harder next year, for sure. Nice writeup. I, too, am looking for the same crewing experience.
Thanks. It was crazy at night, but during the day we all had a ball!

S/V Footprints

Youtube