Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
The sailing Gourmet and the legend of the egg banjo

I just thought that you ought to know....

the next time you eat a fried egg sandwich

there is a story

and if you can engineer it correctly it can offer great pleasure to both the consumer and the spectator

so I made a short film

the galley box also puts in an appearance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: The sailing Gourmet and the legend of the egg banjo

Thats well done. HAHAHAHA
Old 10-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Funny

Beware of the T Fal pans as the coating will come off in your food should you break the surface with any sharp utensil or scrubbing pad. In addition the are lightwieght aluminum.

I prefer the new age materials for pans Caphalon/ Analon/ Circulon as they need no spray and are way more durable as well as the mans heat evenly, Stainless steel is a far better and even conductor and you dont have to worry about leaching of aluminium when using acid foods.

Dave
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-18-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Mmmm! Runny egg yolk!

Funny bit Dylan!

Everybody has one:

Old 10-18-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I was on a jobsite working out of an office trailer. One of the guys also working in the trailer often talked about having an egg sandwich in the morning. We started work at 6AM and he was up much earlier than his wife and so made the egg sandwich himself.

One morning he comes in and says, "My wife got up this morning before me and made me my egg sandwich. I was really pleased and thanked her a ton. Then I took a bite and out squirts the hot egg yolk all over the place!"

As I watched the video, I was waiting for that but didn't expect the egg banjo!

BTW: The guy at work didn't react calmly that morning and that was the last time his wife got up to make him breakfast.
Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Funny

Beware of the T Fal pans as the coating will come off in your food should you break the surface with any sharp utensil or scrubbing pad. In addition the are lightwieght aluminum.

I prefer the new age materials for pans Caphalon/ Analon/ Circulon as they need no spray and are way more durable as well as the mans heat evenly, Stainless steel is a far better and even conductor and you dont have to worry about leaching of aluminium when using acid foods.

Dave
I must have ingested acres of tefal over the years

is it toxic

although I have to say the pans seem better than they used to be

the one cal stuff is wonderful for the boat

Dylan

Old 10-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
I must have ingested acres of tefal over the years

is it toxic

although I have to say the pans seem better than they used to be

the one cal stuff is wonderful for the boat

Dylan

We didn't want to upset you but there are those of us who have noticed an increase in general winterish battiness that one surmises could be down to that ingestion of Tefal. I of course had it down to you being English.

Oh yes, and get rid of that aerosol can of spray oil. A refillable spray bottle is cheaper, more friendly and you get to choose your olive oil.

JulieMor .... you mean that fellow preferred hard yoke ? Now that is weird.

btw folks .... do go and check out Dylan's Nene vids. Lovely to see the Slug and the Beast two part harmony once again.

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/vid...ening-sailing/

There are a few of them.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-18-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
We didn't want to upset you but there are those of us who have noticed an increase in general winterish battiness that one surmises could be down to that ingestion of Tefal. I of course had it down to you being English.

Oh yes, and get rid of that aerosol can of spray oil. A refillable spray bottle is cheaper, more friendly and you get to choose your olive oil.

JulieMor .... you mean that fellow preferred hard yoke ? Now that is weird.
not aerosol

just a squirty

so I shall replace the oil when it runs out

as for being barking.....

I am fine.... it is the rest of humanity that needs sorting out

incidentally

this is Ransom on sailors

“After all there are those who think that all men are mad who who go to sea when they could stay ashore, and that the maddest are those who, for pleasure, sail in boats of five tonnes and under, content with sitting headroom in the cabin and crawling headroom elsewhere. This is an arguable matter, with Dr Johnson on onse side and all small boat sailors on the other.

“”No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.” _ Johnson

But even the small boat sailors will agree that those of them who of choice sail single-handed are seldom ordinary men. They are of noticeably different texture, men of oak, not pliable. Their faith is is in themselves not in others. Their views are always their own. They do not search for precedents but make them. They are, in the best sense of the word, originals. There are no doubters among them. Whatever they do is best done the way they do it, and though all the world is of a different opniion, the World is wrong for they are right.”

Arthur Ranson

Old 10-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I must have ingested acres of tefal over the years-dylanwintyer1
Calling Mr Dylan Winter-- you must have misremembered ( Clements) your name

Quote:
The connection between aluminum in the brain and Alzheimer's Disease is so convincing that various studies are under way to explore whether aluminum in the brain can be removed, and if so, to determine if this would be beneficial for Alzheimer's patients. One fascinating study also reported in The Lancet, showed that by administering desferrioxamine, a chemical known to remove aluminum and other metals from the body, the progression of dementia associated with Alzheimer's disease was significantly slowed.
Be careful using aluminum pans

Quote:
Heres the directions for using a T Fal Pan.

So, How to Take Care of Your Non Stick Pan?

Firstly Don't Cook on a high Heat

Blasting your pan with the highest heat setting can warp the pan itself and cause the teflon coating to crack and reduce performance when cooking. It will also burn your food, so keep the temperature low to mid and have perfectly cooked food that is not burnt. This will also reduce the amount of food residue that you have to clean off afterwards.

The Thermospot in my Tefal pan tells me when I have the correct temperature to cook with by turning a solid red colour, and this is usually around no 5-6 (out of 9) on my electric hob. A moderate temperature is sufficient because the pan distributes the heat evenly and prevents burning and staining.

Plastic Utensils & Storage

It may sound obvious, but don't use metal utensils when cooking in your non stick pan, and definitely don't cut anything with a knife in the pan. Once you scratch the surface it's the beginning of the end. I have a selection of plastic heat proof utensils, including tongs, and this way I am sure that I cannot scratch the pan.

I have a pot hanger on my kitchen wall and my non stick frying pan has it's own hook. If I do need to hang something else with it, I ensure they sit back to back so that another pan cannot scratch the surface. If you are short on space and have no other choice than to stack your pans, place a piece of kitchen towel, napkin or bubble wrap between each pan.

Cleaning

The absolute worst thing you could do to your new non stick frying pan is wash it in the sink with an abrasive sponge or scourer. You will scrub off, little by little, the protective coating of your pan and ruin it forever, and if you have a hot spot indicator in the centre of the pan it will no longer work. Luke warm soapy water and a nylon sponge should be sufficient. If you just wipe out the pan with a kitchen towel, residue may be left behind and that will cook the next time you use the pan and may cause staining.

After using the pan I like to boil the kettle, fill the pan with boiling water and then simmer on the hob (on a medium heat) for a few minutes. Rinse in the sink (if necessary using a soft cloth for stubborn residue) and then immediately dry with a soft cloth or kitchen towel. This seams to get rid of any oil or residue and keep the non stick surface scratch free.

Avoid the dishwasher. The detergents used can often be too hard and wear off the non stick coating on some pans, and if there are any scratches in the pan they will start to rust. Cleaning by hand is always best

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
not aerosol

just a squirty

so I shall replace the oil when it runs out

as for being barking.....

I am fine.... it is the rest of humanity that needs sorting out

incidentally

this is Ransom on sailors

“After all there are those who think that all men are mad who who go to sea when they could stay ashore, and that the maddest are those who, for pleasure, sail in boats of five tonnes and under, content with sitting headroom in the cabin and crawling headroom elsewhere. This is an arguable matter, with Dr Johnson on onse side and all small boat sailors on the other.

“”No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.” _ Johnson

But even the small boat sailors will agree that those of them who of choice sail single-handed are seldom ordinary men. They are of noticeably different texture, men of oak, not pliable. Their faith is is in themselves not in others. Their views are always their own. They do not search for precedents but make them. They are, in the best sense of the word, originals. There are no doubters among them. Whatever they do is best done the way they do it, and though all the world is of a different opniion, the World is wrong for they are right.”

Arthur Ranson
Just a squirty ? Good man, my sincerest apologies for the character assassination.

As for barking ... it is my personal opinion that complete sanity is somewhat overated. An acceptable level of eccentricity is called for.

re underlined bit of AR .... splendidly put. After all what would that silly old duffer Johnson know ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.