Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?

Dodge is like a TV remote or Butt warmer in your car. Once you have them it is hard to not to have them, especially when you are doing so serious sailing.

You can try this in your driveway with the help of your SO:
1. Ask her to blast you with with water from a garden hose
2. Use a industrial fan and blow as hard as it can
3. Do that for 10 min.

It gets old very easily even with your full foul weather gear on. Trust me, been there and done that, and don't want to do that again.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

No one "needs" a dodger, or a boat for that matter.... For us we will never not have one.

We'll never own a cruisng sailboat without one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

yes, one that can be put down easily. On my boat I only need to release two straps with a quick release system. Takes about 10 seconds to put it down (or up) by two, about 30 seconds if it is just done by one.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have a dodger and bimini...both custom made by my wife with a Sailrite machine. I did the frame for both, I feel fortunate my wife can sew so well.

Previously our boat had a racing dodger on her that could fold down. It basically prorected the cabin when it rained and allowed us to leave it open, and whoever sat right behind it when sailing. The helmsman however got pelted and buried with the wind over the top of it. I would be in full foulies and my wife in a T shirt.

We designed our dodger like a second bimini with zip out sides and front. In the hot Chesapeake summers we take all three panels ( 2 side and one large front out and are just left with the bimini with side handles, thus allowing complete air flow. Our front piece is one large picture window as I didnt like how most dodgers had just a zip out center panel so you were always looking through obstruction when the zippers were, even with the panel in. In addition we used Strata Glass for everything. Additionally I installed side rail/ handles on the bimini fram to aid and assist in handholds when walking the gunwhale back to enter and egress thecockpit. These are used quite a bit and were a safety improvement.

We also have a bimini/ It keeps the sun from baking ourt brains. is amazing how much cooler it is at the helm or sitting in the cockpit without the sun beating on you. Again we modified standard design and have two large strata glass windowns on the back end of the bimini to allow seeing the windex and main sail for trimming. Thats a simple solution for those say they cant see to trim their main sail. At the dock or at anchor we have velcro shades to put over the strataglass.

Last year my wife added a connector piece from the bimini to dodger. Now even in the most pouring of rains we can sit high and dry at the dock or at anchor in the cockpit, Kinda of neat eating dinner at anchor in the cockpit while it is pouring rain around you. Also allows you great protection under way where you can stay comfortable with just a jacket on when making passageway in rain. It helps in the cooler months also

She also has made as as well side panels with windows zipping to the inside tops of the dodger ends and bimini which stretch all the way back to the stern corners.

The following photos show the dodger and bimini without connector or side pieces on a rainy day. NOte the windows in the bimini for main sail watching. Also my wife has made a new custom cover to preserve the dinghy from the UV

Dodger with front window zipped out but side panels in

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-18-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I don't have one now. It is high on the list for my cruising boat.

Whether my C25 becomes my cruising boat or I move up to a 27-28 is not clear.

The C25 does not have standing headroom; I have to open the companionway slider to stand up fully. A dodger would allow me to do that in the rain (as well as all the advantages listed earlier in this thread).

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 10-18-2012

Glen53 is on a distinguished road

On our 25 foot Catalina we have a bimini that has separate removable front and side curtains. Because it has a tiller I sit in the aft and have no problem seeing how the sail is trimmed. We will only zip the curtains in when necessary, but the top is up 24 / 7. For us, we will never own a boat without one. At port we can attach a frameless awning which covers the area aft of the bimini. This awning can also be fitted with curtains or screens, creating a complete enclosure
Old 10-18-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I think my boat is too small for a dodger...26'

And with the traveler on the bridgedeck, I'm not going to gain alot of protection in the cockpit...

Nope...too crowed for such a small boat...I need a bigger boat...

Yeah , that's it..a bigger boat with a dodger...yeah...
Old 10-18-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I have one now, it's old, it leaks, and it looks like hell. I am getting a quote on a new one from Mobile Marine Canvas in Harpswell ME.
Old 10-18-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Here in the land of cold water (PNW-55F+- summer water temp) it's really nice to be able to get out of the chilly wind, especially for those who are not at the wheel. A nice cozy corner under the dodger on the lee side is a favorite spot on the boat. The ability to have the companionway open when it's raining (not that that happens often here) makes it a lot easier for everyone too. I don't think there are many cruisers that feel a dodger is an option.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-18-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

The dodger that came with the boat kind of fell apart, so I took it off. For daysailing, we don't miss it at all.

But then she is a very dry boat, and we stay in SF Bay. Now and then you get a little spray in the summer when the winds and chop are high, but you don't mind it then. In the winter conditions are more benign anyway.

My solution for shade and to stop rain entering the companionway, while at anchor and in the marina, is a large white sun-resistant nylon tarp that goes over the boom. Has a line with snap shackle at each corner. At $10, this might be the most reasonably priced boat accessory I've bought!