Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

northptsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?

My first cruising boat was a Bristol 29.9, and like most of the boats of that era (70's) it had almost no opening ports. Actually, one small one in the head. The dodger gave us the ability to get some ventilation below on hot rainy overnights because we could leave the companionway open without taking rain below.
You will also find that without a dodger, you will be alone in the cockpit if you are at the helm in spray or rain. You'll still be wet, but you will have company if they can stay dry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
For cruising, absolutely.

For daysailing, probably wouldn't bother.
Depends on the day sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?-2012-10-05_13-23-05_366.jpg   Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?-2012-10-05_13-23-57_93.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For our area dodgers are more or less essential for cruising, of course it is a personal choice.

FWIW I do think it's important that the dodger 'looks' right on the boat, the material is taut and the windows are clear.

We really like the large radius bend our dodger builder used over the more typical square-cornered ones.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
For our area dodgers are more or less essential for cruising, of course it is a personal choice.

FWIW I do think it's important that the dodger 'looks' right on the boat, the material is taut and the windows are clear.

We really like the large radius bend our dodger builder used over the more typical square-cornered ones.

I like the handholds.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-18-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Would you acquire a Dodger for your boat??
Having been out in temperatures near freezing and felt the cold spray hitting my face; the biting cold chilling me to the bone; wet charts, soggy food, etc., yes, I would prefer a dodger. It's really nice when your bow hits that wave and you see the spray coming right at you. Then you briefly duck behind the shelter of your trusty dodger and emerge again to await the next wash.
Old 10-18-2012
Pirate Chief

Paddyd is on a distinguished road

I have had them with and with , our current boat does not have one ......for full time cruising I would probably buy one or make one
Old 10-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I confess that I miss sitting in an open cockpit with nothing to blot out the heavens on a perfect night. Utter bliss.

Otoh, if you sail on the NSW coast where it is quite usual for spray to be flying and the sun to be blazing down you will not want to be without both dodger and bimini.

On our old girl the bimini had clears on top so helm can keep an eye on the sails, new girl has panels over so not so easy but all one needs to do is poke ones head out once in a while. As I tend to steer from the rail anyway it is no great problem. New girl also has deck area aft of the cockpit so one can still lie out in the open and watch the stars.

Old Girl (We added hand rails similar to Fast's on either side and acros the rear of the dodger.)

Biggest problem for us is that we do like to keep the side curtains on the cockpit enclosure open even when it is raining and this is not really satisfactory. We are now making up a set of canvas 'wings' to solve that problem. I'll post pics when project is complete.

New Girl

Reality is that anyone who spends anytime sailing beyond a simple day sail is going to want a dodger, in warm climes a bimini and long term possibly/probably even a set of lee/weather clothes. Salt spray may be invigorating for the first few hours but oh man it does get really tired much beyond that.

Jon Eisberg posted this pic in another thread (the Alden cockpit thread) . Must say I do like the way the weather cloth comes across the deck like that.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road

Dodgers--I lost interest when they left Brooklyn--

But on a boat--anyone can be uncomfortable. I like the quick-collapse and remove type. In a bad storm a dodger could act like a sail and could push a boat into a pitch-pole situation. If it can be quickly removed I would have one.
Old 10-18-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Another vote here for a dodger. It's a spray shield and windshield and keeps the rain out of the companionway most of the time. We've also added a Bimini with a connector to the dodger and roll-up side curtains with clear plastic to maintain a view. Our cockpit enclosure is open in the back, however.

Here in New England, when the sun goes down you get dew in the cockpit most evenings if you don't have some kind of a cockpit enclosure. We have added a very dry and liveable "room", as ehmanta has noted, by rigging the enclosure at anchor (that means the connector and side curtains.) This works when the boat is facing the wind at anchor, which is most of the time in southern New England. (We did have an experience in York Harbor, when we rigged the enclosure, went to dinner, and returned to find our boat was backside to the breeze, due to the strong current. Not only was the cockpit soaking wet, but we had condensation in the cabin!) Should have closed the companion way in hindsight.

Another advantage of a bimini is the reduced sun exposure as well as the cooling effect, which is much greater than we expected--actually more than we want in the shoulder season. Our bimini can be folded and the canvas retained in a boot if you want more sun or want to keep a closer eye on your mainsail trim.

About a dodger in the Caribbean, we've chartered down there at least a dozen times and I prefer a dodger for a spray shield and to keep the the companionway area dry. At anchor, it is nice to turn the wind off, too.
Old 10-18-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

I love the dodger. It helps get you out of the wind so it feels warmer and keeps it dry below with companionway open in the rain. It can help extend your season, especially if you have a bimini as well and full enclosure. I really missed it when it was being repaired.