Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
For our area dodgers are more or less essential for cruising, of course it is a personal choice.

FWIW I do think it's important that the dodger 'looks' right on the boat, the material is taut and the windows are clear.

We really like the large radius bend our dodger builder used over the more typical square-cornered ones.

That looks like an Iverson.. Very nice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

I recently aquired a used but virtually brand new, it was off a 28' buccaneer and I modified it to fit my C&C Corvette all this for $100. It took a while to get used to the look of it on the boat as it hasnt had one for its whole life but now with the added comfort would not go with out.
Old 10-18-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Wish I had one that day....most of the time I can do without one but plan on building a hard dodger
Attached Thumbnails
Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?-p3132291.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 10-18-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

For a cruising boat that's gonna go places, doing so without some sort of dodger is strictly for masochists...

But I can't understand why the sort of rigid windshield/convertible top seen primarily on Scandinavian boats like Hallberg-Rassys, TDW's Malo, and my little tub pictured below, haven't gained a wider acceptance... On smaller boats, their versatility offers the best of all worlds, and after living with one for several years now, it's far and away the most practical solution to a variety of cruising conditions on a smaller boat, and is probably the single best mod I've made to my boat...

It's amazing how much protection the windshield alone still affords – sailing to weather in a breeze, it still keeps the cockpit pretty dry. One of the primary benefits of this arrangement on a boat like mine, it affords a very secure handhold when making the transition from cockpit to deck and vice versa, there’s not much margin for error on many older boats with finer ends...

The big problem with modern dodgers that I see on most boats, is that they have become such permanent structures, no one ever folds them down for sailing in conditions when they’re not needed… In addition, that tends to be tough on the eisenglass panels, further accentuating the funhouse mirror effect…

My panels are made from a much more rigid material, and remains clear as regular glass…

On a boat as small as mine, I cannot possibly recommend this sort of arrangement too highly. I’m pretty tall, not having to duck under a dodger all the time is pretty nice… It’s especially nice for night sailing, so much easier to just glance up at the rig or sky from below, or just pop your head out for a quick scan around without even leaving the companionway… Once you've sailed with an easily convertible top/dodger for awhile, you begin to appreciate how small is the percentage of time you might actually need to have a dodger in place, and how pleasant it can be to have it out of the way, how greatly your visibility is enhanced, and on and on...

Hard dodgers are certainly a great way to go on bigger boats, but on anything up to 40 feet or so, I still think a windshield/convertible top is the ultimate solution…

jrd22 and Faster like this.
Old 10-18-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

There's nothing like sailing on a sunny day with a warm breeze in your face and and an unobstructed 360 view, even overhead. That's why I prefer collapsible dodgers.
Old 10-18-2012

YorktownSailor65 is on a distinguished road

A well-made dodger is a wonderful addition to nearly any sailboat.
Kinda like your first microwave oven: You really didn't need it, but once you got it, you wonder where you'd be without it... All of the above reasons I agree with. They really cut the wind and keep things dry when the wind kicks up, especially on a boat with low freeboard or in any kid of seas. A great place to "tuck" a few items you like to keep in the cockpit, but were afraid to lose overboard when the wind picked up.
Old 10-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Where I to have my druthers I'd druther that our solar panels had been installed over the stern rather than over the cockpit for all the reasons previously extolled. Otoh, these days and particularly in high UV locations like Oz the shade aspect cannot be ignored.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.