Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?

After seeing many boat with Dodgers and many without... Then looking at my older boat (new to me) without a dodger. I started thinking... and aspirin for the headache that thinking causes.
Now have owned the boat and live aboard for a year with no Dodger...
But checked with North sails and after lots & lots of dollars, There is a spanking new Dodger on my boat.
The boat came with a Bimini but you can't really read the set of the sails with it in place.... And a dodger is a good place to store small munchkins and other things like keeping your rain gear handy, your chart board and so forth.

Oh it really rained hard this morning and not a drop of water came in through the Companionway.

So to me it was worth it....

Would you acquire a Dodger for your boat??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 10-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodgers: Do we need one on our boat?

Absolutely not. Even if I had a bigger boat.
Old 10-18-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I have a dodger and would not want to do without it. It extends our season a month and also allows for the uses you mentioned.

However, if I were doing a dodger from a sail maker I would get one that easily collapses so I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-18-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My current boat has a dodger. My previous boats did not. My next will definitely have a dodger.

My dodger has a center window that can be easily opened with zippers. In the summer it gets opened and cool breezes come in. In spring / fall the window is closed and we stay warming. In cold / wet weather I have side panels that zip in and provide a lot more protection. The side panels really came in handy on the delivery home. The weather was 50, damp, and breezy. Sitting under the dodger helped the crew stay warm. The other time the dodger saved the day was a trip to Block Island in the rain and storm. By sitting under the dodger I stayed drier than if I was out in the open for the entire time.

Regarding the bimini, I hate not being able to see the sails when its open. However, having a functional wind instruments helps a little. The bimini is really worth it when it's hot and sunny.

Not sure if I would spend the money for a bimini (I use mine only 1, 2 times a year) but the dodger is a certainty.

Barry

Old 10-18-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

I believe that would be up to the owner of the boat as to the "needing a dodger".
I personally like dodgers and have had one on each of my boats that I have owned as well as our present boat. Being in an area that has a moderate winter it is nice to keep dry at the helm and my wife loves to sit where the dodger cuts the cold wind. This makes it easier for us to sail year round. We also have a bimini which is a necessity for me since I have problems due to the sun. We have a window placed in the bimini on ours which allows me to see most of the sail shape in the main. As the old saying goes "there are positives and negatives to everything we do".
Old 10-18-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

We have neither dodger nor bimini. We planned to get a bimini right away when we first got our "new" boat 5 years ago, but then we got used to having an unfettered view of the sails, windex, other boats, etc. and couldn't do it. Same with a dodger. Besides that personal preference, we've got a couple of other factors: we don't sail in wintery conditions, and our cockpit area is crowded enough already.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-18-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
After seeing many boat with Dodgers and many without... Then looking at my older boat (new to me) without a dodger. I started thinking... and aspirin for the headache that thinking causes.
Now have owned the boat and live aboard for a year with no Dodger...
But checked with North sails and after lots & lots of dollars, There is a spanking new Dodger on my boat.

Well, as a baseball fan I used to like the Dodgers, but in recent years they haven't played so well. I'm not sure they would bring anything to the boat as crew so no, I would not want a Dodger on my boat.

A dodger on the other hand *can* be a nice piece of equipment if you are in cruising mode. Esp. here on the Chesapeake it helps by providing a nice place to camp out in the cockpit and get some relief from the weather while still sailing deep into the fall season. Wouldn't want one on a boat that's racing though. INSISTED that the owner remove the dodger on the boat I did Newport/Bermuda on this year.
Old 10-18-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

For cruising, absolutely.

For daysailing, probably wouldn't bother.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-18-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Wait, sailor Dave- are you saying you wouldn't want Matt Kemp on board? He's a five-tool player! Who doesn't need five tools on a sailboat?
Old 10-18-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

My first boat, a CAL 27, did not have a dodger or bimini, but our Tartan 37 does.....we're on our third dodger now and have invested in the full cockpit enclosure and absolutely love it! The enclosure adds a whole new room to the boat and for cruising, this is a huge advantage, especially when the rain hits. My wife and I are shade seekers and don't like the heat, so the shade is a big plus for us. If I had the boat in the Caribbean, I would probably just have the bimini up for shade.
Tartan 37-C, #59