Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I've been out on the water many times and baited a hook and threw it out to see if we could enjoy fish for dinner. I've never caught a thing. I've often thought that was because we weren't in fishing waters, where they are known to be, but instead, out in open water - no food source to attract them. Then I read two stories where I expected fishing to be scarce but instead the fish were all around. The mini ecosystem theory has some teeth.

As for water, I'd definitely include a hand pump R.O. type filter in the survival kit.

With that and some good fishing skills, your chance of survival increases dramatically.
Should we have a "What's in your Ditch Bag" thread ? Probably been discussed before this but a new discussion or a bump for an older thread might be worthwhile.

btw .... the pump Julie posted is a Katadyn.

Katadyn Products Inc. Ľ Select Country

The 35 is not inexpensive (USD2135.00) but they also have a lower output , 06, that is less than half that. The small unit puts out approx 800ml an hour. In survival mode that would probably (possibly ?) suffice for two people, less than optimal but better than nowt.

As for the eco system ..... "big fish have little fish upon their backs to bite 'em. Little fish have littler fish and so on ad infinitum". (or words to that effect )

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I especially liked the part when he realizes that the warranty on the liferaft is good for 20 days.

As well his skill at navigating with pencils to get his latitude is superb. Who needs a GPS?

The lazy.
Old 10-25-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
[/B]

The lazy.

I trust you don't use one of them new fangled calculator thingameejigs for your sight reductions etc ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-25-2012

jeffgauvin is on a distinguished road

For those that liked the book Adrift, or just like survival stories in general, I suggest reading “Deep Survival: who lives, who dies, and why” written by Laurence Gonzales (2003). It speaks to the survivor personality shared by those that survive situations that would kill most of us. He devotes a lot of time to Callahan. The author says that in addition to his experience and skill, Callahan had the quintessential survivor personality. It’s a great read!
blowinstink and MedSailor like this.
Old 10-25-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

"Survive the Savage Sea"
I was sailing the SoPac at the time this book came out. Though it is a great story and I have no doubt that their story of survival is authentic, there is something about the loss of the vessel that just doesn't ring true.
A wooden vessel such as that is massively built and the garboard plank which was supposedly stove in by a killer whale is one of the strongest points.
If I remember correctly, they were in a gale shortly before the sinking and most of us who were sailing at the time (we discussed it a lot), thought it more probable that the plank just came free because of rot at the fastenings. Of course, none of us was aboard, so.....
This is the only case I've ever heard of, where a whale of any sort intentionally sank a vessel, and personal experience with whales has been exactly the opposite; they did everything possible to avoid the boat, successfully.
Mother on one side and the calf on the other, sailing in Hawaii and no trouble.
For any who fear encountering whales, I would suggest quite the opposite; enjoy the show.
For those who enjoy these kinds of books, another story from that era was 117 days adrift.
Old 10-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

On the back cover of that book it says the crew had to survive after a capsize. The author definitely says they were hit by killer whales. He also sketched out the area where they were hit and what it looked like to him when he tried to plug the hole and said much of that area had been replaced prior to taking the voyage. It looked pretty beefy there and I found it hard to understand how a whale could have holed it.

Callahan suspected a whale strike. Robertson and crew saw the whales. I always thought whales had good sonar. But then there's that YouTube video of the whale surfacing right next to a sailboat and hitting it on the way down. Some say it's fake but I couldn't say either way. Maybe we need to find a whale expert. When I read Adrift, I thought about those logs that float just below the surface and how that could have holed Callahan's boat.

I'm on about day 25 in Survive. I think most here would question the preparedness of Robertson. He probably wouldn't even have had a life raft aboard had not a friend of his given him his spare. That raft lasted only 17 days before it became too exhausting to keep afloat. The only time Callahan seemed to have buoyancy problems was when a fish he caught on a spear impaled the raft.

Callahan talked about the occasional shark. Robertson says sharks were their constant companion. Callahan was in the Atlantic, Robertson and crew in the Pacific. Do sharks act differently in the two oceans? Now we need a shark expert!
Old 10-26-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Do sharks act differently in the two oceans?
The book Unbroken documents some seriously shark infested waters in the Pacific. Of course, they were also dodging bullets from the Japanese planes, so....

Unbroken is about a lot more than the month of survival in a life raft in the Pacific, but it's a really good read.
Old 10-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
"Survive the Savage Sea"
snip

If I remember correctly, they were in a gale shortly before the sinking and most of us who were sailing at the time (we discussed it a lot), thought it more probable that the plank just came free because of rot at the fastenings. Of course, none of us was aboard, so.....

snip

For those who enjoy these kinds of books, another story from that era was 117 days adrift.
It's also quite possible that the plank(s) was rotten and all the whale(s) did was to smash it away.

Thanks for the other reference, I knew their was another book from that era but couldn't remember what it was.

Me, I'm not at all worried about whales. I'm sure there have been nasty encounters but you simply cannot fret about every vague possibility.

Old 10-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I just read to the part where Robertson & crew are rescued. I felt exhausted.

I really find the two stories fascinating and it puts into perspective the whole safety/survival aspect of sailing that many of us never think of. I know I didn't.

My introduction to sailing was pretty much seat of the pants. That's how my dad was. While never more than 50 miles from any shore, I sailed many thousands of miles without a lot of things knowledgeable and experienced sailors would never leave the harbor without. A life raft is on that list. And I have been in a few hair-raising situations yet never even thought about the absence of a life raft.

I know this - If I was going to ever do any blue water sailing, reading those books has made me more aware of the necessity of being prepared for anything, rather than thinking those things just happen to the unlucky. As I make my list of things to survey on a prospective boat, I am also making a checklist of safety and survival items that I would want in the event of "the worst."
Old 10-27-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I firmly believe that when your times up, it's up & no amount of preperation will protect you from that. That's not meant to say that until that time comes, you've got a get out of jail card to act stupidly.

Personally I think I'd rather be dead than try to survive for 76 days in a life raft but I'm not 20 anymore either.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.