SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93236-adrift-76-days-lost-sea.html)

JulieMor 10-18-2012 05:54 PM

Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea

I just saw the video of the sailor who was found by the Air Canada passengers and crew. While watching it I was reminded of the book by Steve Callahan - "Adrift".

Has anyone here read it? I thought it was the most remarkable sea story I've ever read.

Here's the TV version for anyone interested. Not nearly as good as the book but a good story still:

jackdale 10-18-2012 05:57 PM

Re: Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea

I especially liked the part when he realizes that the warranty on the liferaft is good for 20 days.

As well his skill at navigating with pencils to get his latitude is superb. Who needs a GPS?

lancelot9898 10-18-2012 06:01 PM

I read it years ago and remember his mention of eating eyes from the fish he caught. Hope to never experience that.

floridajaxsailor 10-18-2012 06:27 PM

book

Yes it's a fascinating book- actually on the reading list @ some prep schools in New England now interestingly enough

The part I found refreshing was how at the end they mentioned how damaged his body ended up~ devoid of romance narrative- refreshing after all the Hollywood drivel
-JD

nolatom 10-18-2012 06:33 PM

I read the book when it came out. He almost didn't make it, at one point on his chart/journal he wrote "near death".

What kept him alive were his two water stills. And the fish he caught, dried, and ate.

The book was graphic enough for me. I watched the video til 2:28 when he wraps the jibsheet around the winch counterclockwise. Technical advisor!!

rugosa 10-18-2012 06:43 PM

Found it at Chapters last year. No drama, just the facts, frustration, determination and luck. What are the odds of making it through and ordeal like that? Basic instincts at work.

rockDAWG 10-18-2012 06:59 PM

Yes, I read the book a few years ago, After reading the book, I always have a pair chopsticks and a rubber band in my ditch bag. I beleive the chopstick being longer (Chinese ones), it will give me more accurate angle reading. :D. Besides, with my chopsticks I will be ready for some good Sushi adrift. :P

Ninefingers 10-18-2012 07:07 PM

I am so grateful that no one, as of yet, has said how they would have done it differently.

smackdaddy 10-18-2012 07:16 PM

Phenomenal book. I will always be amazed most by the behavior of the dorado as time went on, and as his fishing tools decayed. There was definitely something other-worldly happening there.

And nothing but huge respect for Callahan's stones, determination, and ingenuity to survive that. Incredible.

tdw 10-18-2012 07:59 PM

There was also a book by a fellow called Dougal Robertson, "Survive the Savage Sea" about a family whose schooner is taken out by a pod of orcas. Book seems to be still available but couldn't find any video of the film other than in Spanish for some strange reason.