Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Found Sail Boat in my Back yard

For the record, I am still thanking and cursing my dad for teaching me to sail!

Old boat found as a bonus in the yard... dumpster big enough to fit the hull was probably too expensive...

Yep look for a plate near the transom... probably by the tiller, it'll tell you at very least a serial number (which might also be etched into the fiberglass hull on the transom).

Sails are pricey... if it's a laser, then buying a very used sail is cheap (craigslist is your friend). If you can piece it together and it's a laser (here's a quick snapshot of a laser):

Even used it might be worth something (not much if the hull is not sound though).

Look for cracks (spider) or holes in the hull. Especially around were you put the mast. If the mast (like said 2 pieces - tubes) and boom (1 tube) exist and the hardware on it... as well as the daggerboard and rudder... then buying a used sail you might be able to unload the boat for $600-$1000. With a trailer add another $100-$500 depending on shape.

But truly, you may want to attempt sailing it! A laser is a heckuva lot of fun to sail. Don't do it when the water is 50 degrees, and don't wait for 20mph winds or more to take it out (you'll be very unhappy learning in that much wind!).
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012

Drhoward is on a distinguished road

Ya it looks just like the one in the picture, I will take a look around it for damage. Its definatly a few years old I'm thinking 80's or 90's maybe. I'll try to find a serial number on it and look it up. I would like to try it out but I never have the time in the summers here to have much of a life. It's a short construction season up in Canada, lol

Thanks for all your help so far
Old 10-19-2012

olgeezer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drhoward View Post
I'm a new member here as I just recently purchased a house and the previous owners left a small (laser I think) sail boat in the back yard. I don't know much of anything about sail boats so I figured I would ask a few questions. I am probably going to sell it as I don't really have much time to sail in the summer here (Calgary Alberta Canada) due to my job. What should I look for on the boat? It doesn't have a sail but there is a mast and the rudders as well as a small trailer.

Where should I look on it to get an age/model?

I tried to post pictures but I need to have 10 posts before I am allowed

Thanks for all your help in advance

Kev
Lived on Calgary in the 80's on a street backing on the Reservoir, I know that there is an active sailing community. You might check that out as it is ideal for non-powered sailboats such as your recent find.
Old 10-19-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drhoward View Post
Ya it looks just like the one in the picture, I will take a look around it for damage. Its definatly a few years old I'm thinking 80's or 90's maybe. I'll try to find a serial number on it and look it up. I would like to try it out but I never have the time in the summers here to have much of a life. It's a short construction season up in Canada, lol

Thanks for all your help so far
Damn! If you lived closer I would buy it from you! I have been looking for a good deal on a laser! Sails are easy to come by since it is an actively raced class. Serious racers turn over sails long before their useable life is done.
Hull#101
Old 10-20-2012
Capt Nery

nmejicano is on a distinguished road

Following the comments about Florida rednecks. If the hull is in bad shape, place it in your front yard and plant some flowers in it. It will look better than a tractor tire and hopefully every time that you look at it will inspire you to get a sailboat. And, next summer in Alberta you can enjoy sailing, both days.
Old 10-20-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
Burn it. Burn it now.

Pull out and nuke the site from orbit (it's the only way to be sure).

Ken

CarbonSink62 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
sailboat

It is most likely a laser or sunfish- yet as the guys have mentioned it really doesn't have much value these days~ just a hull (especially in old condition) if you send me a picture or a link to the pictures I can tell you what make she is- my advice would be to callblocal saliling clubs- they would love a donation if relatively sound
-JD
Old 10-20-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post
It is most likely a laser or sunfish- yet as the guys have mentioned it really doesn't have much value these days~ just a hull (especially in old condition) if you send me a picture or a link to the pictures I can tell you what make she is- my advice would be to callblocal saliling clubs- they would love a donation if relatively sound
-JD
A Laser with all the rigging could easily fetch $1000 even without the sail. This is assuming the hull is sound. Many lasers have spend most of their lives stored, and if they were stored properly they could be in great shape even if they are old.
Hull#101
Old 10-21-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

This has been an informative thread. I cannot add much, but one eternal truth: The most expensive thing in the universe is a Free Boat.

Lou
Old 10-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
This has been an informative thread. I cannot add much, but one eternal truth: The most expensive thing in the universe is a Free Boat. Lou
Doesn't even come close to a wife.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.