Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Xantrex Freedom HF 1800 Help Please

I have a Xantrex Freedom HF 1800. I recently acquired a transformer that is changing the 220VAC European shore power to 110VAC. Actual measurement on the 110VAC side is more like 127VAC. Of course it is still 50 cycle rather than 60 cycle. The transformer is rated for 4,000 Watts - more than the 30 Amp shore 110VAC.

My problem is that the unit senses the shore power (the yellow light flashes) but will not switch over to start charging the batteries. I have found no useful information on the Xantrex site.

Any ideas?

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Xantrex Freedom HF 1800 Help Please

If you reach the point that you need professional advice, I have used Tekris Power in New Jersey (I am in Texas) for rebuilding and diagnosing problems. I worked with Chris there and he would literally let me take iPhone pictures of the control panel for my xantrex 2000 and message them to him while we were on the phone to diagnose. Really great people. I finally got tired of the old one and bought a new 3000 from them.
Old 10-21-2012

KBuckley is on a distinguished road
Ask Xantrex if it will work on 50hz. The manual states it will only switch over if the power is within specification and it states 60hz as the input a.c. specification.
Old 10-21-2012

steel is on a distinguished road
Re: Xantrex Freedom HF 1800 Help Please

If you could get the transformer (which is probably an autotransformer) to put out like 105v that would be better if you want to plug in things like motors and transformers which are designed for 125VAC max at 60 cycles. You have to drop the voltage (to be precise after subtracting the resistive voltage loss in the coils from your calculation but you can ignore that) by the same amount that you lower the frequency. So a 125VAC 60 cycle refrigerator would work safely at 104VAC on 50 cycles. The same applies to transformers and any other inductive load.

For a transformer or motor that normally draws 3 amps, you should lower the voltage until it does not draw more than 3 amps when hooking it up to 50 cycles.

Having 127VAC which is slightly above the limit and then having 50 cycles instead of 60 cycles could be a problem.