SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   November's issue of Cruising World (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93318-novembers-issue-cruising-world.html)

Mjfossler 10-21-2012 10:08 AM

November's issue of Cruising World

Was very disappointing. Nothing but articles of people going to <insert name of random third-world nation> where the people are so wonderful ( they like your money, not you) written by people who name their children Starshine or Moonbeam. The new boat articles were terrible; the Beneteau Sense 55 was reviewed and there was not even a picture of the interior. Finally, the ads start on page 57 in an 88 page issue.

If I actually paid for this magazine ( I get it for attending the Baltimore Boat Show) I would cancel. As it is, I am thinking of stopping it, if it doesn't improve.

How about some articles on...sailing? Might be a nice change...

JonEisberg 10-21-2012 11:56 AM

Re: November's issue of Cruising World

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjfossler (Post 936593)
Was very disappointing. Nothing but articles of people going to <insert name of random third-world nation> where the people are so wonderful ( they like your money, not you) written by people who name their children Starshine or Moonbeam. The new boat articles were terrible; the Beneteau Sense 55 was reviewed and there was not even a picture of the interior. Finally, the ads start on page 57 in an 88 page issue.

If I actually paid for this magazine ( I get it for attending the Baltimore Boat Show) I would cancel. As it is, I am thinking of stopping it, if it doesn't improve.

Not one of their best, to be sure... However, I think your critique is a bit harsh. Which articles, in particular, are examples of "nothing but" those written by people who give their children New Age names? As to places where "the people are wonderful", I presume you're referring to the article about the Andaman Sea? Have you actually ever sailed there? Turns out, the people really ARE wonderful...

The article on the Sense 55 directs you to their website, where there are more photos of the boat... And Alvah Simon's piece on ditch bags was one of the better ones I've seen of late on the subject...

Most disappointing to me was the piece on the blow that came through Banderas Bay, I thought that could have been far more instructive... Mention was made of the number of chains stripping windlasses, but no real discussion of snubbers, or the importance of a dedicated chain stopper, instead of reliance upon a windlass brake... I would have liked to have seen a bit more about the unusual cover story boat, as well - surprising how short that article was, how little information was given about the design, what sort of underbody the boat has, etc...

Taking potshots at glossy cruising rags is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel, but I think CW continues to do a pretty good job overall... Hey, at least it wasn't another freakin' Charter Issue... And not quite as bad as September, which featured a Cover Story on "13 Scrumptious Ice Cream Stops on the ICW"... (grin)

kd3pc 10-21-2012 12:50 PM

I must agree with the OP, and if you read other magazines by the CW publisher, you often see similar things, some a stretch for sailing.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the color magazines are selling the dream...and if the dream is more work than a potential boat buyer likes...then back to the sofa, remote and game console...and the boat doesn't sell or sail.

I tire of the "green" agenda being shoved down my throat by the sailing/scuba magazines under the guise of research or "news"...when it is neither...and again many magazines by the same publisher will have the same "news"....

As the OP asks, what about some articles on sailing...pure and simple, and leave the politics and agendas for the other magazines I DON'T read.

CBinRI 10-21-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjfossler (Post 936593)

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

misfits 10-21-2012 02:55 PM

I've been getting CW since the early 80's & they have headed in a different direction. The average boater is no longer their target audience.

I'm not trying to pick on her because I've come to enjoy reading her stuff. In one of Wendy Mitman Clark's first articles she felt sorry for the children because being at sea meant they had to give up their polo lessons.

That's what I mean by target audience.

PCP 10-21-2012 03:08 PM

I signed it some years ago but not anymore. I agree with the OP. There is a reason why you can have this magazine almost for free downloaded on ZINIO and others magazines like YachtingWorld keep the price up.

The boat tests are just the worse you can read on any magazine: They only say banalities and all sailing boats are equally good. Never saw a comparative test sail with both boats in the water at the same time. I guess that way they would have to say that one sailed better than the other:rolleyes:

Regards

Paulo

tdw 10-21-2012 06:36 PM

Look I know that these magazines are hard pressed to make a profit and rely so much on advertising but the whole advertorial thing has become more than mildly irritating. The publishing of articles on sundry boat models or pieces of equipment that are nothing more than slightly reworded press releases is quite frankly pathetic.
Not to re-mention the Charter Issues. I confess I still buy Practical Sailor (US) and Good Old Boat on subscription and grab copies of Yachting Monthly and Practical Sailor (UK) when I see them. Gave up on Cruising World and Cruising Helmsman (Aus) some moons past.

oldragbaggers 10-21-2012 07:39 PM

I'm in agreement with the OP entirely and had started a thread about this subject on cruisers forum. We had been subscribers of CW since the early 80's but finally gave up our subscription last year.

Back then there were actually cruising and sailing articles being written by the Pardeys, the Payson's, Bruce Bingham, Katy Burke, among many others. And many ariticles on managing all aspects of living aboard a sailboat and keeping it outfitted and maintained for cruising (and not just an expensive megayacht, but sailboats within the reach of the average sailor). Articles about provisioning and cooking aboard (with galleys like you would find in a modest sailboat, not one that is the equivalent of Rachel Ray's kitchen at home.)

Now it seems to be a cover to cover advertisement for things that only the very wealthy could afford to buy with a smattering of short articles thrown in to justify the title. The majority of boats they review in that magazine cost as much as my house. It's a disappointment to be sure. I know that I for one am no longer a member of the "target audience."

kwaltersmi 10-22-2012 02:15 PM

The above points are a big reason why I find independent blogs far more entertaining, educational and enlightening than nearly all of the glossy magazines ever were. Granted, there are some pretty poorly written/designed/developed blogs out there too, but the price is right and I find that there are generally more well-written sailing/crusing blogs than I can keep up with.

PCP 10-22-2012 02:23 PM

There are some great sailing magazines out there. Just to mention a point I am interested in, there is a huge advantage in read a test sail from a guy that had sailed (and tested) many of the boats that are on the market and a guy that test sailed half a dozen boats of the boats that are on the matket.

Regards

Paulo