SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Microwave and gen. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93335-microwave-gen.html)

nauticalrich 10-21-2012 09:28 PM

Microwave and gen.

I am trying run a small microwave oven on a 1000 Honda Generator.
Thought I might be able to use it at anchor.

I know that a 700 watt microwave will not run on it but does anyone have any experience on a 600 watt?:confused:

joethecobbler 10-21-2012 09:41 PM

Re: Microwave and gen.

just get an inverter and use the genset to charge the batteries. Or buy a 12 volt microwave and forget the inverter.
Or just forget the micro. what do you want a microwave for anyway?
Grill, frypan, oven.

Stumble 10-21-2012 11:19 PM

Or sell that gen and get the 2kw one for $150 more.

jackdale 10-21-2012 11:21 PM

I had a friend who installed a microwave on his boat. I asked him why. He told me that it was to defrost frozen food. I responded that I did that at home; I put my frozen meat in the microwave before I went to work and it was defrosted when I got home, and the cat had not eaten it.

steel 10-21-2012 11:43 PM

Well if the rated power (W or VA) is less than the W or VA rating of the generator it should work. It's not the watt rating on the microwave that matters it's the input rating that should be written on some label. If it lists amps then multiply 120 by the amps and you have VA.

Jak 10-22-2012 11:01 AM

Just remember, is you go with the batteries/inverter solution, make sure the inverter will handle the watts, or you will be in the exact same spot. Look on your genny, most have 2 numbers, the 1000w is peak and not generally what it will put out (espcially if it is a Harbor Freight or made in China model, which also tend to burn out under hard use just when you need them most... )

Tim R. 10-22-2012 11:29 AM

We have a microwave on our boat that we can run any time we want. We don't use it. When we go full time cruising, the MW will come out and we will gain a shelf.

jackdale 10-22-2012 11:33 AM

If you are going to run a microwave without shore power, I strongly suggest that you run your engine at about 1000 rpm while doing so. Otherwise you will be putting a big load on your batteries.

nauticalrich 10-22-2012 06:09 PM

I am forgetting the idea of a microwave. Thanks for all the ifno.

capta 10-23-2012 12:14 AM

We find our microwave to be one of the most useful things on our boat, especially when sailing. With MW special items like the pressure cooker we can cook rice in a heavy sea w/o spilling any water or monitoring. Reheating is fast & simple and heating water for my honey's cocoa is so swift I don't mind "cooking" for her!
2 hot dogs in 1 minute, fresh ears of corn are better than any other cooking method in about 5 minutes! Even fantastic fresh fish can be done in a MW, but it takes a while to learn how to use one successfully.
We use an inverter when we don't run the generator, but considering how short cooking in a MW is, there's not too much drain on the batteries. I would suggest a MW/convection combo, if you can afford the power; another super time saver for only a few bucks more.