Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Climate change?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone in the Chicago area who will say there hasn't been a change of trends in our weather. Mostly that change has been in temperature. It's almost November and it was close to 80 yesterday. Today the high is predicted to be 76. But the leaves are still falling, just as they do every year at this time. Maybe the trees know something we don't.

Of course, there's the loss of the earth's magnetic field that still is weakening today. And that means solar rays will more seriously affect our weather. We know that the poles reverse themselves and that it has happened about 25 times in the last 5 million years. It is believed that flip takes about 1,000 years. The last time that happened was about 740,000 years ago, so we're long overdue. So we may see ever increasing weather changes in our future if we are entering another period of magnetic pole reversal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I think the changing of leaves is based on time of light not as much on temp. I like the warm fall weather boats still in, get to go sailing tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think the talking heads on the TV weather should do themselves a favor and try to educate the public about what probabilties mean and the limits of weather forcasting.
Agreed.. but it seems the weather is slightly more unpredictable now. Growing up in North Queensland (trades lattitude) during the 80's, we used to boast of having monthly weather forecasts. If you wanted to plan a picnic out next week you could do so in complete safety, knowing to 99% certainty what the weather would be.

From some of the replies to this thread, I'm beginning to think you guys don't watch weather trends at all and happily leave the dock based on what some rookie in the Met Bureau tells you!..

That is such a stupid, stupid, thing to do.