Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: A Sobering Realization

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Oh, I updated the avatar cuz, yeah, the other was over 4 years old. The new one is from the boat show this year. Maybe that will bring blessings from the sailing gods.
It's probably going to bring more offers to take you sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"And if you lose your balance and fall down...just call it a random test of gravity and carry on.... "
No no, that's a sure sign of Alzheimer's Disease. Forgetting to disengage the local gravity before falling down is just not something that happens at random.
Old 10-23-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Long ago I developed a theory about sailing and one's footing:

When one is ashore, they walk a straight line.

When one is ashore and drunk, they walk a wavy line.

When one is on board a boat, they walk a wavy line.

When one is on board a boat and drunk...

To alcohol! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!

Homer Simpson
Old 10-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was reading a Cap'n Fatty article in Cruising World the other day. He said after 52 years of being a liveaboard, he had never actually bought a boat. He acquired them, built one, traded for one but had never actually gone out into the market and searched for one to buy.

Now, at the age of 60, after completing two circumnavigations in his 38' Olin Stephens designed sloop, and logging some 20,000+ miles on the water, he wanted a boat that would take him "from 60 to 80."

That's when it hit me. OMG, I wasn't 30 anymore!

In my quest to finally realize my dream of having my own boat and becoming a liveaboard, I realized I was recalling the bulk of my sailing days, when I was in my 20's and 30's, and the less often sailing in my 40's. I recalled how easily I got around the boat, how easily I handled sailing it, and how natural all that had been for me. Surely I can still do that, right?

But while at the boat show I was surprised to find myself a bit less than sure-footed when getting in, out and around the boats. I passed it off to the lack of sleep from the drive there, and being a little rusty. But Cap'n Fatty had just woken me up. I wasn't a kid anymore.

I now fear I may have missed that opportunity, the one where I can sail a boat like I once did. All that has got me to wondering, "What will it REALLY be like sailing off into the sunset?"
I hate to come off as a realist, but I will. I'm late 40's, not in great shape, not in horrible shape, and I live in New England. In the spring, if I don't work out I'm like a rusty old tractor.

Jog, P90X, jump rope, whatever, get the juices flowing. I have found that jogging out on the road is the best thing you can do. Uneven pavement, curbs, dog poo, hills, etc. all get you body used to moving. You don't have to go fast or really far. Just work it.
Old 10-23-2012

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I am 64 my wife is 62. We're heading for retirement in April 2016. Why so long? Well we have to wait till my wife is 65.

I have done two major voyages in my sailing life and on both occasions I came ashore in much better shape than when I left. One was when I was 55 and the next was when I was 59.

I can't wait to go cruising again and let my boat make me younger. In the meantime I live with being a little overweight, a little out of breath after climbing a hill and a little reluctant to go skiing. It will all come right when we go cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-23-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I still think I can ski a double black diamond.
Old 10-23-2012

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still think I can ski a double black diamond.
And you're concerned about sailing a boat? Go figure.
JulieMor likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Oma! What's up dude?

It's great to see you around!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-23-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
In my 60s I'll probably be lucky to cruise down a groomer, which is sort of depressing.
Nonsense! My father is in his 80s, has seriously arthritic hands, and he still goes skiiing every year. Okay, so he doesn't do the double-diamonds anymore. In fact, he only goes to two different places these days: Sol Vista and Eldora (two of the lesser-known Colorado ski resorts). And he only does the blacks that he knows he can handle, and he never does more than one black run per day.

So what! Big deal! He still gets out an enjoys skiing several times each season. In his 80s.

As long as you have reasonable health, you are only too old when you THINK that you are too old.
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-23-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Being addressed as "Sir" makes me feel old more than anything else.
Ya know what makes me feel old, and also sort of annoys me? It's when guys that are obviously 20 years younger than me call me "young man." I'm old. I know it. Anyone who looks at me knows it. There's no need to dance around the fact.

The thing is, as they say, just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there's no fire in the furnace. Or maybe it's like the line from "The Shawshank Redemption"... Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'. I prefer to get busy livin'.
JulieMor likes this.