Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: A Sobering Realization

This age thing always raises it's head and we go ahead and do it anyway. If you are in crappy shape (fits me a couple months of the year) you are going to have problems. If you attempt to stay fit it is amazing what you can do....although slower than when you were 30 something. Probably smarter as well because you know you are not invinsible by now if you are over 60!

Just go sail and see what works out. Go for a weeks charter and see what your body tells you, and then get the boat and have a great time as long as it is your dream.

To the poster that in his 30's is worried about his skiing please move out of the way for the old folks still out there having a great time on the mountain. In my mid 60's I and friends still manage to ski about three weeks of the winter, two of them in the mountains. We don't party nearly as hardy as we once did, but we ski and have a great time and not on many groomers.

Great story that fits the "Am I too old?" question. A couple of years ago skiing at Big Sky in Montana I rode the tram with an older couple. They skiied a minimum of 6 weeks every winter moving from mountain to mountain around the West. They were over 80 and skiied free because of their age. The gentleman told me he had recently switched to a board because it was a little easier on his body but his wife was still on ski's. Right after they told me their story I watched them turn and jump into a forest that was steep and tight. Old? Hell no, they were still young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

This reminds me of a time perhaps 25 years ago when a number of airplanes were having difficulty handling tough wind sheers as they were either taking off or landing. The press reported on a number of these planes and their crews, and it was discovered that the planes and crews that did best were handled by a captain in his 60s. In other words, his experience (there were no female pilots in the small sample) gave him the extra tools to handle the changing conditions more successfully than a pilot who might be younger or with quicker reactions. I say much the same thing to my 17 year old son since he is a new driver.

One bottom line is that as we age we may be less likely to make mistakes, and we are more likely to anticipate conditions and make adjustments before faster reaction is required.

My bottom line? I took my first sailing lesson at age 53, so I'm not gonna let a little thing like age get me out of the cockpit before I wanna go!

Old 10-23-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I know from working in the field of construction you have to work smarter as you get older. The yungins have strength and stamina but not the know how. Knowledge is the great equalizer.

I once told my boss, "I work very hard to make my job easier." He looked confused.
chef2sail and tomandchris like this.
Old 10-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I know from working in the field of construction you have to work smarter as you get older. The yungins have strength and stamina but not the know how. Knowledge is the great equalizer.
As the bumper sticker said; Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.
JulieMor likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 12-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Youth is wasted on the young. Cheers!

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I was reading a Cap'n Fatty article in Cruising World the other day. He said after 52 years of being a liveaboard, he had never actually bought a boat. He acquired them, built one, traded for one but had never actually gone out into the market and searched for one to buy.

Now, at the age of 60, after completing two circumnavigations in his 38' Olin Stephens designed sloop, and logging some 20,000+ miles on the water, he wanted a boat that would take him "from 60 to 80."

That's when it hit me. OMG, I wasn't 30 anymore!

In my quest to finally realize my dream of having my own boat and becoming a liveaboard, I realized I was recalling the bulk of my sailing days, when I was in my 20's and 30's, and the less often sailing in my 40's. I recalled how easily I got around the boat, how easily I handled sailing it, and how natural all that had been for me. Surely I can still do that, right?

But while at the boat show I was surprised to find myself a bit less than sure-footed when getting in, out and around the boats. I passed it off to the lack of sleep from the drive there, and being a little rusty. But Cap'n Fatty had just woken me up. I wasn't a kid anymore.

I now fear I may have missed that opportunity, the one where I can sail a boat like I once did. All that has got me to wondering, "What will it REALLY be like sailing off into the sunset?"
JulieMor likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 10-24-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road

LOL Welcome to the club !

Starting to see the wisdom in ele winches now hummmm some techno stuff are worth there weight & trouble .... wisdom keeps the lil more complicated boat sailing ..

Younggins need simple boats , fastest way to get out there eazy to affore ect... thay can wrassel that anchor onboad lol ...

Wise old folk know better than to let them brushes wear down in that ele motor ect...ect...

Don't let it stop ya , don't even let it slow you & yours down , keep pressing you deserve it ....
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
that music used to make me smile.

Think like a kid again. Everything was possible, and still is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2012

ohgeo is on a distinguished road

JulieMor,

I agree with the consensus here: Just do it! Plan well, of course, but don't plan so long that you never make your dream a reality.

We are all capable of much more than we think we are!

George
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
A long long time ago
I can still remember how
that music used to make me smile.
-Minniewaska
Didnt realize you were a Don McClean fan, Was he a margaherta drinker?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

HD-
Motor brushes? That's so retro-steampunk-1800's. (G) Dropping into a local fan/motor repair shop to replace brushes, or even ordering then from a manufacturer, has become almost as unusual as seeing a polo team riding unicorns.

All kidding aside, brushless DC motors apparently are being used on cordless powertools these days (at a premium price, not in the $100 drills at all) so give it five or ten more years, and the question may be "dude, your magnets came apart in salt air" because there are no more brushes, just two sets of coils and one ring of very powerful magnets in the new motors. Which should keep the compass calibration folks in business a bit longer, too. (G)
HDChopper likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.