SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Sobering Realization

9K views 64 replies 39 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I was reading a Cap'n Fatty article in Cruising World the other day. He said after 52 years of being a liveaboard, he had never actually bought a boat. He acquired them, built one, traded for one but had never actually gone out into the market and searched for one to buy.

Now, at the age of 60, after completing two circumnavigations in his 38' Olin Stephens designed sloop, and logging some 20,000+ miles on the water, he wanted a boat that would take him "from 60 to 80."

That's when it hit me. OMG, I wasn't 30 anymore! :eek:

In my quest to finally realize my dream of having my own boat and becoming a liveaboard, I realized I was recalling the bulk of my sailing days, when I was in my 20's and 30's, and the less often sailing in my 40's. I recalled how easily I got around the boat, how easily I handled sailing it, and how natural all that had been for me. Surely I can still do that, right?

But while at the boat show I was surprised to find myself a bit less than sure-footed when getting in, out and around the boats. I passed it off to the lack of sleep from the drive there, and being a little rusty. But Cap'n Fatty had just woken me up. I wasn't a kid anymore.

I now fear I may have missed that opportunity, the one where I can sail a boat like I once did. All that has got me to wondering, "What will it REALLY be like sailing off into the sunset?"

See less See more
#65 ·
Doctors are like major league baseball players: Often overpaid, morally or ethically lacking, and only able to bat .275 on their best days.

On the other hand some hardworking lackey driving a UPS truck or pouring coffee has to get it right pretty much 100% of the time, or they're gone. Hmmm....

Unfortunately you've got to interview a doctor and often "date" a few of them before you do something radical like "marry" one. So far the best thing I've found about ObamaCare is that an incredible number of older doctors, who never had the business management skills to properly run a practice, are retiring out because "it just costs too much to computerize". Now, how to get rid of the ones with poor medical skills as well....

Which still won't turn an of us into well-conditioned spry eldsters but sure will help prevent further needless damage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.