Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012

NVCATS is on a distinguished road
Re: north sail vs doyle

Only reason to ship sails over seas for construction would be due to some of the high tech cutting and computer software used in high performance sails. There are big lofts through out the US and the Caribbean that still cut their own sails. We all know what big corporations are doing in every field... go local if possible and cut the big box sources off where it hurts. you will be happy with a custom hand made sail with local support
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Which lofts still make sails in the USA or Canada? I'm getting sails this spring and it's one of my prime considerations.

More so than if someone will come measure. How much is that worth? I'm not understanding how that is such a big deal? You can measure yourself or hire someone for $50. So why all the emphasis on a local loft just because they come measure?

North sails is double Lee. I'm trying to understand what I get in that price. More than double Lee actually. And north sails is double north direct, which uses the same material and is probably made in the same factory. So why order from a local loft if they outsource the sailmaking? I'm just trying to understand this.

I found Kappa. They are reasonable. I need to call Doyle. Their website says they are made in the US or New Zealand which is cool.

I know of port townsend, but they wanted double north a price and can't start on it for six months! Are there any other sailmakers I'm missing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have to give Doyle a thumbs down. My head sail when I had them make a new one, when I asked for a sunbrella cover the VP looked at me like I had two heads. The sunbrella was not hemmed, they used that thread sealer and that did not last before it started to have threads coming off. I brought it back and they did more of the same. Again it did not last.

The main sail they made...I brought my old sail to them and they measured it. I told them it was 6" short, the new sail ended up 12" short! 6" shorter than my original one. They told me they would add the 12" for me. I did not bring it back. They left staples in the sail that rusted and stained the sail. And the rope in the foot was too small and would not stay tacked, I had to return it to have that fixed. I would have had them fix the height too, but I did not know it was short at that point.

Last edited by Delta-T; 02-23-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2014
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can go wrong with North or Doyle, I have had great experiences with both. My North genoa was stitched in Hampton, VA in 1999 and has 65,000nm on it and is still going strong..maybe a bit unshapely by now, but that's to be expected from any sail. Also, their customer service here in NZ has been exemplary but, unfortunately, I can't say I had the same experience in the US. And though I don't have any Doyle sails, I have had Phil Houghton at the loft in Whangaeri do some work and could not be more pleased with the quality, service and attitude.

In terms of smaller lofts, check out Sperry Sails out of Marion, Mass. I have a Sperry asym and a Sperry main. I sent the measurements to them and they came up with two brilliant sails. The 1.5oz asym showed up on my doorstep exactly one week after I sent the measurements and it now 5 years and 32,000nm with no problems; flies great! I was so happy with the spinnaker that I ordered my mainsail from Chile when it was time to replace my old one. The main fit perfectly and both sails were FAR less than quotes by the big guys, plus they were stitched in the US and very well made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Local vs mail order

Hey,

I like dealing with a local loft. I want someone who will come to my boat. and measure MY boat. I want them to listen to me, to understand how I use my boat, what I want to do with my boat, and then recommend a sail that is appropriate for that. Then I want them to come to my boat, and help take the old sails down, help put the new sails up, and make sure they were properly built.

I want to be able to take the sail back to them for repairs and maintenance. I want great service, so that if I have a problem during the (too short) sailing season, the sail is repaired promptly.

That's what I like to deal with the local guy. If I were more an expert on sail making, or if I had a simple requirement, like I want the fastest sails because all I care about it racing, or I wanted sails for cruising that would last 10 years, maybe then I would buy mail order sails. But I'm not.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Which lofts still make sails in the USA or Canada? I'm getting sails this spring and it's one of my prime considerations.

More so than if someone will come measure. How much is that worth? I'm not understanding how that is such a big deal? You can measure yourself or hire someone for $50. So why all the emphasis on a local loft just because they come measure?

North sails is double Lee. I'm trying to understand what I get in that price. More than double Lee actually. And north sails is double north direct, which uses the same material and is probably made in the same factory. So why order from a local loft if they outsource the sailmaking? I'm just trying to understand this.

I found Kappa. They are reasonable. I need to call Doyle. Their website says they are made in the US or New Zealand which is cool.

I know of port townsend, but they wanted double north a price and can't start on it for six months! Are there any other sailmakers I'm missing?

Old 02-23-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

+1 for a local loft, just had a new 110% genoa built by Leitch & McBride here in Sidney. Mine is a basic (but nice) dacron sail, but they'll build you any kind of fancy carbon sail etc if you want it. Their sails seem to win a lot of races around here.

Old 02-23-2014
S/V Dreamer - Marieholm26

regatta is on a distinguished road

At last i choose Ulmann sails ...7oz very good manufacture and material.
Perfect cut and very responsive in any conditions..Los very happy😃

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago:
How to Buy New Sails: Local Loft vs Rolly Tasker ? Sailing with Kids

I ended up getting a Doyle.

Basically, they are all made int he same place. You just need a local rep to measure for you so if they bugger it up, its on their dime.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-23-2014

luck66 is on a distinguished road

I've used Lee sails, they make sails that are less expensive.
Old 02-23-2014

MY36 is on a distinguished road

I recently ordered a new genoa from my (relatively) local Doyle loft. They tell me it will be made in Florida. They did come an measure the boat and were responsive to my questions and requirements.

Time will tell if I made the right choice.