Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

One area I found that cuts the real cost of living for me is making my vehicle repairs a hobby. I save real cash doing my own work. I have gotten fairly competent. The work is done correctly. It goes way back for me. to the 60s so I have some experience now. It transfers to the boat, too. Automobile repair is a racket today. I wish our state cops would set up a sting squad. It constitutes grand theft.

A trailer boat would keep you on the water for the years it takes to build the income base you need to keep a boat at a slip. My Marshal Cat boat did that for me and I keep it on a mooring along with the big boat now. I hope you figure it out. I can't do with out the motion of the bay and the ocean air.

Do not wreck the lives of your kids over having a boat during their young lives. You will regret it a lot more than not having a boat.

Down
Sal Paradise likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

I think it was Dorothy Parker who said " You can live without necessities, but when you give up amenities, you're dead".
As stated above,you need to sail with your wife more often.
Lou
Old 01-23-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

My husband and I had a nice long talk before we got married:

1/ no couch potatoes
2/ we participate, not observe
3/ we wouldn't hold each other back from things we enjoy as individuals

Everything comes down to communication and having a true sense of self while allowing for differences of opinions. You chose a marriage so if you want to stay married, I'd spend some time off the boat with your wife and kids until this is resolved. But, I wouldn't sell the boat. I'd reinvest in figuring this miscommunication out. It's either now, or never.

My husband was widowed when we met and married. I'm glad we both were middle-aged and knew ourselves. We also profoundly understand that life is much shorter than we realize and the time we spend on our boat, doing the things we enjoy are priceless.

But, I have to admit I didn't love sailing when we started (I love it now!) but I saw HE loved it and that made me happy. Happy people are better spouses so figure this out so you can stay married AND happy.
bljones, peterchech and outbound like this.
Old 01-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinpnw View Post
...we also profoundly understand that life is much shorter than we realize and the time we spend on our boat, doing the things we enjoy are priceless. ...

...happy people are better spouses so figure this out so you can stay married and happy.
+1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

WOW
10 pages of advice and much of it from divorced guys, that is like learning about explosives from a guy with no arms (just kidding)

Most of us blow more than $1300/year on coffee so I am sure that you will find the $$$ (a couple of side-jobs cover this). I would also bet that if you tell your wife how truly important this is to you as a family activity she will make every attempt to support you.

P.S.- I have been married to the same girl for 28 years
Old 01-24-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Can you afford to keep the boat? No. None of us can, but like crack addicts, we continue to pour money into our habit.

I got started in sailing to have something we could do as a family. My kids have been sailing since they were toddlers and today, as young adults, we continue to enjoy sailing together. Best thing I ever did as far as my kids are concerned.

Your boat expenditures don't seem too outrageous, but if you need to convince the wife that this is money well spent, calculate how much it costs you to keep her around. The boat is probably a bargain in comparison.
ABH3 Boyer likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 01-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

This is an old thread; I'd be curious to find out what happened. Hopefully things worked out for the best.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
WOW
10 pages of advice and much of it from divorced guys, that is like learning about explosives from a guy with no arms (just kidding)...
Divorced guys can be very wise. For instance, very few guys getting married for the first time would even consider a prenup...
misfits likes this.
Old 01-24-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road

There's a famous quote:

"If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is commonly attributed to J. P. Morgan in response to a question about the cost of maintaining a yacht

But recently I read an op-ed piece that suggested the quote is misinterpreted. The common interpretation of this is that you need to have a lot of money to keep a boat. The editorial suggested that the point of it was more about how you value boating, not how much money you have. For those of us who have the urge (disease?), there is simply no question, we're going to be out on the water. It may be a super yacht or it may be a kayak, but we're going to do it.

Remember there is no such thing as a practical boat, unless it's a work boat. All pleasure boating is impractical. In the same sense, there is no such thing as an affordable boat if you don't value boating.

I will disagree with those in the thread who would argue against your wife's viewpoint. I think that would only increase friction. My opinion is to keep the peace and get a boat that costs less to maintain. Working longer hours in order to keep the boat is not logical, it would end up taking away from sailing time. Going into debt is even worse.

G. J.
Old 01-24-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Get a bigger boat. ....... errr yes I am single now but happy.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.