Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

I had another friend sell a real 1973 RS Porsche about 10 years ago for $45,000.00 so she could get a new kitchen. The car's worth over $300,000 now and she needs a new kitchen again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Thank god ,even in my youth, with my brain awash in mentally disabling hormones , I could still see such parasitic users coming a mile away, despite the wishful thinking , hormonally driven temptation to live in a romantic fantasy world.
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-22-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I'd find out what the real issue is? You are only getting.. half the information.

Remember that men are from mars, women are from venus. So, my translation is that she has another, in her mind, better use for that $1300. I'd find out what she has in mind for the $1300. Once you have all the information, then you can see if you can work out a solution that's mutually beneficial. Do you have a way to earn the additional $1300. ?
Or cut some personal expense to make it up?

I'm also hearing that it's YOUR boat, I didn't get the impression that she goes sailing with you. Why is that? I hear you talking about taking the kids sailing....is this a fear thing? or a financial thing? Have you had the kids on the boat? How does that go?

Like I said.... not enough information... I wouldn't do anything until I had all the facts.
jrd22 and Bilgewater like this.
Old 10-22-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

$1300 is obviously NOT your total boating cost

A wife that hates boats is gonna hate boats

My wife pretty much came to HATE sailing on are J24 and i can not say i blame her as it became a PITA boat as we aged from a comfort standpoint

On the other hand she LOVES the Cal 29 and so does everybody else that you could NOT PAY to go out on the J24

We are both much more happy and spend far more time together sailing than we ever have as the Cal performs well enough for me and its stable manners just make it FUN and SHE actuality plans overnight trips now as she enjoys getting away in a boat that has reasonable comforts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
here is a plan

first: at quiet moments sit wistfully staring into space.... make sure she spots you and asks you waht you were doing.... thinking about sailing is the answer

second: buy sailing books from amazon for $1 each. Leave them around the house. read passages out. buy some childrens sailing books,read them to the children

third: watch sailing films on you tube with the volume turned up

some of mine have just music with them - this a good one

if she hears it a couple of times she is bound to ask what it is

ktl 138 film troublesome reach - looks better on your telly - YouTube

ive never seen blocks on the tack of the jib what do they help with?
Old 10-22-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

and to the op you really don't need a lot of money to boat. if your alright with the boat looking a little ugly you can get away with out paying a lot. i got the free boat this year. and only paid for some gas and some new lines. im about $200 into the boat for the whole season so far.
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-22-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Something you can try is finding out if your marina will do half seasons? You can launch her in July and might save close to half. I know some marinas on Lake Michigan will do month by month slip rentals too.

We had to take a break for 3 yrs from boating until the $$ was saved and it made since to do it again. So maybe think about taking a year off?

As some have mentioned already, take your family vacations on the boat. Instead of flying to Disney Land or spring break in FL. That alone will save you more than enough to keep the boat in the slip.

Anyone here giving advice on how to deal with your wife is just silly. You know her, they don't. Do what's best for your kids. I the end they are all that matters. Not you, not her and certainly not the "BOAT".
Old 10-22-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
ive never seen blocks on the tack of the jib what do they help with?
no winches

two part purchase

works a treat

when the wind is light I go back to single sheets

very traditional on the broads and east coast fishing smacks

Dylan

Old 10-22-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Tell her you are going to take up golfing, then tell her what the green's fees are. Or skiing and tell her the price of a lift ticket. Hell,,,$50 is my usual bar tab...and don't even think of asking me to give that up.
Old 10-22-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Boats are a totally ridiculous expenditure that cannot be justified on the level of finances alone.

That said... I am very happy w/ the boat I bought last winter after looking and looking and looking and dreaming and thinking and...

While I had owned smaller trailer sailors and had crewed on larger boats and even was in a small private club of owners (we owned 3 30' boats) I wanted a boat that was MINE. Mine to rig, sail, care for the way I wanted to. I spend endless hours thinking about what I want to do, how I want to rig stuff and lots of time just puttering around on the boat.

Now granted my kids are 21 and 18 and also don't live we me any more. But I remarried last year and have been working 6 day weeks since...how long now?

The ADMIRAL loves sailing and even took a JWorld class this fall to get better.

The point of this rambling post is that from a dollars only approach the boat is not a good deal. It's the intangibles you get from owning the boat that make it worthwhile. As I've commented, most of the boat owners live a lifestyle in that sailing is just part of owning. Maintenance, comradery w/ your dock mates, IMPROVED attitude towards the responsibilities of life, work, family and home...

As also noted, if wifey doesn't support you in your endeavors (within reason) maybe it's time to take a look at your relationship. And as also noted, what does she think you should do w/ that $$$?

My ex hated sailing, came to resent me for it (although that was just the symptom, not the cause) and was just a sour person.
This time around it's like night and day!