Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

This topic interests me as my wife and I (together) made the decision to sell our boat. We both love it. Our daughter loves it. This is our only hobby. It was a very difficult decision. We (again, together) agreed that we would buy a small day sailer that we can trail to the lake, store in our backyard, and still enjoy sailing as a family. We will probably sail more than we do now since we can go to the smaller lakes close by. BTW, our slip fee is just under $3K annually. This is what will allow us to be financially responsible and continue to sail.

As much as everyone keeps telling you that money does not matter, you have to do what is comfortable for you. I find those that say money is not important have plenty of it. Before I got married I used to fly for fun. It got to be too expensive for me. I got into serious debt funding my habit. I made/make a good living as an engineer. My wife was lucky enough to never have been flying with me but still got to pay the bills. After we dug me out of the debt hole I created we bought our boat.

The economy is in the toilet. Jobs and money are getting more scarce. You and I came of age in a falsely strong economy (can we say tech boom and bust). Life is not like that right now.

You are married with kids. While having fun is important you chose the family responsibility. Sometimes you don't get to do what you want to do. Welcome to the real world. I tried doing what I want while ignoring the cost. I am now 10 years behind my peers financially. While they can really afford boats now, I have to sacrifice to many basic conveniences in life to afford it. Living life like you may die tomorrow is the opposite extreme of what your father did. Find a happy medium, be thankful for your family, and find a true compromise so you can still sail, even if on a small day sailer.

If you all think sailing is expensive, try flying.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2012

timangiel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrewer View Post
There are some boats moored off of Furhman blvd I think at Tift St. Not sure of the name of the marina there. THis might save you some $.

Mike
Those are the only ones I have ever seen, South End Marina?

Maybe Erie Basin Marina would let you keep it parked there on a trailer with the rig up, but you would still have to launch it everytime you used it. That would be a pain and you would end up using it less.

There are some docks over by the West Marine on Niagara street that might be less expensive, but you would need to go through the Black Rock Lock everytime you go out.

There is no easy answer for you, good luck.
Old 10-23-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I had a similar post typed up last night, but chickened out. However, because this thread keeps growing, I have to chip in my $0.02...

You are concerned about whether or not you can afford to continue sailing. Here's news for you: owning a boat can usually NOT be justified as a good financial decision. (ya, I know that there are a few folks that have turned a profit, but they are the exception) Here is another bad financial investment; having children.

I am assuming that you contribute to your household expenses and chores...

The way that I would handle this, and I am not recommending that you do the same, would be to say; "OK, you win - I will give up the boat to protect our retirement, as soon as you give up one of the kids. Which one of the kids do you want to part with?"

I hope that you wife realizes how lucky she is that you are even thinking about surrendering your passion to please her. She is also lucky that she hasn't married a crotchety old fart like me.

Good luck to both of you!
Old 10-23-2012

MattSplatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
... I can trailer it and launch it but setting up the mast every time I wanted to go sailing would take an hour out of a 4 hour sailing trip.
So the dock fees are a convenience.

If you started taking the boat out for, say, a 36 hour sail then the hour spent raising and lowering the mast would become more trivial. :-D

(just trying to add another perspective to this very interesting thread)
groggy and ABH3 Boyer like this.
Old 10-23-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

It's a trailer sailer...Find a marina you can leave it stored on land with the mast up...Then you just have to "load and launch" when you get to the marina...Anchor out whenever practical or possible (it's more fun than sitting in a slip) and cook on board...

I have my boat (26') on a trailer on Superior right next to the Apostle Island National park system ....

$80 a month on land is my major expence (4-5 month season) ...with a couple $30 transient slips from time to time just to emerse in the local flair... Less than half what your paying now and no worries bout sinking at the slip, getting hit by neighbors or trashed on the dock from surge waves....

But like most here, I don't think money is the real issue...need to find out what's really up with your lady...
Old 10-23-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Can you afford to sail? First of all, I have to say that I love sailing, I don't know why. I get a huge kick out of cutting two poles in the woods and tying my poncho to them and sailing my canoe down a lake. And I have my camping gear in the canoe and camp out where I stop.

I enjoy any type of sailing, from a sailfish (like a surfboard with a sail) to a huge expensive sailboat, they are all great as long as they handle well. I hate a dog of a boat that can't track and broaches. So you can adjust your sailing to your budget.

You can make sailing as cheap or expensive as you want. If you have money to burn, it's easier. If you want to go inexpensively, it might be less convenient, but then, I consider making money inconvenient. If you don't want to give up your home and live aboard, it's still possible to sail often.

I purchased a sailboat on a trailer less than ten years ago. My wife cried (literally). She said I'd never be able to fix it. I repaired it, and we sailed it for a few years. I sold it at a good profit. Without investing any more money I have gone from a centerboard 16 ft. dinghy to a 23' Hunter plus a 24 ft. Seafarer. OK, I have five boats, but only three are obvious if you visited me.

By keeping my boats on trailers I have the luxury of having them close by. I can go anywhere my truck can go, and launch them myself. In today's market there are boats everywhere. I only look at ones that come with a trailer, the trailer seems to be free. Or the boat is. There are so many boats that the trailer is the deciding factor. It should be sound and have brakes. The trick is to buy boats that are basically sound but cosmetically awful. Take your time, cruise the Internet. Buy in the late fall. I could have huge boats for the same or no money, but I need to trailer them at this time in my life.

You should look into a mooring instead of a slip. It's cheaper, and your boat is always set up and on the water. You don't "need" to trailer a dinghy to get to the boat. We carry an inflatable canoe (Sea Eagle from Amazon, called a kayak but more like a canoe) which we can carry in the back of the car. We show up, inflate it, and paddle to the mooring. The car is cheaper to drive than the truck, which could carry a hard dinghy or canoe, it's a hundred miles round trip. If we have a lot of stuff, we can bring the boat to the dock and load up, but we usually just make a couple trips with the inflatable. Don't get a "turtle" shaped inflatable unless you have a motor. We tow the inflatable on a very short tether, and when done just deflate it and stow it, washing and drying the next day at home. We anchor out, and cook on board. My wife brings art supplies, her camera, and a good book. I bring a guitar and tools and dive gear. She likes to hold the tiller occasionally, read books and do pastels. I decided to ignore pastel stains on the cleaned and repaired boat. Last time out she wanted to do the anchor. I forgot to tell her about mud and she got very upset about getting mud on the jib. Big deal!!

I spend more on beer than I do on sailing. I'd rather give up beer than sailing. If I sell a couple of my boats, I'd be $$ ahead of the game.

Yes, setting up the trailer sailer is inconvenient, but so is making more money and paying someone else. We go for at least overnight, so it's only set up, or take down. Arrive early enough to do the job. Do all you can yourself, all boat work is a ripoff. Get digital charts for free or cheap. With the trailer you can work on the boat at home. Heck, I slept on mine the last two nights just for fun. My back feels better than when I sleep in the bed!

I wouldn't be thrilled with a motor cruiser. I literally hate motoring, it's torture for me. Sailing is a joy. I'd rather watch paint dry than motor in a boat. I'd rather be poked in the eye. Heck, I'd rather make money than motor in a boat. Strangely, I think 95% of the sailboats we see are motoring, even in perfect sailing conditions. I like to sail onto and off our anchor or our mooring. Perhaps because when a child we never thought of a motor on a sailboat. But, you have to wait for wind and tide. Fine with me, I'm not out there to make money on a schedule. If I was I'd motor, but not enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

divorce

LOL

-JD
Old 10-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
.....I'd rather give up beer than sailing......
Liar...... That's like trying to decided which child to save from drowning. Can't be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Just say no.
Old 10-24-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Liar...... That's like trying to decided which child to save from drowning. Can't be done.
Well, I'll have to admit, beer tastes better after a long sail! So maybe I'd cut back a bit on both. Or, sell one boat, and "invest" the money in a boatload of beer! Lately I've been addicted to (made in Maine) "Frye's Leap" IPA. Rich, complex bitter flavor, I discovered it when sailing. Don't try it, you might like it.

Frye's leap is a local cliff on Sebago Lake where IIRC Frye (of Fryeburg fame) jumped to escape Indians. Extremely deep below the cliff. The bottom of the lake is below sea level.