Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Why so many unused boats?

We have all seen it, in our own marinas. It seems to be everywhere. As long as I can remember (& we have been boating for 30yrs) we have seen boats in slips at our marina that never have anyone on-board.

For instance this year at Michigan City Washington Park marina we had 2 nice 40 foot sail boats as dock mates. We made the 150 mile trip every weekend except for 2. Plus we spent 2 weeks there on vacation. We never saw a person on those boats. Looking at them you can tell they weren't there over the week either. Bird droppings and spider webs all over them.

There's 111 slips on our dock, we are at the end, so we walked past every boat all the time. If I had to guess I'd say at least half the boats never had anyone using them. I mean just their. I know half of them never left the slip.

We just wonder why have a boat at all. If you never use it. I'm certain not all these people are millionaires. I guess it's their money and they can do what they want with it. Of coarse it's non of our business and we really don't care, but makes you wonder WTF....lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road
Re: Why so many unused boats?

I work weekends so I sail during the week when it's me and the other commercial guys/gals doing our thing. I had about 40 days sailing this year and there are two months to go. I think I sailed one Saturday the whole year. So if you go out on the weekend you might think I'm one of the non-sailor sailors. But yes I don't know why they let their boats go like they do. The empty slips do keep the slip rates down, and we all like that.
Brad
Lancer 36
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 10-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It's like that everywhere. Several factors at work. "New" boats get used a lot then it tapers off as life intervenes. Many wives don't like sailing which cuts usage down. Some people only go when they can go for a few days, rarely daysailing. The bigger a boat is the less it gets used due primarily to crew requirements. Kids turn into teenagers and find other interests. Lots of them sit unused solely because selling them means accepting the loss of the dream. That last one covers a LOT of boats in boatyards as well. Huge numbers of boats sit on the hard, accumulating storage charges simply because the owners are unwilling to face the reality that they will never get them restored.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Whenever I see a message like this, I get the sense that there is a bit of jealousy or envy buried under the guise of inquiry or wonder. Boats are long term investments like houses...so decisions to dispose of them naturally proceed slower than things like cash, motorcycles, something else you'd just post on craigslist. Who knows, maybe the boat is being used as a floating vacation home for when the owner comes into town for the 2-3 weeks a year vs. buying waterfront vacation property. People buy vacation homes/real estate all the time and let it idle except for vacation time....

So, rather than focusing on all the boats that sit there idling away in the marina, I focus on maximizing the utility I get out of my own boat. Life's short, I worry about my own sailing season
peoples1234 likes this.
Old 10-22-2012

Sic Semper Tyrannis is on a distinguished road
Didn't use mine near enough this year.

Lots of excuses. Too hot. No wind. Too much wind. Kids have something to do. Wife has something to do. I have something to do. Shoulder messed up and hard to winch. Beach traffic is bad.

It sucks. I am one of those people that life gets in the way and the boat sits.

I think I worked on her more than I used her.

But those couple of.times where she dropped her shoulder and drove through the waves as we tacked up wind then bore away on a screaming reach were worth every penny to me.
Old 10-22-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
I work weekends so I sail during the week when it's me and the other commercial guys/gals doing our thing. I had about 40 days sailing this year and there are two months to go. I think I sailed one Saturday the whole year. So if you go out on the weekend you might think I'm one of the non-sailor sailors. But yes I don't know why they let their boats go like they do. The empty slips do keep the slip rates down, and we all like that.
Brad
Lancer 36

I'm the same. Sucks because I'd like to get in as crew for some races.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 10-22-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Boats are long term investments like houses...
LoL! That's a good one! Investment! I would say it is more like a depreciating asset, which is why it is so hard to understand. I can see old inexpensive boats that have long since been paid for getting neglected. What I don't get is the boat that was worth over $100K getting neglected for years until it is only worth $20k. I guess some people have more money than they know what to do with! I wish I had that problem, so yeah, I guess that makes me jealous!

Quote:
The empty slips do keep the slip rates down, and we all like that.
Around here there are no empty slips, which makes it even more frustrating because there are so many people who would love to get a boat, or a bigger boat, but can't because there is no dock space for them.
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 10-22-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
reflect

Great post my friend very interesting
reflective you must be a writer/ creative type- I too wonder those types of things often
to me it is also signs of this incredible economy that this country WAS blessed with for so many years now

how many people in places like Haiti whom can only afford a tent- yet we have cars, boats- ten pairs of shoes, literally
all these ridiculous things that we waste

Personally, my boat get treasured everyday- whether lived on, worked on, or sailed- it will be that way until I have to sell it, or my estate' auctions her off... who knows hopefully never, or until I buy the next one
God Bless
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-22-2012

donlofland is on a distinguished road

I hope if I ever lose interest, or when I begin to lose ability, I sell mine to another eager beaver to enjoy, sail and maintain before she wastes away...
Old 10-22-2012

ext222 is on a distinguished road

With no intent to offend, it is a mistake that many seem to make that a boat is an investment like a house. It is not. Boats are like women, they may improve to a certain point, but at some point they begin to decline and only with massive amounts of capital infusion can they keep their looks, and even then, then new models out perform them. At that point, only those of us who remember them in their glory find them more attractive than the young ones.

Strictly financially speaking, the idea that a boat is an asset like real estate is wrong. They can always build newer and nicer boats, while real estate is limited.

Again, no intent to offend, I just disagree with your thinking on this.
floridajaxsailor likes this.