Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Halloween Hurricane

The Erie Canal is closing and dropping the water levels down in preparation of the storm. Just got this from their email alert system:

HURRICANE SANDY 10/26 UPDATE

The Erie Canal from Lock E-8 (Scotia) to Lock E-17 (Little Falls) is projected to close at 7:00 AM on Sat, October, 27, 2012. Water levels in this section will begin to be lowered, at that time, to approximately 3-5 feet below minimum navigation levels. Any vessels remaining in this section which are able to navigate at reduced water levels, will be allowed to transit to safe harbor. Additional closures are possible depending on the storm track.

For updates and information monitor 1-800-4CANAL4 and New York State Canals.
03:58:30PM 10/26/12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
And I always thought Maine was part of Canada with all those sissy little black flies compared to those here in the Adirondacks....eh.
Clearly you have never had the joy of working in the woods in Nova Scotia in the spring. They have magnificent blackflies!

And St. Margaret's Bay is beautiful.
Old 10-27-2012

Here is an inundation map prepared by SLOSH (Sea, Lake, and Overland Surge from Hurricanes) showing expected submerged land in the NYC Metro area, color coded to category of hurricane. Might help someone with planning.

Old 10-27-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
IF.. IF it does happen the way they say it could it will be the worst storm to hit the Jersey Shore since 1938.
Maybe it'll wash away that TV show!
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Here is an inundation map prepared by SLOSH (Sea, Lake, and Overland Surge from Hurricanes) showing expected submerged land in the NYC Metro area, color coded to category of hurricane. Might help someone with planning.

Thanks for that skygazer. I have seen that before but it is timely so I don't have to go search for it.
We are about 3/8" up the Hudson from the bottom of Manhattan, practically in the "Red Zone" for Cat. 1 flooding.
I'm looking for higher ground to park my car when the SHTF. This map helps me a lot.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2012

Jim McGee asked me for a SLOSH of NJ. Too big, will mess with the page width. But here is a link to all of the counties (half way down) and a very good - and large - state map of NJ/NYC (State Roads Slosh Map):

New Jersey Office of Emergency Management

I can hardly bear to look at these maps, but they are important. Remember they show only storm surge, heavy rains can swell rives and add to the height of the salt water.

In NYC, 80% of people have never experienced a hurricane of such potential, and may wait too long to realize the danger. Remember that at a certain point subways will be flooded. Make sure to move out before roads are submerged.

The terrible inconvenience of moving out beats the heck out of terrible suffering.

On another site I saw the prediction that NYC police will be in boats, rescuing looters from drowning. For my money thieves can be left to swim holding onto their goods. There is a monkey trap where you bore a hole into wood, and put a nut or anything in the pocket below. The monkey reaches in, grabs the nut, and his paw is too big to withdraw. Greed makes the monkey hold on and be trapped long enough for the hunter.
Old 10-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Clearly you have never had the joy of working in the woods in Nova Scotia in the spring. They have magnificent blackflies!

And St. Margaret's Bay is beautiful.
Some day would love to sail up through The Richelieu through the Chambly and sail up that way. It's on my bucket list. Thanks for that SLOSH link. They're predicting 14" of potential rain for wherever this comes ashore...unbelievable.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoo...l_Days_1-5.gif

Last edited by smurphny; 10-27-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: error
Old 10-27-2012

I'm seeing private forecasts that say the wind speeds will be highest on the north side of the storm, due I think to the polar jet.

Also that the storm may ease a bit, but don't become less vigilant, because they expect it to immediately re-intensify.

I'm passing this info on because I've been less than thrilled with the way the whole forecasting thing has been handled.
Old 10-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If this storm makes landfall along the NJ coast, the water that piles up in the NY bight and along the LI shore could be devastating. They're evacuating Fire Island already. It would not take a lot to break another inlet or two through the barrier islands. I would not want to be anywhere near Shinnecock Inlet or Dune Road for this.
CalebD likes this.
Old 10-27-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Very glad we put in bigger/taller pilings this past spring at our condo assoc.
Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.