Halloween Hurricane - Page 17 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Re: Halloween Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Question to all:
If you owned a boat that was in the condition Bounty was reported to be in here, would you have made the trek to FL?
A clear: NO, NEVER!
Minnewaska likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Although this says plan view, it should have said elevation view. It's of a vertical slice north to south through the center of Sandy' GFS solution just off the coast of NJ.

You can see how complex the warm core interaction is with the surrounding air masses, I'm not kidding when I say it could and I hope it does suddenly die on the vine, well, not die but stop intensifying or even fizzle.

...and you say that there's a lack of information out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
post #163 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

For a slight change of direction, I just went down to look at LI Sound. I've never seen it so ugly.
post #164 of 265 Old 10-29-2012
Barquito

Waves in southern Lake Michigan are forcast to be 30' Tues night. This thing is big.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #165 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Waves in southern Lake Michigan are forcast to be 30' Tues night. This thing is big.
We're already getting high wind warnings. Right now I'm about 16 miles WSW of southwest corner of Lake Michigan. I'm having a hard time believing that the breezy conditions I'm seeing can be coming from Sandy.

30' waves in Lake Michigan is killer. Let's hope they are wrong.
post #166 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
It's been reported that the Bounty was in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center, so I think it's fair to assume that they had the best information that was available. I'd say we need to wait until we know more about how, why, and what decisions were made before we start assigning blame.
Sorry, but "the best information available" at the time of the BOUNTY's departure from New London was that Sandy was going to be a remarkable "Perfect Storm" of extraordinary complexity, and in all probability guaranteed to compare in intensity and duration to the Ash Wednesday Storm 50 years ago... To attempt to shoot the gap between Sandy and The Graveyard of the Atlantic, in such an unweatherly vessel, seems to me nothing short of sheer lunacy...

And, if you're gonna look for anyone else but the Captain of the BOUNTY on which to place "blame" for this tragedy, well, then we have nothing further to discuss...
post #167 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Sorry, but "the best information available" at the time of the BOUNTY's departure from New London was that Sandy was going to be a remarkable "Perfect Storm" of extraordinary complexity, and in all probability guaranteed to compare in intensity and duration to the Ash Wednesday Storm 50 years ago... To attempt to shoot the gap between Sandy and The Graveyard of the Atlantic, in such an unweatherly vessel, seems to me nothing short of sheer lunacy...

And, if you're gonna look for anyone else but the Captain of the BOUNTY on which to place "blame" for this tragedy, well, then we have nothing further to discuss...
I'm not actually looking for anyone to blame. But obviously, you're free to blame whomever you choose.
post #168 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

I'm just not following how the Bounty could have possibly thought it was going to get far enough East to avoid Sandy. At the time of their departure, it was well known to be a big problem in the Northeast, they would have needed to get a third the way to Europe to avoid it. Then they must have tracked back to the West to try to outrun it? If they realized the flaw, they should have returned north, as it was then becoming very clear it was a Jersey landing.

I just don't get it and now it sounds as if some lives have been lost. Very tragic. I'm sure there are some decision makers that will live with this for the rest of their lives. I won't pound further on them, but we probably can learn from this as we understand more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #169 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

It was for sale in a very dismal market. Makes you wonder why you would head south toward FL with a hurricane in the Caribbean.

S/V Never Land
Westerly Centaur
post #170 of 265 Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
It was for sale in a very dismal market. Makes you wonder why you would head south toward FL with a hurricane in the Caribbean.
To collect the insurance?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.