Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Agreed, "blame" is probably an unfortunate choice of words...

While being little more than a semantic distinction, the point I was trying to make was that it was the Captain, and the Captain alone, who ultimately shoulders the "responsibility" for this tragedy...
I agree that the Captain bears the ultimate responsibility for the ship and safety of the crew. But my feeling, at this point, is that I don't want to second-guess someone who had far more experience and knowledge of the situation as it developed than I do. I can't sit here in my warm, dry home and criticize the decisions he made without knowing why he made them. Or even what exactly those decisions were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Pressure at 939mb. Winds at 90mph. Traveling at 28mph. And they say there is so much power in the storm it will take hours, even 10's of hours, before it begins to lose strength once it makes landfall. This storm is a terror!
Juggernaught. Winds outside the boat are 45 steady gust hit 63 on tridata wind instrument, driving rain sideways, Haleakula bouncing around in slip. Just had a nice bowl f homemade chili after walking around the docks, which took a huge effort , my Gill folulies are great, nice and dry inside, took my snorkel mask and put it on, as well as boots,

Got the picture......Halloween early.......trick or treat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-29-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Steve ,

Is that Ventnor and Trenton next to Chelsea Towers. Spent summers in AC growing up.

Dave
I don't know exactly. I'm from Philadelphia originally and spent my share of time in AC, but I haven't been there in many moons.

More pictures here: Sandy: Photos by our readers
Old 10-29-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Juggernaught. Winds outside the boat are 45 steady gust hit 63 on tridata wind instrument, driving rain sideways, Haleakula bouncing around in slip. Just had a nice bowl f homemade chili after walking around the docks, which took a huge effort , my Gill folulies are great, nice and dry inside, took my snorkel mask and put it on, as well as boots,

Let me know if you have some suggestions for these guys:

Toronto 2 St Maarten
Old 10-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:

While you're out walking around, don't forget the words of Ron White, "It's not THAT the winds are blowin', it's WHAT the winds are blowin'."

Skip to 4:00...

Last edited by JulieMor; 10-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Julie, that's a classic. Saw him in person. Great comic relief among all of this. Thanks.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I agree that the Captain bears the ultimate responsibility for the ship and safety of the crew. But my feeling, at this point, is that I don't want to second-guess someone who had far more experience and knowledge of the situation as it developed than I do. I can't sit here in my warm, dry home and criticize the decisions he made without knowing why he made them. Or even what exactly those decisions were.
Well, looks like I'm not the only one who's mystified about this one...

Quote:

Picton Castle captain questions Bounty being at sea during storm

October 29, 2012 - 11:08am By BEVERLEY WARE South Shore Bureau

BRIDGEWATER – The captain of the Picton Castle says he cannot understand why The Bounty was at sea when a massive hurricane was forecast to hit.

Indeed, Dan Moreland postponed leaving Lunenburg more than a week ago precisely because of Hurricane Sandy.

“It was an easy decision to make. It’s black and white, there are no nuances with this. It’s a huge system and that made the decision very simple,” he said.

Moreland said he has known Robin Walbridge , the long-time captain of The Bounty, for years and he is an experienced seaman.

But Moreland said he was shocked Walbridge decided to sail given the forecast.

“Yes, I have to say yes, I can’t say anything else. When I first heard The Bounty was out there I thought, ‘You’ve got to be kidding,’ ” Moreland said.

He said there was very good information on the storm well in advance.

“I don’t understand this one at all,” Moreland said. “This is a huge system, there is no way of avoiding this, there’s no dodging and weaving around it.”

He said he is sorry two crew members are missing.

Moreland understands the agony of losing a crew member. Laura Gainey, a deckhand aboard Picton Castle, was swept overboard during rough seas in December 2006 and her body was never recovered.

In Feburary 2010, the Lunenburg-based Concordia sank in a storm off the coast of Brazil. All 64 students and staff were rescued after spending 40 hours in life rafts.

Moreland said The Bounty’s crew will be facing horrendous conditions in life rafts right now, and that rescuing them by air is a “very desperate measure,” something he described as “a last possible option.”

At this time, 14 people were being airlifted from the scene and he said conditions would be rough. “They’ll be whopped around and feeling every wave.”

Moreland expects The Bounty’s sinking to rightly come under intense scrutiny.

“When you lose a ship there are some pretty obvious questions out of this. It’s pretty horrible and the big question is, the decision to go.”

Picton Castle captain questions Bounty being at sea during storm | The Chronicle Herald
Old 10-29-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Chef, I doubt I need to say this to you, but we can all use a reminder. CALCULATE YOUR RISKS CAREFULLY!
To all on the coast, be careful and good luck.
Old 10-29-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Adventures of Salacia: Hurricane Sandy Day 3

some videos of our marina flooding, I think we got off fairly lucky. One last tide to go.

Let hope Sandy doesn't bring the damage to NE area like they predict.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 10-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
NJ Gov Christie Chastises EM Officials Who Didn't Listen

NJ Gov. Chris Christie has just publicly chastised those emergency management officials who didn't heed his warning. He said EM rescue efforts have been suspended until tomorrow and "if you can hear me... you'll have to just hunker down."

In Atlantic City some sought shelter in a building only a block away from the shore and "that area is now under water."

Christie had earlier ordered a mandatory evacuation but later rescinded it under pressure of local officials. In his press conference, he chastised those who didn't order a local evacuation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.