Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: Halloween Hurricane

AC is now underwater. Its really bad here in ocean county. Alot worse than earlier in the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Well, I just flipped over and FOX was on Sandy coverage. So, if anyone was political here, I'm afraid it was you.
Correction - Apolitical.
Old 10-29-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Some quick updates I'm hearing from around the Bay.

There is severe damage to homes and marinas on Long Beach Island.

On parts of the island the dunes have been overtopped and the ocean has reportedly met the bay.

Hope anyone who decided to ride it out on the island makes it through the night OK.

The USGS weather station at Barnegat Light reported wind gusts in excess of 80 miles an hour.

The tidal surge up Cedar Creek is up to 7 feet acording to USGS Tide Station.

It should be about the same surge for those who've gone up Forked River.

Update on Shelter Harbor 10/31 3PM:
The news is getting better for Shelter Harbor. Boats in the 12th street lot are OK. Boats in the lot behind the condos took the hit. One boat that was earlier reported missing has been found. The boat on C dock that was reported sinking is OK now (no other details). There's damage to the floating docks but they didn't float over the pilings as originally reported.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-31-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Wind gust of 90 reported last night at Bay Bridge. Storm center (not an "eye" because it wasn't officially a hurricane when it came ashore and mixed with the cold front according to NWS) stalled over Baltimore area last night at midnight. Had we been aboard, we would have watched the low pressure peg the dial on our barometer (938 mb?) Water here at our marina is to the stringers; or about 2-3 ft above normal. No major casualties; a couple of shredded biminis. We and our boat are chilly but ok. Conserving power.
jrd22 and kb3pwc like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-30-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Wind gust of 90 reported last night at Bay Bridge... No major casualties; a couple of shredded biminis. We and our boat are chilly but ok. Conserving power.
Good to hear! Hope that life returns to normal soon for all the SN folks that were in Sandy's path. Sailors are a resilient bunch.
wingNwing and JulieMor like this.
Old 10-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Thx JimJazz & JulieMor! We're taking the day off to rest, recover, put the boat back together and generally process the storm. And to raise a glass to all who were on duty yesterday: Navy, Coast Guard, LEOs ... and our excellent marina staff.
chef2sail, kb3pwc and JulieMor like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-30-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

We got lucky in the Philadelphia region, the center passed to the south near Wilmington DE, producing 55mph winds and a surge of 3 to 4 ft.
Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Philadelphia/Mount Holly
Water levels are predicted to return to the normal range for the rest of the week.

Coastal NJ and NY City appear to have got the worst of this one.

Rick at TakeFive checked on my boat this morning and it was still on the stands, thanks Rick.

The section of the marina where the boat is located is under a few inches of water at normal high high tide.
Old 10-30-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Yes, I did a brief tour of all the Essington boatyards and no boats tipped over. I saw a couple boats with shredded biminis because the owners left them up. After Irene I had seen bent and twisted metal, but this time just shredded cloth. Several powerboats had canvas enclosing their cockpits and left it up, and from a distance they appeared to fare just fine. As long as all edges of the canvas were secure (and stayed that way), it appears that things did not get shredded.

Flood level did hit a record in Philadelphia, reaching 10.62'. Previous record was 10.5'. Irene hit 10.0', which was equal to what it hit during a Noreaster in April 2011. So the Delaware River flood in Philly was the highest ever, but not by much, and comparable to peak floods we see every few years. So all the docks that I saw did not float off their pilings. [EDIT: I should add that the next flood at ~2pm could go back to the same level.]

My own boat fared better than I expected. We had absolutely no topside leaks - nothing in the battery compartment, nothing in the bilge, nothing under the v-berth hatch. It was a different story for Irene, where despite taping a bunch of seams, I got enough water to kick the bilge pump on. It looks like the speaker I sealed up a month ago completely eliminated the prior leak problem.

I'm hoping that all of you have similarly good news.
jrd22 and Familycruisers like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2012

Yofy is on a distinguished road

Our thoughts are with all of you riding out the hurricane. We hope that southbound sailors were able to find good shelter. It doesn't sound like much fun from over here.

Manny and Robyn
wingNwing and weathertrack like this.

Old 10-30-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Forked River & LBI Updates

I just received an email from a friend who lives in Forked River, NJ. Evidently Silver Cloud Marina took a bit of a beating but most boats appear to have weathered the storm OK. Water got up into the parking lot at Tall Oaks but boats blocked up seem to be OK, so my boat should be OK. Fingers crossed.

Wilberts and the State Marina are still under water. Definitely a great job by Dave, Dennis and the crew pulling and prepping boats. These guys know what they're doing.

No word on marinas closer to the bay. Evidently Bay Ave is still flooded out. I'm going to try and get down later today to check on my boat if the roads are passable.

Water levels reported by the USGS tide station on Cedar Creek are at 7.25 feet above normal and not dropping. Probably a combination of rain water run off and water trapped in Barnegat Bay. I'd expect water levels on Forked River to be similar.

Long Beach Island didn't fair so well. What I've been hearing out of Shelter Harbor Marina in Beach Haven is pretty dire (see post #203). Evidently Morrisons took a pretty good hit as well. The picture below is a cell phone photo forwarded to me by a friend on the island. I don't have any more details on Morrison's but the photo speaks for itself.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White