Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Doing fine here. Worst appears to be over although system is parked north of Baltimore and needs to move on. High tide with south winds gavels us 3 ft above normal and washed over our piers and docks at 7 bit was manageable. Only one dock box broke cause the owner didn't put holes in the bottom. One more high tide to go and the water is emptying from this AM.

Still no power so running of the batteries. Black cat propane heater getting a workout as the temps are in the low 40s. Glad the wind finally died off. Probably sty tonight and back to work tomorrow.

Haleakula is one tuff gal.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Forked River & LBI Updates

Jim, that is one UGLY photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I just received an email from a friend who lives in Forked River, NJ. Evidently Silver Cloud Marina took a bit of a beating but most boats appear to have weathered the storm OK. Water got up into the parking lot at Tall Oaks but boats blocked up seem to be OK, so my boat should be OK. Fingers crossed.

Wilberts and the State Marina are still under water. Definitely a great job by Dave, Dennis and the crew pulling and prepping boats. These guys know what they're doing.

No word on marinas closer to the bay. Evidently Bay Ave is still flooded out. I'm going to try and get down later today to check on my boat if the roads are passable.

Water levels reported by the USGS tide station on Cedar Creek are at 7.25 feet above normal and not dropping. Probably a combination of rain water run off and water trapped in Barnegat Bay. I'd expect water levels on Forked River to be similar.

Long Beach Island didn't fair so well. What I've been hearing out of Shelter Harbor Marina in Beach Haven is pretty dire (see post #203). Evidently Morrisons took a pretty good hit as well. The picture below is a cell phone photo forwarded to me by a friend on the island. I don't have any more details on Morrison's but the photo speaks for itself.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-30-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

These photos were just posted by Southwinds marina.

Water looks to be about 2-2 1/2' in the parking lot. Docks under water. Most of the boats who decided to weather the storm there were tied in the lee of the condos. No photos from there so no telling how they made out.

Boats blocked behind the office. I'm wondering how high the water was during the surge. Notice the power boat on the right is shifted off at least one of its stands.

Looking out towards Forked River, the Beach Bar is on the left.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This storm that was supposed to drop 2-4" of rain and give us 55 mph winds has seemingly just...well.. disappeared. It was almost calm this morning. The skies in The Adirondacks are clearing at present, very little rain has fallen. There's a little wind but Sandy seems to have scooted right by us. Not complaining, mind you, but this was the weirdest darned storm. The idea that a hurricane, packing 90 mph winds could hit NYC, just 250 miles south and then veer off to completely miss us is astounding. We and the folks in Vermont are breathing a sigh of relief that we did not get the "500 year" floods that occurred with Irene last year.
Old 10-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

smurphny,

The worst is probably over, but I don't think you've seen the last of this yet.

Post-Tropical Cyclone SANDY

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I think it is just headed due north instead of hooking back east up into the St. Lawrence Valley. It has every appearance of clearing out right now. I can't detect wind direction here down in the valley but would bet it's turning west and clearing out. I fully expected to hear the wind howling and the creek roaring this morning and maybe a ride over to the boat to see if it was still on its stands but it was calm as could be...strange.
Old 10-30-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

This is the first aerial of Long Beach Island New Jersey.

I don't even have words for this.

Chopper View Of Devastation In Long Beach Island And Surrounding Area « CBS Philly

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Glad you pulled through it Jim. Will meet maybe next summer on our trip to Long Island and share some stories

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-31-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I'm delighted to see so many who posted still posting, thus they made it through the storm and have time enough and power to post. Thanks Chef for your updates as the storm came through.

I see a glaring absence of CalebD, who posted that he lived near the red area on the SLOSH map.

I hope his home is OK and that he is too busy and/or no power. Anyone have any contact/knowledge of Caleb?
Old 11-01-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
No Hurricane Warning for What Could Be the Most Expensive Storm in History

Saw this on Accuweather today, a video made before Sandy hit. Part of the article:

AccuWeather CEO Barry Myers urged the National Hurricane Center (NHC) to reverse its decision not to issue hurricane or tropical storm warnings for Sandy north of North Carolina.

"To indicate that there is a landfalling hurricane and to issue warnings about it is the most effective thing that can be done to warn the public," Myers said.....

.....Not issuing such warnings has already led to mixed signals for both public safety officials and the public.

"Mayor Bloomberg was confused at one point over the weekend whether Sandy was a hurricane. If the mayor of the biggest city in the United States was confused, emergency management and others certainly can be confused," Myers added.

Scroll down past the article to see the video.

No Hurricane Warning for What Could Be the Most Expensive Storm in History

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.