Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Aw come on, no one was confused about its strength. Guess he should have read your posts here on SailNet. Next timne forward them to him.

Sandy was covered and talked about from days away. I have access to the NY TV stations and they were talking about flooding and surge 5 days out. Bloomberg certainly could and I am sure did call experts from the NHC many times. Unless you lived under a rock you knew this was called a superstorm, perfect storm, Frankenstorm. Everyone knew that this was a merge storm.

Why would the NHC call it a hurrican once it lost what defines it as a hurricane. Early on the were talking about it beconing and extra-tropical storm and why.

Actually it worked out for those homeowners in MD who had things happen to their homes with regards to their insurance and NOT being classified as a hurricane. It is my understanding that when it is classified as a hurricane a special provision kicks in in my insurance which works in the benefit of the insurance company.

Sandy and hurricane deductibles in Maryland - Baltimore Sun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I agree that there was so much press about this storm, whatever it was called, that anyone who ignored warnings based on what it was called, had their head deeply buried in the sand. That said, it does seem like playing semantic games around what to call a storm is confusing and the NWS could have made it clearer to those who might be easily confused by the wording, that there was no change in the warnings about potential damage. In the future, NOAA probably ought to make sure that meteorological nuances don't even have the possibility of confusing the easily confused.
wingNwing and skygazer like this.
Old 11-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have put a question into my insurance carrier for future reference. My policy is clear. There must be a tropical storm warning, or above, in effect at the time I haul out for coverage to apply. Coverage is half the haul out charges.

In practice, what I've found, is the carriers have been willing to pay anyway, because they know it was in their best interest to encourage you to do so. It was either in Irene, or maybe Earl the year before, they sent me a letter asking me to acknowledge that they did not have to pay under the terms over coverage, but would anyway. I never got a clear answer as to why they needed this. In fact, there was a tropical storm warning in effect when I hauled, so I refused to sign it. They paid, but it certainly left me with the impression that they can and would deny coverage on technical grounds, if they felt it was in their best interest.

In RI, we most certainly did get tropical storm force winds, but I do not recall there being a warning. It was clear we would expect this level of wind and I pulled for the winter, regardless. I'm not making a claim, but wonder what they would do.

If the NHC isn't going to call something with 74 knot winds a hurricane in the future, this could be an issue. I will let you know what they say.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-01-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my cousin, phyllis schuyler beals, lost her boat--it vanished without a trace-- she was in a morgan area(????) marina, where she said was much much damage, and she is stilnot allowed into the area.
she sent me this message, after i discovered her boat was a walkabout---
Quote:
:
Hi Karen, wish I knew what happened, yes maybe she's landed atop a building somewhere. Some boats landed atop railroad bridges. I think I brought this on by renaming her. Original name was Heelin Laddie. 10 years no name. Last spring we painted Serenity Now astern (Seinfeld favorite of our family) & now she may lie at the bottom for all I know... My marina living pal (Ruben) continued to look for her. He will be doing diving salvage work also & says he will keep looking... I felt last night as if I didn't deserve to have a boat nor did I take my responsibilities seriously enough. Not much sleep. Ironically 5 vessels that rode out the storm on their moorings came through unscathed. Me I put her by marina up
A sheltered creek area & with the full moon tide, 12 foot storm surge & 70-100 mph gusts it added up to disaster. Feel for the folks without homes though. Maybe next year is a break year from owning a sailboat- regroup & kayak or sailing canoe! Love ya,
Schuyler
boat name: serenity now
please keep watch for her...

i dont know what marque boat she is..please help keep eyes open for my cousin!!??

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 11-03-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Happy to report that CalebD and his boat both survived the storm. He just got power back.
Old 11-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Approximately 2/3's of the moored boats in the Hudson off Nyack suffered mooring failures due to huge storm surge, wind and wave action. I had considered hauling our boat out but did not. Ironically, many of the boats that were hauled were toppled by the storm surge and winds. Amazingly, our boat survived on its mooring. I'm lucky to have only lost power for 5 days as many others are in much worse situations.

We are not used to being on the "wrong" side of a storm like this as they usually scoot well to our east. It has been a very difficult learning experience for the region.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Caleb....glad to hear you pulled through all right. Ive been waiting to hear from you. Sometime luck is really what determines thuings no matter how much we plan. I am glad the mooring worked out well for you.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-03-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Approximately 2/3's of the moored boats in the Hudson off Nyack suffered mooring failures due to huge storm surge, wind and wave action.
Are you referring to the mooring field in Upper Nyack as well?
Old 11-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
Are you referring to the mooring field in Upper Nyack as well?
I am referring to the mooring field in front of NBC and Hook Mtn. Boat Club.
I have not been up there yet so I can't comment on the mooring field in front of Petersen's Boat Yard, which is just to the north (Upper Nyack). I would assume a similar rate of survival there though since the two areas are barely 1/2 mile apart but they may have fared better as Petersen's services their own moorings (I believe).

Everybody has one:

Old 11-03-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you and boat made out OK. Must be a hell of a mess down there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.