Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
Photos before and after the Sandy disaster:

Hurricane Sandy: The Craziest Before and After Shots
Thanks for that link, since this is a boat forum I'll mention particularly that if you scroll 1/4 of the way down there is a before photo of hundreds of boats at finger docks. The after photo shows only about half a dozen boats at the docks and big piles of boats tossed all over the land. Boater's nightmare!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2012

I don't like seeing a repeated pattern setting up with storms hitting the same devastated area. First Sandy, then the nor'easter with wind and snow. Now the ECMWF is showing another seemingly tropical type storm hitting the same area around Nov. 19th. A long way off, hope it doesn't happen, but the potential is being seen by the European computer model. I wouldn't be concerned, but I would keep my eye on it. Forewarned is forearmed. And the European has been hitting them out of the park, predicting both Sandy and the nor'easter.

The look may be similar, but the pressure is much higher than Sandy, and the winds less. The darn tropical season should be over by now!

Hey storms, come on up here where we have wood heat, chainsaws, and generators. We are in much better shape than NYC and NJ, we had almost no damage.

Old 11-09-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean. We have had almost no significant weather here in the Adirondacks. These storms both bypassed us completely. People I know on LI STILL have no power and someone I know watched his house disappear as he swam away down on the Jersey shore. I won't fret though because we'll surely get our turn. Now I'm kinda glad I decided to stay put instead of sailing south this fall...maybe not.
Old 11-11-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Sandy didn't bless us all with her presence but the fact her winds churned up almost record setting waves in Lake Michigan tells me she certainly tired!
Old 11-13-2012

ECMWF still showing a miserable looking storm driving wind and wave into the same decimated mid Atlantic area around the 20th, if anything it shows it tightening up. Then it has it hook out around Cape Cod, driving water in toward Boston, then hook back in and make landfall right on southern Maine where I pulled my sailboat. I've never been a fan of nor'easter type storms, too mean and unpredictable.
Old 11-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

After living on a barrier island on the South Jersey coast for almost 20 years, the northeasters of fall winter and spring were always the worst storms. Hurricanes would either blow by or land but there was only one high tide. The northeasters which either moved slowly or parked for a few days and spun were the damage producers.. Four or Six high tides drives a lot of water into the back bays and eos a lot of beach erosion.

They are a fact of life for coastal MidAtalntic and Northeast residents not anything new

The Weather Channel has now decided to "hype" the hysrteria by naming these storms. IMHO I beleive in the long run this will be a diservice to people as it will desensitize them on named storms as well as northeasters

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Sandy was so devastating to the Jersey shore because it hit in exactly the wrong spot on a moon tide. Not that it was any different than other nor'easters, except for the fact that it did a lot of damage because of those factors. No one in living memory can remember such destruction on the barrier island around Seaside/Lavallette and up to the Mantoloking bridge. They are just starting to allow people back on the island, busing them in from Tom's River for a short time so they can assess the damage.
Old 11-13-2012

Chef, I agree with you about the media hype. They aren't really trying help, they just like hype and overtime $$. And repeating and repeating and repeating! I don't follow them.

Thanks smurphy, I forgot to mention the moon. For this storm it's a quarter moon. While full and new moons increase the tidal effect, quarter moons decrease the tidal effect, so at least that is good. I realize many are aware of this, but it's worth mentioning because it's true.
Old 12-05-2012

Breaking: NHC Modifies Hurricane Warning Definition in Wake of Sandy

Following the criticism of the National Hurricane Center's handling of Hurricane Sandy and the non-issuance of hurricane warnings north of North Carolina, it has been decided that the NHC will now have more flexibility in their policy regarding the issuance of advisories.

"The main issue is: we want people to get ready for hurricane conditions, and that's why we are changing the definition of hurricane warning to be a little more inclusive of other things than just a hurricane," Chris Landsea, Science and Operations Officer at the National Hurricane Center

"Sandy was not ideal, and the way we handled it was not right. But we're fixing it,"

"We realize this was not satisfactory and we want to make it better for next year."

Breaking: NHC Modifies Hurricane Warning Definition in Wake of Sandy
Old 12-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

So this thread is still chugging along.

In defense of NOAA they had every other warning on the books posted for here except a Hurricane warning. I don't understand why they couldn't have just added one more warning though.

To echo chef Dave's point about the multiple high tides I present a graphical representation of high/low tides at The Battery in NYC. I hate to think of what it might have been like if the storm were slower moving and we had one more high tide cycle to go through.
Attached Thumbnails
Halloween Hurricane-battery-tide-graph.jpg  

Everybody has one: