Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Halloween Hurricane

I still don't have a clear answer from my insurance company on this. They pay half the cost to haul, if there is a warning issued. I asked what coverage I have, if a warning is not issue (such as was the case on NJ!!).

They said they would make a "case by case" decision. That's nonsense. Now that it seems the NHC may swing the other way and issue more warnings, do you want to bet they are very quick to change the definition of their coverage?d I know. Bad attitude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Very interesting read. The National Weather Service (NWS) computers are only 10% as powerful as the European model computers, with a discussion of other problems within the NWS. One commenter agrees and says that the blog is being widely read and passed around in the NWS workforce.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Rebuilding the National Weather Service
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

From a blog response to the site posted by skygazer. It seemed no one is taking exception to it. Upsetting.

Quote:
80-85% of the NWS budget is taken up by manpower, which supports the antiquated structure. A heavily antagonistic union, probably one of the most aggressive ones in the Federal Government, has been permitted to fight any action designed to streamline the agency...and the professional graves of the last two directors are littered with union influence.

Also, Congress, in its infinite wisdom, has granted in past years (not the last two) pay raises...authorizing the raises but never appropriating the funds for those increases, challenging the agencies to take that out of hide. With an 85% manpower rate, that leaves 15% to eat those raises. Consequently, the needed technology refresh and sustainment funds are raided to pay the bills, and performance suffers.

Quite simply, NWS doesn't need 122 forecast offices. Performance could be improved, money could go back to research/technology refresh, with many less offices, but the union and the local Congressman, who is willing to fight for "his office" is the root cause. Pretty simple fix. Last two directors tried to take it on with the "Conops" discussion, but the union took them on and found sympathetic ears on the Hill, which killed the innovation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I've been down the Jersey Shore a couple of times since the storm, trying to salvage a friend's house. The devastation there is almost too much to convey in words. Municipalities have done a good job of coordinating the recovery but it's going to take a couple of years before it gets back to normal. The scale of the damage is going to cause a lot of reassessment of building codes and new bulkhead projects. The only silver lining is that, in this lousy economy, it's putting a lot of previously out of work construction crews back to work.

With the apparent increased frequency of large, destructive storms and the rise in sea levels from melting ice, sea level populations around the world are going to have to start planning to deal with these things.
Old 12-11-2012

Nothing new here with Sandy. All coastal towns ever hit by a huge hurricane, suffered huge damage. It's just somewhat new for NYC area and there was more population density.

Funny you mention ice melt. The arctic is just a huge ice cube and water expands when frozen. Why, when it melts, would the water level go up?

Nevertheless, I fully agree with updating building codes. Everyone in the country is paying the bills for people to live directly on the coast. Always have in modern America. If you want a house or building there, you should have to build it to be survivable. Understanding that it can never be perfect.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

I've been a skeptic all along on the global warming issue and don't trust the science but there does seem to be ice melt from glaciers which was not in the sea to begin with but seems to be dropping into the it. Not all the melting is from arctic regions where there is only water below the ice. I don't know the physics of the thing and really don't want to risk opening up the global warming debate yet again

Most of the houses along all our shores started out as little bungalows in a different day and age and have now transformed into high-end, luxury vacation homes for the wealthy. We certainly should not be subsidizing federal flood insurance for them but you know a lot of those homes are owned by the elite and their bought and paid for legislators. So what are the chances that average Americans will be relieved of the bill for their extravagance by rebuilding houses where they should never have been built in the first place? Quite a few of the houses on the Jersey shore were insured. A big bill is coming for repairs.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-11-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-11-2012

It isn't so much the wealthy that actually pay something for the insurance that I think kills us. It's all the infrastructure, roads, power, and commercial losses. Those get passed back to the rest of us in higher insurance premiums, taxes and and utility costs.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

The tax bills around NYC and NJ will most certainly go up. There's been talk about some sort of flood gates which seems feasible right at The Narrows although Staten Island would still be unprotected. It would probably be cheaper than other alternatives. There was a lot of damage all the way up to Haverstraw in this storm.
Old 12-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I've been down the Jersey Shore a couple of times since the storm, trying to salvage a friend's house. The devastation there is almost too much to convey in words. Municipalities have done a good job of coordinating the recovery but it's going to take a couple of years before it gets back to normal. The scale of the damage is going to cause a lot of reassessment of building codes and new bulkhead projects. The only silver lining is that, in this lousy economy, it's putting a lot of previously out of work construction crews back to work.

With the apparent increased frequency of large, destructive storms and the rise in sea levels from melting ice, sea level populations around the world are going to have to start planning to deal with these things.smurphy

I have also made a few trips to the NJ coast. We took some genrators down to some of my friends who are trying to clean up and live there full time. I used to have a house in Ocean Vity, NJ..the island town next going south from Atlantic City/ Absecon Island. My old house is no longer standing as the storm blew it up. The devastation is staggering. As far as building codes. I agree they will change, The only thing that saved most of the houses was that Ocean City and many communities south of there 25 years ago established a very strict dune buhilding program and stayed with it. These dunes surved as the sacrifical property in s a storm like this. and the waves broke further away from the shoreline because of it. However there was no fighting the surge itself.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-11-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

Building codes already have changed, just most of the houses pre-dated those codes.