Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
69 year's old woman sailed away for a solo circumnavigation

Third attempt. On the first one she catch so much bad weather that her Najad capsized. The boat was repaired but not well enough and she had to return. Now it is (I hope) her last try. I wish jeanne Socrates fair winds and no health problems.

I am sure that she will do it if there are no more problems.

This lady makes me fell youger

edit: if you want to see the movie just click on "2009..London report" below the movie

2009 London Tonight report on Jeanne Socrates from London Tonight on Vimeo.

Rekordversuch: Aller guten Dinge sind drei - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

Rekordversuch: Aller guten Dinge sind drei - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 69 year's old woman sailed away for a solo circumnavigation

60 is the new 45
SloopJonB and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-23-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i tell ye..lol....and sailing keeps ye young.
JulieMor likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
60 is the new 45
There's a lot of truth in that (presumably) tongue in cheek comment. I remember my parents generation were largely quite old by their mid-fifties, far older than most people are now at 65+.

Old is largely a state of mind.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-24-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

PCP- I think she lost her boat just 60nm from completing her solo non-stop circimnavigation on her first try. On her second attempt she suffered a knock down not to far from Cape Horn. Hopefully she makes it this time.
Old 10-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you've got to go, you've got to go. Best wishes on the passage. Awesome adventure and no reason one couldn't do so at 69, if in good health.

The last line in the broadcast link got my attention. "This time, she hopes to set a record" Geesh, is that what this is about? Again? If so, 69 sounds more like the new 12. Hope there is more (or less) to it. As I've said before, I'm waiting for the record setter that is the first to sail around the world without telling anyone.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

I don't know about that but regarding the ridiculous of all those type of records or making races in old boats that are no longer adapted to it the French have a delicious movie that is a supposed to be a promotion about :

"un tour du monde en solitaire au départ de Saint-Tropez, sans assistance et sans escale, réservé aux Muscadet. Autre originalité : la limite d'âge des skippers, fixée à 6 ans... Le prologue de cette "Solitaire de Saint-Tropez" a été remporté par Sarah, 4 ans. "

translating: a world solo non-stop circumnavigation without assistance for skippers with less than 6 years and raced on Muscadet. (Muscadet is a very old and popular small French boat). The prologue of that race was won by 4 years's old Sara.

Have a look at her performance:

La Solitaire de Saint-Tropez : la bande-annonce
Old 10-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm waiting for the record setter that is the first to sail around the world without telling anyone.
That's the dig: If they did... we wouldn't know.

Seriously, I bet there are some amazing sails, that are not widely known.
Old 10-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
That's the dig: If they did... we wouldn't know.
Looking forward to that. By the count of people that talk about it, I wonder if there is enough room on the ocean for the rest of us.

I like the story of Robert Manry, who crossed the Atlantic in a 13 ft boat that he essentially made. He didn't really care who knew, wasnt trying to set a record, had never sailed on the ocean before, nor did he expect his wife and the media to meet him in England.

Of course, he was probably nuts.
downeast450 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

lectronic latitude---re jeanne socrates:
Jeanne Socrates Does It Again

October 24, 2012 – Victoria, BC

Jeanne Socrates left Victoria, BC, Monday morning aboard Nereida bound for...Victoria, BC. © 2012 Jak Mang

You just can't keep Jeanne Socrates down. The irrepressible Brit left Victoria, B.C. Monday morning aboard her Najad 380 Nereida on her third attempt at a nonstop solo circumnavigation. If she succeeds in completing this one nonstop — she was forced to stop during her last two circumnavigations when her boat was damaged — she'll not only be the oldest woman, at 70, to have done so, she'll also be the only woman to have done so starting from North America.

Record-setting solo circumnavigator Tony Gooch was stationed at Ogden Point to note Socrates' official start time around 11:30 a.m.
© 2012 Jak Mang

Though record-keeping organizations no longer recognize age-based sailing records, they are very interested in geographical and gender-based records. That being the case, Canadian Tony Gooch, who set the record for the first North American (Victoria) singlehanded nonstop circumnavigation in '03, was on hand to seal her prop shaft and take her time for the World Sailing Speed Record Council. It's interesting to note that Socrates is not sponsored — other than a few equipment donations — and she's sailing to raise money for the Marie Curie Cancer Care, a nonprofit that supplies nurses to terminally ill patients.

As of this morning, Nereida was heading offshore before making her turn south.
© 2012 Exact Earth / Tracking Nereida

Socrates' journey should take about eight months — over half of it in the Southern Ocean! — and we'll be posting frequent updates from her here in 'Lectronic. You can also follow her at Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys.

Go get 'em, Jeanne!

- latitude / ladonna
St Anna and HDChopper like this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward