Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37

Coupla thoughts.

1-If it doesn't have the Islander logo on it, it really shouldn't be on the boat. (VBG)

2-Got an anchor locker? How big an anchor can you stuff in it? (Seriously.) And

3-If you can lift it, the anchor is too small. Get the biggest one you can grunt up.

Other than that, everything is a lunch hook. Everything works on some bottoms not others, everything is "enough" until the wind and waves get strong enough or the anchor doesn't hold in a particular bottom.

So I'm really serious when I suggest, the biggest and heaviest anchor you can work with, regardless of what type it is. Then if you want a lunch hook to keep on a bow roller, that's something else again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

HelloSailor,

So, I'm Really Serious.

I have found several (used) anchors for sale, and some of them are larger ones. Daily use, I can handle a 44/ 60 lb. anchor. I'd use the hvy. weight anchor (70/ 100 lb.) as my back up (storm) anchor. Reading here, important to buy Rocna or Manson or ???? anchor to hold the boat (for real). So, pay more for a good anchor that really holds.

I Need 37 ft. of 5/16 or 3/8 high grade chain and 3/4 in. nylon (11K rated), say 150 ft. with 38 ft. of chain attached. I will double this amount with a 2nd rig for HD storm anchor. I should be able to withstand a storm this way, need to play out 144 / 150 ft of rode to allow for sea surge, etc. .

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-26-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-26-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Highfly, the advantage of using one of the new generation anchors (Mantus, Rocna, Manson) is that you don't have to carry around a bunch of different anchors for different bottoms. Also, since they have much better holding power you don't need to exaggerate on the weight of the anchor. A 45lb anchor for your boat is plenty.
Old 10-26-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

Just to "weigh" in I agree with most the posts here. You should see a common theme, buy a third gen. I really like the Spade with it's weighted tip as well as the Rocna and Manson. Buying a good all around is for sure the way to go. Don't skimp on that little thing keeping you off the shore!
As a note, you will find many CQRs for sale (or in the dumpster), avoid at all cost. They are the (by far) worst (yet popular) anchor ever produced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

Yes, I have just read about the Use's of the different anchors in the 2012 West Marine Catalog.

Now, I know (just pointed out above) that I do not need a heavy weight anchor. I need a anchor (best design) to dig in .. on any type of bottom and hold. I read about the Manson Supreme & Rocna Spade. I read that they hold on 4 different bottoms. I'm zeroing in on -- Rocna 20, 44 Lb. # 9261652 about $ 699.00 or the Manson Supreme, has about the same specs. . I found the attaching gear too - 9/16, 3 strand (250 ft.) anchor rope with 20 ft. of 5/16 HT G4 chain at
$ 150.00. I'm writing this stuff down because I want to get it right the 1st time (to be reviewed).

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-26-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 10-26-2012
Pirate Chief

Paddyd is on a distinguished road

I would choose the Rocna . for pricing call the guy in Texas look up botcwindsolar on the web and call him , very knowledge and good pricing
Old 10-26-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
As a note, you will find many CQRs for sale (or in the dumpster), avoid at all cost. They are the (by far) worst (yet popular) anchor ever produced
I like my CQR. it looks good with plants growing on it it the back yard; gives the garden a nautical feel, and is a good discussion piece.....

Old 10-26-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

On a more serious note, personally I (32', 14k lbs) like the 3-anchor approach - lunch hook, overnighter, storm anchor. I use the lunch hook most often: 8lb Danforth, 10'chain, 150' line. I then have a 22lb Bruce - good for where I am (mud) - 20' 5/16 chain, 150' 1/2" line. And then a 35lb Manson. I am saving up for the chain/rode, but it will be 30+' 3/8 chain, 200' 5/8 line.....
Old 10-26-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

80 feet of rode is only sufficient in a storm condition if you are in 1 inch of water with no freeboard.
10:1, including freeboard is the minimum I would use for a storm (and figure tide and surge predictions as well).

You and your cerebral friend got lucky you only lost an anchor.

Your Islander has lots of reserve buoyancy in the bow, and ground tackle is your primary insurance (the actual insurance is the last resort). 45 pounds of primary good anchor - and 100 feet of chain with 100 feet of rode would be my suggestion.

If you don't have a windlass you can carry a secondary (the danforth you have) with minimal chain and 100 feet of rope as a lunch hook from when you are lazy, or no wind is expected. That's also a good stern anchor to drop when needed.
Old 10-26-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Highfly, have a look at the Mantus as well. There is a promotional price for Sailnetters here at the Sailnet store. It has been getting great reviews.