SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Training and Developing Crew

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  L124C 
#1 ·
Help. For several years I have looked for a compatible soul to take on as crew and finally found such a person. Unfortunately my crew is a total novice when it comes to sailing. While I'm not a teacher nor experienced trainer, I advised my crew that the first step in learning to sail was to learn the vocabulary as it makes giving and receiving directions much easier and less confusing. We've now been sailing about a dozen times and while the interpersonal communication is very easy, there remains many problems caused by a lack of sailing vocabulary. As an example, on our last sail I asked him to "release the mainsheet" and he gave me that deer in the headlights look. Since we were in close quarters, I just returned to the cockpit and did myself, which I hated to do.
How do you "professional" teachers and trainers handle this problem. I remember that the initial part of my sail training was in the class room and homework assignments that focused on terminology and understanding the simple dynamics of how a sail boat works. How can I accomplish the same thing but not insult my new crew with homework assignments?

#2 ·
Is your "compatible soul" motivated to learn? If so, then the issue is how to communicate your knowlege to that person.

Some people are text learners. (Books)
Some people are visual learners. (Watching)
Some people are tactile learners. (Doing)

I have taught for the US Navy, and for my civilian job, but I'm not a certified, professionally trained instructure. I have taken on total newb racing crew and trained them up. My advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it. :rolleyes:

I've never assigned homework, but I communicated with my crew constantly through email, posing questions and seeing who could come up with the answer first. They liked that.

I drew sketches in Powerpoint or MS Paint.
I've demonstrated things on the boat for their learning experience, and then have them repeat what I've done.

I try to find "commonality" to help their memory. For instance, most sail control lines are called "sheets". Main sheet, jib sheet, spin sheet, etc.

Color-code the sheets so that you can direct them by color until they remember which sheet is which.

If I think of more, I'll put it up.

#3 ·
You can give them a book. To keep it easy just say "hey I found this book I liked check it out". Do you always use the same wording, is it let out the main or do you use let out the main sheet? You can also label the boat. Most important do they want to learn to sail or go for a boat ride?

#8 ·
You can give them a book. To keep it easy just say "hey I found this book I liked check it out". Do you always use the same wording, is it let out the main or do you use let out the main sheet? You can also label the boat. Most important do they want to learn to sail or go for a boat ride?
Oh, excellent point ctl411. Consistency is KEY. Always use the same word for everything, until they are up to speed. They'll never learn if you're always changing terminalogy.

Keep things simple.

#6 · (Edited)
I call students "mainsheetgirl"/ guy, (or jibsheet guy, or during a tack, oldjibsheet/newjibsheetguy, etc. So they hear it a lot, and i don't have to remember names immediately ;-)

I don't think teaching sailing vocab is insulting, we all have to learn the jargon in any new endeavor.

It helps if you tell them why things are called what they are and what they mean (or admit you have no idea why but just do it, please). Also tell them they'll sound tragically salty in the bar as they recount how they "flew the kite" (but *not* how they "blew the guy").

We all learn through repetition. In a pinch, go generic--"the line that lets the boom out, yeah THAT one"... Then return to proper jargon when things are calmer.

PS: fortunately the boats I teach on have assymmetrical spinnakers, so I don't have to say "Guy guy" ;-)

#15 ·
We all learn through repetition. In a pinch, go generic--"the line that lets the boom out, yeah THAT one"... Then return to proper jargon when things are calmer.
I like this approach. It gets the point across, yet also teaches the proper terminology. It may also help as previously mentioned to label more items, and to purchase the Sailing for Dummies book, since it is an easy read and a non-threatening approach to learning.

#9 ·
While I'm not a teacher nor experienced trainer, I advised my crew that the first step in learning to sail was to learn the vocabulary as it makes giving and receiving directions much easier and less confusing.
I don't really see the point in trying to force someone go learn all the vocab right up front. I've only been sailing for a couple of years and still don't know many of the correct terms, yet still manage to get the boat where I want to go. (I do know what the mainsheet is). Almost everyone I've sailed with to date has zero experience as well. When I want them to do something I just point at it and say "pull in that rope", "let out that line", ect... Terminology is irrelevant as long as they are doing the write action, as time goes on they will learn what your talking about. While they are performing the action you could then inform them what the name of the line is and next time they might have less of a dumb look on their face.

Another suggestion is get them to take a sailing course. They will learn a lot faster that way then being trained by you, for the simple reason that it removes the emotional asspect from the equation. Plus if they mess up something its not on your boat.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

#11 ·
I don't really see the point in trying to force someone go learn all the vocab right up front. I've only been sailing for a couple of years and still don't know many of the correct terms, yet still manage to get the boat where I want to go. (I do know what the mainsheet is). Almost everyone I've sailed with to date has zero experience as well. When I want them to do something I just point at it and say "pull in that rope", "let out that line", ect... Terminology is irrelevant as long as they are doing the write action, as time goes on they will learn what your talking about. While they are performing the action you could then inform them what the name of the line is and next time they might have less of a dumb look on their face.

Another suggestion is get them to take a sailing course. They will learn a lot faster that way then being trained by you, for the simple reason that it removes the emotional asspect from the equation. Plus if they mess up something its not on your boat.

Depends on if you are counting on them as crew. Someone can get hurt if they don't understand. On my boat I tell people you can do as much as you want or nothing but I need to no this ahead of time not when I need something done. I solo my boat all the time so I don't need help but if I think I have it and don't that could lead to problems.

#10 ·
It is important to get the basic terminology down.
If you have a copy of Chapman's Piloting you could lend it to your respective crew. The first chapter or two deals mostly with what everything on a modern sailboat is called. If you have a copy of the text from a 101 sailing course it should also have a chapter on basic terminology.
The list of nautical terms used throughout history is just too vast to start a newbie on:
Who needs to know what a Baggywrinkle is?

#16 ·
There are only three sheets on a sloop rigged sailboat: The main sheet, and two jib sheets.

If you want them to learn, and more importantly if they want to learn, simply go out sailing for a day and lay in about 20 or 30 tacks...upwind, and then do a bunch of gybes...
Let your crew person do all the line work..while you just call the manuevers.
Leave the traveler centered...and add that to the next trip out.

I wouldn't go into anything else...topping lifts, outhauls, downhauls or cunninghams or anything else....until they know how to tack and gybe.

It might help if you explain the points of sail...and what you're doing beforehand...but..if they are interested they should be reading.

#17 ·
I have taken many out and try to give them some hands on learning rather than just a passive boat ride.
Some have been very bright and keen to learn and take up sailing. Some enthusiastic but not the other things. Some it is just an interesting day out.
There actually is quite a bit to learn, using a tiller automatically ie reliably seems to take quite a while, let alone sail trim and watching other traffic and planning ahead.
Freezing and the brain going non operative when asked to do something is very common. Consequently I have found that one always needs to be watchful, and while explaining what needs to be done and checking out that it is understood helps at times as does practice there are times eg docking etc where it is best to do it oneself.
With a regular crew I suspect it is helpful to master one task at a time - there is a saying that it takes doing it about 30 times. So repetition of a limited range of ideas is helpful
Some are keen to learn and will do some reading etc, but I suspect many are not. But it sure makes life easier to have someone reliable competent and agile.
On the plus side I have nearly always enjoyed the pleasure most gain, but am not so sure the constant vigilance is relaxing.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. My crew is very intelligent and really wants to learn to sail. I think there has been too much reading in the past and am not sure that I can recommend that course.
I don't use a dataphone so I don't know, but is there an app for basic sail instruction?
I found an online program which I will recommend once I have time to check it out; part of the USASailing site.
Well, I guess if want to develop this crew I will need to be patient, repetitive, simplistic, progressive, cautious and flexible.
Thnaks to all.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your comments. My crew is very intelligent and really wants to learn to sail. I think there has been too much reading in the past and am not sure that I can recommend that course.
One more thing.... Regardless of how "intelligent" your crew is, don't take anything for granted, until they are truly seasoned sailors. I have seen very intelligent people (with sailing "certifications") do things on the water that defied common sense (one time, almost costing me my boat!). Apparently, because they were simply out of their element.

#19 · (Edited)
I designate a outing as a training sail. There is a channel in the middle of the bay with markers about an eighth mile apart. We go out to the markers and start circling the markers changing directions occasionally, while they trim the sails. The first time, I work pit, to demonstrate. When they are comfortable and consistent doing doing circles, we start doing figure eights. Even with moderate wind, the figure eight keeps them on their toes and most learn quickly. Believe me, after hour of this, they will know what the Main sheet, Jib sheets and Vang are, where they live and how to use them! If I am training more than one crew, I'll have one at the Helm (closely supervised of course), and one working Pit, as I want everyone to be able to do everything. I also believe that you will perform better at a given position (I.E., Pit) if you have experienced the other positions on the boat (I.E., Helm).
I personally learn through mussel memory which requires repetition. Once I get it, I've got it. On a day sail when you make a Tack or Jibe every half hour (for example), and stay trimmed on the same course in between, the repetition simply isn't there.
This method has worked well for me, though....I've had a few "crew" that were apparently intimidated by the fairly intense session and didn't return. However, if they can't do figure eights under your supervision for an hour, how interested in sailing are they, and do you want them in charge of your boat (and you!) if you happened to go overboard or were disabled?

#20 ·
I would suggest a small handbook called "Royces Sailing Illustrated". It is a fun and informative book which I have used for over 50 years teaching many people to sail, including my present girlfriend, whose first sailing experience was Newport, RI to the Caribbean, via Bermuda.
The easiest way learn the feel of sailing is in a very small, self bailing boat like a sunfish. The "student" must sail something that responds quickly to each slight change in wind angle, sheet adjustment, etc. Even tipping over numerous times is of great value, and cooling, on a hot summer's day.
No matter how much sailing one does on a larger boat, it's very hard to learn more than an understanding the mechanics, as the response to each action is generally not direct enough to be felt, as it is on a small boat.
On your boat, always discuss what you are planning to do in advance, like leaving the slip, putting up the main/jib, etc. Make sure your crew (friend?) knows exactly what you expect from them for each maneuver. It's not half as bad having to make a second (or third) pass at a dock as it would be going back to sailing alone.
Patience is of absolute importance, especially with someone you are emotionally involved with. Be nice, and supportive. Anything that goes wrong is of course YOUR fault, after all, you ARE the captain, right? And don't yell, ever.
Wives are easily replaced, but a good crew is certainly not!

#23 · (Edited)
I find this thread quite fascinating. I talk about this all the time with different things.

There is a time with anything new, where a person has a thought response to any order or situation. When new, the thought process can be slow, for the person is connecting the dots. You ever watched a 15 yr. old drive a car (in the US of course)?

There is some point, that same person starts having learned responses to the same orders or situations. They do not "think" about what they need to do, they already know.

All complicated training has these two facets. Driving a car, flying a plane, sailing a boat, all fall within this realm. Repetition, and calm thinking are the only way to learn these motions/actions.

Please, if you are training someone, remember they may take some time to process the request you put forth. Sometimes they will have brain lock. So don't gybe ho without a lot of future warning, and possibly fiscally moving the individual to keep them safe.

The more information you can pass to the trainee minutes(not seconds) before the needed action the better.

There is much to learn about sailing (boating in general), so it does take time. Don't think someone is not trying because it is taking longer than, you believe, needed. Everyone learns at a different pace, and may take a different approach to be taught.

James L

#25 ·
I used to teach a motorcycle road racing class always amazed at the various ability to learn. We would cover the gauges to get them to feel the bike slip without the distraction. Same with boats better to watch the sails and feel the boats speed then look to gauges. It's also easier to teach good habits if they are new hard to unteach bad habits.

#26 ·
When I get new crew aboard for the first time I try to figure out what they are wanting, a boat ride, to help out a bit, or to learn how to handle the boat. ( A sailing club I belong to has a fair supply of potential crew, then there are the sailing meetup lists) They are asked to take the wheel, and given instruction for the task at hand. Most are happy to try tacking the jib, but I don't jibe w/o experienced crew. Before we leave the dock for the first time I tell them they are welcome to learn about anything aboard, what ever they'd like to do.

When I find one who is serious about learning, I have a dockside sailing day, 101. We start on a relatively wind free day and raise and lower each sail, change jibs while one is up, tie in the reef on both main and mizzen. If, after a sail or two, they want to go on to 102 we learn to get the boat in and out of the slip and how to turn it 180° mostly in place. 103 has had only one person to get that far, what we did was to figure out how to fly spinnaker and the mizzen staysail, we've yet to fly the mizzen spinnaker away from dock, though the other two sails have been used while out.

But mine is a 37' boat, and trying to teach anything beyond simple steering and tacking while in motion hasn't worked out very well, but after the two to three hour 101 course, I have someone I can work with out there.

I have had two guests with 'keel boat certification' come aboard. One apparently didn't care for my tub of a boat, the other thinks it is grand. But both were able to be very helpful while underway, knowing the terminology, and maybe every bit as important, the risks. One was also very aware of how little knowledge that certificate actually gave him, I encouraged more courses through Power Squadron or USCG Aux.

As a side note, I have one friend for many years who loves being on the boat and really wants to work the sails, but because of his age, being out of shape and general klutzyness that often results in damage to himself or surroundings, he is forbidden from leaving the cockpit. After much pleading I gave in and went though the 101 run down. Before we even completed the reef tying he resigned the class saying it was too hard for him and thanked me for my good judgement, looking out for his best interest. He is becoming a good helmsman, freeing me to handle the sails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.