Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004

rosaire&deb is on a distinguished road
info

Hello every one hope all is well. We are new at this and would like some information. We are both planing on going cruising in a few years and are going to rent my house out and move on to our boat but.So was wounding if we would need a passport?. We will only be sailing in US waters but might have to stop off at foreign ports to refule & replenish our water and food. I know your thinking that if we are only sailing around US waters why the question. We want to go fron the east coast to the the west coast and do not want to go by way of the cannal. we are thinking drakes passage or around the top of cannada.Any advice would be nice. fair winds and cool nights to all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road
info

The Drakeís Passage, infamous for its shipwrecks, huge quadrangular waves, unpredictable storms, icebergs and freezing temperatures, presentes a formidable challenge to sailors. Stretching from Cape Horn to the Antarctic Peninsula, it represents 500 miles of the most respected and feared waters in the world.
Over the Top of Canada represents an Ice-Bound trip of over 3,000 miles!

Why don''t you truck the boat accross?

Regards & Good Luck,
Gord
Old 03-17-2004

rosaire&deb is on a distinguished road
info

Then what would be the reason for sailing if we just truck our boat everywhere. I think then they would call it RV. We wher thinking that drake passage would be ok during some months as well as going around the top of cannada.
Old 03-17-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
info

R&D, you might want to fetch a reprint of a recent (2004) Practical Boat Owner (UK mag)that reported on a family that did the Northwest Passage route. They were reportedly the only boat to get through that season despite a number trying. It wasn''t so much about tough water and big storms but rather dealing with the vagaries of the ice pack and resulting uncertain navigation. You can start the search at http://www.ybw.com/ybw/home.htm

I mean no offense but I think you are grossly underestimating the challenge, even if you''re gung-ho to attempt it.

Jack
Old 03-19-2004

admiral is on a distinguished road
info

I won''t comment on the advisability of your plan, as we are certainly more timid/less ambitious cruisers. But the original question was the need for a passport. I can''t think of a good reason NOT to have a passport, regardless if you will need it for this particular trip. You have plenty of time to file for one, and they are good for about 10 years, I think. So what''s the downside?