Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: i need help bad

I disagree that you would be better off in a slip. Personally, I wish that I were on a mooring - that I trust.

In a slip you will have to worry about fenders popping out, lines chafing through, and other boats breaking loose. On a mooring, as long as the tackle is sound, and you double or triple your pennant, you should be OK.

Remove your anchor (as others have already pointed out), double up the pennant, and you'll be fine.
Familycruisers likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

You are better off on the mooring than in a slip.
Old 10-26-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

ok so mooring it is. and why are you all saying remove the anchor? it's not on a bow roller its mounted on deck? whats the purpose of removing the anchor?
Old 10-26-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
ok so mooring it is. and why are you all saying remove the anchor? it's not on a bow roller its mounted on deck? whats the purpose of removing the anchor?
Because when your boat starts jumping up & down like a bronco, the anchor will cut thru the mooring pennants.

Strip all your canvas/sails & put them below with your anchor.
Old 10-26-2012

acarter92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It might be o.k., but for the two minutes it takes to move it below it's probably worth it...

Austin
HDChopper and Jgbrown like this.

Mike Carter

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
Old 10-26-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Read why here: Storm Prep or NOT ??? (Photo Based Post)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-26-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

ok sorry i was just wondering why i would remove it now i know i like to know why im doing something. and yes im stripping the boat of every thing tomorrow every thing on deck is being taken off
Old 10-26-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Small,

I'm in New Orleans, and we are forced to ride these out pretty regularly. Given the option, I would always choose a good mooring over a dock. Almost all hull damage I have seen comes from boats either winding up resting on docks, or banging into them.

You are already moving everything off the boat you can, and that is good advice. The next most damage is to biminies, roller furled sales, ect that people leave out.

I might also drop your anchor. With the anchor run towards the direction the storm winds will be coming from. Just in case you have a problem with your mooring, you have a backup already down. In this case, maximum scope, and don't have it tight at all, just resting on the bottom is fine. If the boat starts to move, then the anchor takes over. But it is better for the mooring to carry the load if possible.

As advised, add a few more painters to the mooring, with each one being progressively longer.

I appreciate its nerve wracking, but it really won't be that bad. You are looking at a Cat 1 right now, which normally means our entire harbor may have one or two boats with minor damage.
Old 10-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

As previously stated, a mooring is about as good a place to be in a H'cane as it gets. Best place would be a hurricane hole waaay up some creek, but even that idea can backfire on you. At a dock there are a lot more things that can go wrong that are out of your control.

You are going to need chafe protection for your mooring lines. This is essential!
This is what it looks like: TAYLOR MADE Dock Line Chafe Guards at West Marine
Buy some. Buy more then you think you need. It is cheaper than a haul out and well worth it.

All bets are off if there is a 20' storm surge - which is not likely in Narraganssett Bay, in my opinion IF the storm track towards NJ/Delaware as currently forecast.
If you had the boat hauled and there was only 12' of storm surge your boat might get knocked over in the boat yard by the rising water. Basically, you are safer on a mooring IF it has the scope to handle whatever storm surge you get.

Don't over think things. Sometimes ideas that sound good can have unintended consequences. Your best bet is to follow conventional wisdom at this point. This is no time to be trying untested ideas.
Deploying your anchor while secured at the mooring with a big blow coming is not a tried and true backup plan. Your anchor line may wrap around your mooring and cause it to fail or the anchor line may lead a runaway boat right into yours.
The given advice to remove your anchor from the bow is the best practice. Remove all sails and anything that adds windage (boom, sheets etc.) and depend on your mooring to keep your boat where you left it (hopefully).

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Check out this link
BoatUS – Hurricane Center – Preparation for Boaters

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White