Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: i need help bad

thanks every one for the advise ill make up some chafe guard today and take every thing down.
Old 10-27-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Make sure your insurance is paid up and will cover any damage your boat does if it breaks loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

Check with your insurance provider about hauling out. Due to the many recent storms, a lot of companies will now pay for a haulout if a huricane warning or even a watch is issued. Its much less expensive for them to do this than pay for all the damaged vessels.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
Old 10-27-2012

phil hardwick is on a distinguished road

A mooring is safer than a slip if you are sure of the integrity of the mooring hardware and if nothing drifts down on you including old docks ect. If you opt for a slip you are better off to use available pilings and not the cleats on the floats unless you are sure of them. Look under the dock and see how they are fastened. A ring of chain with cut pvc or conduit rollers connected by a shackle for your line tied with a bowline will negate any tidal surge and acts as a shock absorber. Dont stay on the boat, no one I know that rode out Hugo would do it again .good luck!
Old 10-27-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Joe God bless I will pray for you. I read someplace about a three anchor system and the few boats that did use this system were the only ones to survive. Maybe you and your other harbor mates can work together as it helps everyone not to have a boat get free. United we stand divided we fall. I will try to find it an post but out of the water is best a Remember to lose a boat is a shame to lose Joe would be worse! If the plan is not working do the safe thing. Regards,Lou
Pegu club likes this.
Old 10-27-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Azzarac has a plan I like. It seems the others who have boats of value in a club might want to help clear the harbor if they can. It will help them also. Hindsight is 20-20 Regards, Lou
Old 10-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Take a deep breath. If you prepare accordingly the odds are that you and your boat will be just fine. Also, the storm does not appear to be predicted to be as bad as you're worried about. Use the information from the national hurricane center to your advantage.

They have predicted areas of winds and storm surge, rainfall etc.
Link to National Hurricane Center: Hurricane SANDY

This is today's predicted 50Knot winds chart. 50knots is not to be sneezed at, but it's no hurricane Katrina either. Notice the chances of sustained winds at 50knots are below 50%.

There is an interactive map where you can zoom in on your location, then choose a storm surge height (say 3 or 6 feet) and it will give you predicted chances of that storm surge happening. It looks like the surge in your area is predicted to be a LOT LESS than 10ft.
Hurricane SANDY

And finally, a reading list. Here are some selected threads that I've chosen, in order of relevance to your situation. The cliff notes version of these threads is this: Use multiple, long pendants of different lengths. Lead them fair, use chafe guards and remove your anchor.

What else could I have done?

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...eparation.html

Mooring - attaching pendant

Help me decide - Mooring bitt or cleat?

Be well, and if you're staying aboard, we want pictures, and video (with audio)!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 10-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I might also drop your anchor. With the anchor run towards the direction the storm winds will be coming from. Just in case you have a problem with your mooring, you have a backup already down. In this case, maximum scope, and don't have it tight at all, just resting on the bottom is fine. If the boat starts to move, then the anchor takes over. But it is better for the mooring to carry the load if possible.
I think this is a bad idea. The winds may and usually do shift as the eye passes which can cause your anchor rode to foul the mooring line.

Old 10-27-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Med, the problem isn't the wind speed with this one. They're all saying this is a very large, wide, slow storm, meaning that the wind and rain may continue at storm force for over 48 hours in some places. Many storms would clear through in 6-10 hours, even 24. But the continual pounding and rocking add up, and that chafe starts to cut things free. And given that many hours, there's a couple of tide cycles to work things around up and down as well.

It has the potential to get ugly, but apparently there are enough unique qualities to this weather pattern that the forecasters really just don't know what is going to happen, so they are urging caution.

A good time to have someone actually dive on the mooring and inspect that as well, if it can be done before the storm.
Old 10-27-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

well im ready for the storm. every things off the deck. i have 3 lines on the mooring 2 that are about the same and 1 last resort line. they all have chafe gear on them. 2 of them have a hose covering them to prevent chafe.
JulieMor likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.