Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: i need help bad

o yea no insurance :/
Old 10-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

A couple of things: This storm is supposed to produce a large surge which will be the main problem. Any floating dock you go to may float away over the top of the pilings. Boats on moorings without enough scope (probably most of them) may break loose and hit you. The winds associated with the storm are Cat.1, not terribly strong, so a GOOD 300# mooring in mud would hold you as long as you know all the swivels and shackles are up to snuff. Being on a single mooring in a Cat2+ storm can be dangerous because the shear force from 100+ mph winds can capsize the boat as it swings around.

Unless you have 2 or 3 45-50# anchors and a really good place to throw the hook, that's probably not a great idea although getting away from other boats is always a good idea. Anchoring with 2 properly placed anchors stops the shearing almost 100% and greatly reduces the strain on everything. There are a lot of good spots to anchor up in Narragansett Bay, if that's where you are, but many of them may be overcome by a huge surge. If anchoring, stay where there is plenty of elevation of the land mass and not behind a sand bar that may become awash. Remember that the wind will reverse at some point in time. Hope that helps...and of course, do not stay on the boat.
Old 10-27-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
o yea no insurance :/
Then your concern is not your boat but the.boats that your boat may damage leaving you in a lot of.debit. Boats can be replaced, so be careful to not put yourself or your future in danger.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
o yea no insurance-smallboatlvr
That's incredible. No insurance and your what 16? So if someone gets hurt on your boat or because of your boat they will have to sue mommy and daddy. They could loose their house. If they don't have insurance. Your needed to have this boat against their wishes and were encourahed by some on here to do that dispite how they felt and your inability to have the money to pay for even the simplest of safety gear point to absolute immature decisions.

I have followed you exploits for a while. I have to call it as I see it sorry no matter how unpopular that makes what I say appear. From your first posts to yelling out a fisherman thinking you had the right away to this escapade. To this latest reckless situation where you are putting others in danger needlessly, again through immaturity and lack of finances show that you need to learn responsibility.

Those on here who have teen agers and have raised children would not like if your kids got on the Internet and were encouraged by others to go against your wishes as a parent.

Those who find this clever or romantic about someone folllowing their dream, why don't you moor beside this child and let his boat smack yours.

Dave
emoney and Brewgyver like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by Faster; 10-28-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-27-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Go easy Dave,

I don't disagree with you, he's in over his head. He has no resources, no finances, and no skill (yet).

However, he's just a kid who meant no ill and was doing the best with what he had. Trust me man, it's better to help him struggle here on Sailnet than have him on the streets stirring up trouble with gangs, drugs, or whatever else. Yelling at him isn't going to help now. Hopefully the advice we provide, will help him take the necessary steps to keep his boat from being a missile hazard in the mooring field, or sinking at the dock.

You're mostly right, but let's focus on being productive so that he has the chance to learn from his mistakes.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-27-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

chef, it's Rhode Island. (First hint, which isn't an island either.) Last time I knew, RI was perhaps the last state in the entire US that didn't require any liability insurance for AUTO DRIVERS either, so attitudes up there about many things may be a bit different from those in some MidAtlantic states.

And one can hope, his parents already are aware of liability issues. That's between them, not us. Unless you're moored up there. (G)
Old 10-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Maybe so, but I cannot help but think that he uses the advice he gets from here to go at his parents. The advice gives him false hopes when he is already over his head and anyone who has raised kids knows how hard it is to do that without others interfering or counteracting their wishes.

Doing drugs, stirring trouble is not the alternative I see. He should be pairing himself up with a mentor from Sailnet who takes him out on their boat and helps teach the kid a bout sailing . I am sure his parents would whole heatedly agree with that. Maybe one of you from his area could do that. If he lived in this area I would certainly do that with him if he would let me.

Right now I see him as reckless, disrespectfull of his parents, and like many his age doing what gives him immediate gratification rather than work for things which take time and commitment.

This trend and behavior will not end well if it continues as no "light" is suddenly going to dawn on him. Growing older does not ensure responsibility. Being taught and practicing it does. Kids who don't respect reasonable authority of their parents rarely all of a sudden start listening to their bosses when they get in the working world.

I won't go easy on him, sorry. He needs to hear the truth like some adults see it. If he wants to play with adult toys, endanger others, be treated like an adult, he needs to expect to be treated like an adult and listen to adult criticisms.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

To this latest reckless situation where you are putting others in danger needlessly, - chef2sail

Yeah, way too hard on the guy. He isn't building a meth lab in your neighborhood, he has a sailboat on a mooring and he is worried. Probably not a lot different from many other people there. I still see hulls of wrecked sailboats in the Hudson river left from Irene, most likely owned by insured adults. You can only make a claim if you ( or a friend) are there and see a boat hit yours.

From what I have read this guy is within the law. Maybe to to your liking, but even so, you are out of line. He is here looking for information on how to increase safety and you interrupt with THAT.
bljones, steel and bubbagulf like this.
Old 10-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

NH also has no auto insurance requirement. "Live Free Or Die." Some folks still have this silly idea of personal freedom and responsibility and can't seem to fall in line.
Old 10-28-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

my parent's both agree with the baot the day after i got it there happy i have it they love the boat. my dad was mad that i got the boat but i brought him out on it the after it was ready to sail and he loved it. i'm not immature i know what im doing i take advice from every one that gives it. and i know what im doing just yeserday i taught a 40 year old how to strip his boat he just bought the boat and din't know how to demast the little 15ft boat so i taught him every thing about it.
steel and juggleandhope like this.