Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012

acarter92 is on a distinguished road
Re: i need help bad

Huck,

Sounds like you've done everything you can at this point. Good luck and keep us posted....

Austin

Mike Carter

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
Kids half panicked about his boat (and others) and he gets " well ya shouldn't of bought it in the first place" and " you won't be taken seriously without proper grammar". Let's let the storm pass then talk to the kid about how he got his butt puckered and how to mediate that pucker in the future.

If his parents had really wanted, they could have grabbed him by the ear and marched to whomever he bought the thing and demanded the deal undone.

BTW Dave, stay safe buddy.
He is getting advice that will not only save his boat but also help him in the future.

Life will be better for him if he learns some simple lessons.
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Do you feel better now Med Sailor....got it off your chest did you.

Don't start with your pretend legalities quoting Maritime Law. You act like you are an expert with the last word. There are enough lawyers on this site, who would probably disagree with you. I work with and for 525 lawyers..thy re called the Congress of the United States and not only can they not agree on any laws interpretation, they are not held by most in the highest regard right now.

Get real man this is the Internet...don't get so serious and high and mighty...don't blow an Artery here. My opinion as I stated or did your anger prevent you reading that, is only my opinion. I have every right to it. I have the right to have a closed mind just as this young man does. Are you stepping up to mentor him or s this just a diatribe against me and my opinion. Step up to the plate with Huck, mentor him. I dare you, and would applaud you if you did. Stop pretending and writing about it just help him. Do it.....just do it.
Will you...of course not. More hot air.

See maybe I am tired of him whining and reaching out to others to solve his problems.

No way do i think i am always right or think i am the only voice or others agree with me. in fact i prefaced my post saying i doubted anyone would agree. If you don't like my posts...don't read them. Whether I have a closed mind or not, I have an opinion, which I have the right to have. Even if its nt a popular one, I still have it and am willing to say it. Your value judgement of it doesn't make it wrong if you disagree or verify it if you agree.

As far as mentoring is concerned you know nothing about me ....rather let me turn that around...we know nothing about you except you post on the Internet. For all we know your don't even have a sailboat. I do not assume that, but I have seen that happen before on here plenty of times. I am not afraid to mentor people or be mentored. This kid refuses to listen. Read his previous posts and history.

Again this is the Internet, try not to take things so seriously. It's really space......not reality or have you lost sight of that.

To some in here I have met them in person, and my reputation with them is important to me and has been developed by PERSONAL eye to eye interaction, it is not just an Internet thing.

I apologize if I rub you the wrong way and raise your anger and blood pressure. Feel free to not read what I write if it causes you such angst.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-28-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2012

MattSplatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
See maybe I am tired of him whining and reaching out to others to solve his problems.
I don't know any of you from Adam, but what seems to be going on here is this: Huck has a boat which he wants to ensure is safe through a storm. He admits what he doesn't know and comes on here asking for help. He gets some good advice and takes all the action in his power to prepare and protect his boat and others. He's done a lot more than a huge group of other unnamed boaters out there.

Errrm... what's the problem, exactly???

Huck doesn't seem to come here whining to have his problems solved. He frequently asks you guys for advice and listens to that advice. He trusts SN collectively because there is a vast wealth of experience here being freely shared.

What's the problem, exactly???
Old 10-28-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Do you feel better now Med Sailor....got it off your chest did you.

Get real man this is the Internet...don't get so serious and high and mighty...don't blow an Artery here. My opinion as I stated or did your anger prevent you reading that, is only my opinion. I have every right to it. I have the right to have a closed mind just as this young man does. Are you stepping up to mentor him or s this just a diatribe against me and my opinion. Step up to the plate with Huck, mentor him. I dare you, and would applaud you if you did. Stop pretending and writing about it just help him. Do it.....just do it.
Will you...of course not. More hot air.

I apologize if I rub you the wrong way and raise your anger and blood pressure. Feel free to not read what I write if it causes you such angst.

Dave
Calm down and don't take it so seriously you say. Wow, I only wish you could actually hear yourself as others do.....

Well that answers the question I had about why you like to post like this. It appears that you get off by raising other people's blood pressure. Obviously I took your bait and by your response you're loving it.

Good for you.

I am mentoring Huck by the way. I posted what I thought would be relevant and helpful on this thread. Mentoring doesn't have to be in person. Many relationships, especially to the younger generation are just as good on the internet as ones in person.

Thank you for your apology and your suggestion. You are now the first member of Sailnet, after four years, to make it on to my ignore list.

Respectfully,
MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 10-28-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

(takes a bow) for post #22.
chef2sail likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Various points........

I wish Huck the best and am glad he asked what he should do. He received good advice.

There have been many times that he refuses to accept input and argues with experience. He can get stubborn, like a 16 year old.

I'm not going to play maritime attorney, but I find it hard to believe that sinking an environmental hazard in a navigable waterway isn't going to bring the RI Department of Environmental Management down on you for more than $4k. I know of other locales, where you pay a per day fine until you pay to have a salvage team go get your vessel. Having liability insurance, or sufficient assets to cover your liabilities, should be a requirement, IMHO. Seems Huck has neither. That's irresponsible.

There are plenty of parents that are totally incapable of guiding or controlling their child. Some parents are making "lesser of two evil" choices for their kids. We can't know Huck's parents. We only see them through a 16 year old's eyes.

Huck seems to spend more time sailing and on blogs than studying at school. Grammar and spelling are important, at least at an elementary level. Huck goes far beyond the random typo or unedited post. The higher your education, the lower the unemployment rate.

There is no doubt there is more going on here than we know.

Winds in the Bay are already 30 knots and surge is 2ft. Best wishes to all, including Huck.
chef2sail, neverknow and Brewgyver like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-29-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Great post MedSailor. You are right on several counts, including this egregious trolling during this time of crisis which is the elephant in this room.

Huck is here in a sincere effort and others are here ... to troll and provoke.

Chef, you may think you can say anything on the internet as you have stated several times, but right now people are quite worried about a storm and its not a time to joke and its not an appropriate situation for your amusement.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Chef i have plenty of "mentors". every one i know helps me out on the water if i need more advice i can as several people in person for help. And i haven't come on sailnet whining im here asking for advice what i can do better to keep my boat and get it through the storm. And the plan is to get insurance next spring when i get a job and can pay for it. right now it's ok. i did every thing possible to be ready for the storm. right now im not even worried about the boat breaking loose cause im pretty sure i put enough ropes out and every thing should stay in place. im just a little worried about the other sailboat close by but it should be all set now. i saw yesterday that they were swinging together so it should be alright.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 10-29-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Stunning- while some ponder the decline of young people getting into sailing, the self-proclaimed serious sailors attack a kid who is actually doing it.

Proud of yourselves?