Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Paint my boom? Would Love to hear some Pros and Cons

This winter I plan on doing a few upgrades...paint the deck, new electronics, that kinda thing. One thing I see is the slightly crusty end of my boom. I was thinking to sand it down nice and smooth then paint it...I'm partial to the dark colors or even to match my topsides which are a medium blue. A buddy said don't do it as when it starts to chip or gets scratched it'll look worse. A lot if racing boats have black booms and I assume some are carbon. I also see a lot of white booms. My mast is aluminum...Pros and cons of doing this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Paint my boom? Would Love to hear some Pros and Cons

I well-prepped my booms and painted them with a zinc-chromate primer and topped them off with Interlux Topsides Bristol Beige. Sure, I've had occasion to touch them up over the ten years since I painted them, but I've been pleased. I have a friend that used a Sears product spray can oven enamel and his continues to look very good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Painted booms and spars look great when fresh, depending on the rigging setup they can get a bit beat up and start to look a bit ratty.

The existing boom was likely anodized originally, not sure about the rules for painting over that. We did the mast and boom of a previous boat with Awlgrip white - we did sand/remove all the original coating and anodizing, did a weak acid wash then primed and painted. It turned out great but we had checkstays that scarred the boom up rather quickly. Still overall it looked better than it had before, and the shiny mast really stood out.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-27-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Did ours with an interluxe product but canot remember the name after 6 years it is marked up in spots but looks 100% better than before. Try to get a dark primer then if the paint does chip a bit it will not be that noticable.
Cheers
Old 10-27-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I would recommend looking for a powder coater that can handle the job. I made my spinnaker pole from aluminum tubing. I sanded all the anodizing from the surface until it was down to the base aluminum. It took about an hour to hand sand the 10ft pole. Then I took it to a powder coater and he did his thing. Since then the pole has been banged around a good bit. Not a scratch or chip anywhere.
Old 10-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Paint it - if it gets chipped, paint it again. A boom the size of yours is easy to dismount & take home. It's also good to take the hardware off once in a while so it doesn't seize in place. Put it back on with Tef-Gel on the fasteners.

You don't need to worry about old anodizing - it's more like a stain (actually a dye) than a coating - it won't peel or anything like that.

Don't forget to spray it with zinc chromate immediately after prepping and a solvent wash.

Use one of the scrubbers shown in the attachment in a small angle grinder to clean up the spar. You can get them at tool shops that sell auto body tools - they are intended for stripping paint and work great - WAY better than sanding.

Scrub the spar with Scotchbrite afterwards and then a solvent wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint my boom? Would Love to hear some Pros and Cons-014-800x600-.jpg  

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-27-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Best paint for booms is probably RUSTOLEUM, in spray cans and needs no primer, just scuffing of the aluminum. Ya gotta love 'fish-oil' based paints for 'marine' service. If you know how to spray: thin tack coat, let dry, then 1 full wet coat, let set about an hour or so, then full wet coat again, let fully cure for about a month .... then scuff and overcoat with automotive 'clear coat'. Cheap, fast, simple.

If you're a 'fanatic' let the clear coat fully cure, then flat sand with 2000 grit, then power buff with 3M Finese-it followed by 3M Perfect-it. Will make a long lasting 'Concours' (d'Elegance) finish.

When it needs redoing .... after many years, simply sand or use a stripper and re-do.
Old 10-27-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

It killed me looking at that crusty paint job on the J24 and the two part paints are pretty TOUGH

On the other hand i will NOT refinish the Cal 29 mast due to the need to step it every season and the imposable task of NOT dinging it

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat