Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

Jeezus woman, you do love to worry.

I spent the day at my marina helping people strip their boats, and in turn, taking off my main sail (I have no other canvas).

I have:
30 gallons of water.
35 gallons of fuel.
Propane
Alcohol (for the marine stove)
2 cases of MRE's (food)
Beer
Rhum
Wine
Additional, extra-long dock lines to help deal with the surge, if there is any.

I've had about a dozen offers from friends to "abandon" my boat and stay at their homes. All I need is someone to snuggle with.

Zee, wanna come over? You can bring botkat.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I say this tounge in cheek,,

Won't affect us at all....we are outside of Annapolis/ Baltimore and the weather forecasters have been hyping this up to takes people's minds of the impending election or some similar conspiracy. Shame on me for following the us weather models. I should have listened to the snow plow man in western Maine who saw squirrels running for his boat and whose wife can shoot me dead with her expert rifle rating and know to follow the European model from now on. Funny...looks like the squirrels were wrong or were misread as the Chessapeake has the bulls eye.

We intend to go sailing and practicing rescue drills with RockDawg ( he loves weather like this when someone else's boat is at risk) during Mondays and Tuesdays peak winds. Don't worry everyone, we will reef early. Since the Morgan OI 33 can make over 9.5 knots in 22 knot winds, our little light C&C 35 should hit double hull speed at 16 or so. If we get in trouble...well we have a Mantus anchor now which holds everywhere. We will drop it and try and raise smallboatlvr for advice. Maybe after this i will post this on the hissailnet forums minniewaska and i should create as i am a male and am no longer welcome on the seperateists hersailnet forum.

I forgot to mention when we return from our invigorating sail and practicing heaving to and heavy weather manuevers and man overboard drills in 60 knot winds with 80 knott gusts...we will have electricity and hot showers too.as the boat will provide us...no one else in Maryland will have that for a week after Tuesday.

Off course Sandy will affect us. Most of us have spent the day preparing our boats instead of waxing on the internet and most of us are hoping the worst doesn't materialize and we loose our boats which we have worked on and love to the weather gods.

Dave
BayWindRider and misfits like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2012

loweschickie is on a distinguished road

We're on the Sassafras river and are not too worried about the boat. My husband took.the sails down and moved us back to the mooring ball. Our marina is in a nice little cove and should provide ample protection during the storm. The house on the otherhand is in central DE and depending on the track(right now north) we should just get a lot of rain and wind. We are ready to be snuggled in for the next few days

Erin wife to Bill, Captain S/V NeverLand

Leaving Oct 2013 to cruise the Keys with our daughters 2 and 6
Old 10-27-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Julie
Today I saw storm surges in the Chesapeake predicted to rise 1-2 feet to as much as 8 feet farther north. I know we have a lot of Chessies here.

What do the predictions look like for those possibly in the path? Will you all be okay? Fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

You have a link to the info on predicted surge on the northern Chesapeake?
Old 10-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
This is what Irene did. This is the club house.

EverythingCroton: THE CROTON YACHT CLUB, STORM SURGE PHOTO

The boats were all in the water tied to the floating docks. It looked like someone put floating docks in the middle of the river.
There is normally a parking lot around the Croton Yacht Club that is about 4 - 6' above high water. That picture on your link shows no parking lot, only river. I hope that CYC has flood insurance!!!

Our boat is in Nyack, about 5 miles down river and has been stripped of sails, extra pennants added to the moorings and countless other details in the vain hope that the surge from this one is not much worse than what Irene wrought.

This certainly is the harbinger of an early and long winter in the north east unlike last winter when we had almost no snow cover all winter long. The squirrels down here are fattening up but have not commandeered a sailboat to use for a winter den, as far as I know.

This storm is huge. It now stretches from the north east to the middle of Florida. I just hope that all the stretching brings down the maximum gusts to manageable levels.

Chicago will get its turn sometime over the winter. I assure you Julie Moor.

;-)

Everybody has one:

Old 10-28-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Meh, I ain't skeered,
Sitting in Chesapeake City,MD. (been telling people I'm in DE till I figured out I'm in MD,oops).
There are 1/2 dozen other blow boats here and they all keep pulling up anchor and resetting and changing position like nervous puppies at the vet's office.
I got here a day or two ago up from Cape may. Set the 45# claw on 5/16" bbb then last night dinghy-ed out a danforth on chain an rode to the north . I'm up-wind of everybody else. Maybe that's why their nervous !
I just don't see it gettin' too crazy here. Some wind,some surge, sure can't get any waves ,no fetch. Only thing that raises an eyebrow is the other nervous nellies milling about.
Set that hook for god's sake ,let out some chain and scope and let it settle and -
CALM DOWN.
misfits and Familycruisers like this.
Old 10-28-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
You have a link to the info on predicted surge on the northern Chesapeake?

Quote:
For Chesapeake Bay, while there could be 1 to 2 feet of water rise in the upper Chesapeake, the most vulnerable area is farther south. The Hampton Roads area around Norfolk will see up to 4 feet of storm surge because of a northeasterly component to the wind, pushing water toward shore there.

Finally, for eastern North Carolina, the situation is complex.

"I've done site surveys and built surge models for this area," Lowry noted, saying the interaction of Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds and the barrier islands of the Outer Banks creates that complexity.

North of Hatteras, he said, dune erosion and possible overwash of Highway 12 will be a concern.

Then, as the storm moves by, northwest wind flow will push water from the sounds toward the ocean, creating problems for Cedar Island and parts of Carteret County.
From the Weather Channel
Old 10-28-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

The boat parking area at Senasqua Landing is already flooded at high tide. The School boats look as if an additional 4 feet of water will float them all off their stands. This did not happen with Irene.

When I was down there this morning I saw a friend about to row out to his boat which is the only boat left on a mooring. He was having trouble starting his Atomic 4. He was planing on hauling yesterday. He said he'd call Boatsusa for a tow if no luck starting.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 10-28-2012
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road

Took the head sail off yesterday and tied down the main sail. Today, placed an extra spring line just in case and took everything expensive off the boat... Ready, I guess... However, why does it feel like the boat will soon find a nice home under a bridge.

BubbleHeadMD - Good luck to you!
Old 10-28-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Rain started about 6:30pm at Yorktown. Heavy rain started at 7:30pm. 30kt winds with gusts a lot higher. High tide came in about 3 or 4 ft higher than usual. Power went out at 9ish am. Low tide dropped the water level enough to find the rigid dock and a way out to my car. Arrived home a few minutes ago.

Getting ready to start driving American Red Cross emergency vehicles in the DC region in about an hour; probably all night and maybe through Tuesday night.

Brought roughies and boots from the boat, I learned my lesson last year in Hurricane Irene. I hate being soaking wet for hours at a time.