Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road
Re: Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

Be safe out there Boo!! Thanks for your service.
Old 10-28-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Everyone was hauling or double tying their boats. I stripped my sails, took her out, set 2 hooks, a rocna and a danforth with copious chain and crossed my fingers. I wish I had grabbed my foulies for when I go out and get her in case it is still raining. With the full moon and the predicted surge it seemed like the best idea. Now I am shore bound and bored, this thing needs to quit stalling, figure out where she is going and get there... Typical woman never ready on time!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2012
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road

I'm at White Rocks in Pasadena, MD. Winds are supposed to be out of the NE-NW for us with a 1-2 ft. surge in the Middle and Upper Chesapeake, as the NWS says. I moved my boat five years ago from the "front" of the marina (the creek opening faces the north, so wind from there has quite a bit of fetch across the river and into us) to the back, so I have five rows of other boats for protection.

I've doubled my lines, and might swing by tomorrow and put on some more. I also have insurance and she's only valued at $6500, so I'll do what I can and then stop worrying about it. I have my house and family to consider, my boat is just a piece of equipment.

Good luck to everybody.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

White Rocks across from us normaly takes quite a beating as it faces the funnel of winds from the NE-N down Rock Creek. We watched the spray off the docks last year there from our vantage point around the corner so to speak.

Latest compiled local forcasts call for:

Lowest recorded pressure ever in Baltimore of 947 mb
54 hours plus of winds exceeding 30 steady
36 hours of winds exceeding 45 steady
24 hours of winds exceeding 50 steady
Rain to exceed 12 inches therefore major flooding
Susquenehanna River to exceed banks and opening the Conawingo Dam, which last year left this area littered with wood, trees toliets in the Bay for weeks and making it impassible.
BGE expects electricity off for at least 6 days as bucket trucks dont operate in excess of 25 knotss

Storm surge minimal as it appear the center will hit around Atlantic City , NJ...where I used to live in Ocean City NJ
Forecast there is steady 60 and 9 ft storm surge. Means the back bay will hoit the ocean as the highest point on the island is only 7 ft.

Looks like fun huh. Wife went home to fill the bathtubs up with water so we can flush the toiliets. I am here at the boat tied up well to adjust the lines as needed in the new few days.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-28-2012

LoboPops is on a distinguished road

Just wishing the best for all of you.
Old 10-28-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
........................... I have my house and family to consider, my boat is just a piece of equipment.
Good luck to everybody.
This reminds me that there are different strategies appropriate for different boat owners. For many the boat comes after the house, the extended family, the business and more. For those, like me with the boat as my home and no ownership of anything that is not aboard, priorities are not the same. In fact there is no other priority beyond the boat except potecting life.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-28-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
BGE expects electricity off for at least 6 days as bucket trucks dont operate in excess of 25 knots
Just a side comment:
Whenever I hear about power outages due to high winds, downed trees, fallen limbs, ice buildup, etc., I wonder why power companies continue to install and maintain overhead lines. Sure, underground is more costly initially, but not in the long run.

I started my electrical apprenticeship in 1974 and worked on a project where all the power lines were installed underground. They have never had a power outage because of power lines and poles coming down. Power outages are more than just an inconvenience, they cost lives.
I'm done ranting.
Old 10-28-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

Wonder what the C&D is going to look like with the additional 4 ft of surge on the Delaware?
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Whenever I hear about power outages due to high winds, downed trees, fallen limbs, ice buildup, etc., I wonder why power companies continue to install and maintain overhead lines. Sure, underground is more costly initially, but not in the long run.

Where I lived in coastal NJ the water table was not far below the ground. I know there it wasnt feasable. Why they let the trees grouw between the lines in MD is beyond me. A study was done in MD last year after our notorious "Doracho" lines underground. It would add 75 dollars per moth to everyone bill.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-28-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Where I lived in coastal NJ the water table was not far below the ground. I know there it wasnt feasable. Why they let the trees grouw between the lines in MD is beyond me. A study was done in MD last year after our notorious "Doracho" lines underground. It would add 75 dollars per moth to everyone bill.

dave
Not so.
Look at under ground lines in any Industrial site and the conduit is filled with water.
Dick