Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
Wonder what the C&D is going to look like with the additional 4 ft of surge on the Delaware?
dont forget the runoff----will be busy day in the neighborhood...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

God bless us, every one!

Tom
WanderingStar likes this.
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-28-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I think probably all sailors on the east coast from the Carolinas on up are affected, and others inland it looks like. Our boat will be weathering this in a slip at the marina while I cross my fingers and hope the surge doesn't do in the docks. Flooding is going to do some damage and likely power outages are going to be a hardship. This is a new one: schools in Fairfax County (VA) are already closed for Monday and Tuesday.

And on the less nasty side, this might end the sailing season earlh. I was planning to sail up until turkey day or so, but now I don't know. The Chesapeake will be trashed with debris from the flooding for quite a while I bet.

All that said, the local TV "Storm Teams" take a powerful and dangerous natural phenomenon and someone manage to hype it to the point of becoming noise--as if they are the PR team for the hurricane.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-28-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

At this time in Northest Florida we're seeing an increase in gusts from the northwest. We are far past the risks, but the the diameter of effects for this storm is amazing. 'more than a thousand miles across!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-28-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Just flew in on a red eye from Honolulu and went right to the boat from Richmond Airport. Removed the genoa, closed seacocks, wrapped the mainsail, removed all decorative canvas, doubled all lines, and added 2 extra fenders. Ran the engine while I was working to charge the batteries since I've been gone for 17 days. The tide at 1700 was already higher than normal so I moved all the lines up 1-2' on the pilings. We're pretty far up Lodge Creek, off the Yeocomico, off the lower Potomac so we're about as nestled as possible.

It looks like this one will spare us, but will probably pass right over my childhood home in Ocean City NJ. I spoke with my mom a few hours ago and her quote was "I'm so glad that I don't have those storms to worry about any more."
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-28-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

We got a reply from wingandwing, our gracious hosts when we were in Annapolis. They are seeking inland shelter but their boat (their home) stays in the harbor. We wish them well, as we do all affected by this storm.
Old 10-28-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Just a side comment:
Whenever I hear about power outages due to high winds, downed trees, fallen limbs, ice buildup, etc., I wonder why power companies continue to install and maintain overhead lines. Sure, underground is more costly initially, but not in the long run.

I started my electrical apprenticeship in 1974 and worked on a project where all the power lines were installed underground. They have never had a power outage because of power lines and poles coming down. Power outages are more than just an inconvenience, they cost lives.
I'm done ranting.
I don't think overhead lines are the problem. About 15 years ago a plant I worked in had 3 power failures lasting a whole day. Then we had some work done at our site by the power company. I had been an electrician, and had done line work myself, and I knew two of the guys on this crew. I asked about those 3 power failures, and why they lasted so long.

They told me that management had decided to pull all the fuse cutouts at the ends of all the local streets and put jumpers in their place. So when a minor fault occurs it now trips the breaker in the substation taking down the entire circuit, not just that one street. Those breakers are equipped with automatic reclosers. They will reclose the circuit up to 3 times before quiting altogether. This is what is happening when your power goes on and off a few times, then stays on or off. On the plus side the power company saves sending out a crew every time a minor fault occurs.

On the minus side lots of people have their power interrupted. However the line crews told me that the really bad part is when the circuit goes down and stays down. They used to get a call from a couple of people on one street and they'd go replace the fuse cutouts on that street. Now hundreds of people from a wide area call in. So they have no idea where the problem is unless someone actually sees where it happened and gives them an exact location!

I talked this over with a friend that worked for as an engineer designing the fault protection circuits for a different power company. He was appalled and said that this could also trigger gigantic power failures that could encompass multiple power companies and states! So I reported this to the BPU that regulates the power companies. They actually got back to me a few months later. They said they didn't actaully investigate it, but they asked the power company about the risks and were told that they were minimal. About 6 months later there was a power failure that covered the entire territory of the power company in question, along with a large part of the North East.

I suspect that since deregulation the power companies have made many cost saving decisions that have greatly destabilized our grid. Here in New Jersey instead of holding their feet to the fire they are simply warning us that the power may be out for a week or two! Imagine the economic cost of that!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-28-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

On Saturday I went to my boat in the marina in Toms River, NJ. They were pulling boats like mad. My boat currently has the keel off, so it will float real easy! Two years ago when Irene came through I took a day off and installed 4 large screw anchors and 3" wide nylon straps holding the boat down. The day of the hurricane was bright and sunny with a slight breeze, I felt like an idiot! I did it again this time.

The son of the previous owner of the marina however told me that it was the first time he had ever seen anyone tie a boat down properly for a hurricane, and he thought it was a good idea. He told me the area where my boat is flooded during a hurricane many years before, and they were retrieving boats out of the neighborhood around the marina after the storm!

All these boats they are pulling are now sitting in a flood plain, along with mine. Mine is not insured for damage, but I have liability if it damages someone else's boat. I hope that if my boat is damaged, and still anchored down that I have a good case for getting it fixed on somebody else's dime, due to negligence.

We haven't had a real hurricane in NJ since Donna when I was in third grade over 50 years ago. This state is completely unprepared, and if this hurricane really whacks us the economic damage will affect us for many years. Right now the gun looks to be pointed right at the most vulnerable areas.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Where I lived in coastal NJ the water table was not far below the ground. I know there it wasnt feasable. Why they let the trees grouw between the lines in MD is beyond me. A study was done in MD last year after our notorious "Doracho" lines underground. It would add 75 dollars per moth to everyone bill.

dave
Not so.
Look at under ground lines in any Industrial site and the conduit is filled with water.
Dick
Sorry sir but the answer from my best friend who designs the electrical grids for a major power company, Delmarva gave me that explanation. I will listen to his explanation as that is his field and what he does for a living. All of us morons know that digging a utility tunnel
The likes which you would see to a major industrial plant will have plenty of water in it, probably fresh water too. On a barrier island where I lived, or even the near bay coastal plain where the substrate is mostly loose sand and the water at table level is at best partially salt water, they don't usually lay pipes for natural gas or conduits for electrical lines. That's was the explanation given.

Here in Maryland the extra cost for the customers for re placing the lines underground as well as future maintainence being cheaper was the utilities explanation. In some ways it makes sense it's easier and can be done more quickly to replace poles than dig up conduit to find a problem in one laid underground. But what do we know, I am a food service professional and you are a chemical engineer. I am willing to leave this to people who do this for a living rather than debate it

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We got a reply from wingandwing, our gracious hosts when we were in Annapolis. They are seeking inland shelter but their boat (their home) stays in the harbor. We wish them well, as we do all affected by this storm.-julieMor

I am surprised they are looking to get off the boat as they have stayed though other storms. I saw their facebook post though. Probably wont be that bad I've got to call them as they can stay with my wife. They have been good friends to us and helped us greatly during our lightning strike this summer.

Dave
wingNwing likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-28-2012 at 10:52 PM.