Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
So when a minor fault occurs it now trips the breaker in the substation taking down the entire circuit, not just that one street. Those breakers are equipped with automatic reclosers. They will reclose the circuit up to 3 times before quiting altogether.
You're right. That's a pretty standard setup. A member of my local was killed when the line he was working on automatically re-closed, twice. But the faults causing the circuits to open in the first place most often occur when power lines come down and ground out or when transformers come down off the poles and short out between the phases or just fail from the shorting lines. Strong winds can cause shorts when the lines (which are mostly uninsulated) whip into one another.

We're hoping for the best for everyone affected by this storm. Keep us informed as to how you're doing. Best wishes to you all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Power is off here. Internet and phone come and go. Best wishes to all. I'll report back in a couple of days.
Old 10-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Power off in the area. I am on boat battery power. Thank goodness for the 660 ah bank.
Winds steady 45 gusts seen at 63. Wind direction good to prevent surge. All major bridges closed as Sandy is ashore at Cape May moving due west. Due west of Cape May is Baltimore where I am. I95 bridge over Susquehanna closed. Bay bridge..closed. Conowingo Dam on Susquehanna...all 35 gates open. Forecast calls for 12 inches rain for us, more for mountains west of us as it lifts over elevation and squeezes out water. Tides for tomorrow expected to be 2-4 above normal unlike today. West Viginia forecast two feet of snow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-29-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Dave - That takes real balls to ride it out on the boat! Rain has stopped here, and forecasts for more rain have been really cut back to about 2" more. That's it. The wind is really howling past my house, but direction is parallel to my boat, so hopefully it won't blow off the stands. Direction will shift tomorrow to a little less favorable direction, but speed is forecast to be less than tonight.

Here's something I posted on Facebook a few minutes ago:

Quote:
After all the hype today about the storm hitting during an "astronomical high tide" (is there any high tide that is not astronomical?), the hurricane came ashore at 6 pm, exactly halfway between high tide and low tide. (They don't mention that on TV because it takes away from the hype.) The barometer in Lewes has bottomed out, confirming that the eye has passed by the mouth of the Delaware Bay. NOAA's level sensors there show that the tidal surge peaked at about 5 feet, but it came before landfall, very close to low tide. All of this means that the effect of the surge could be less in Philadelphia than the hypsters are suggesting. The effect of runoff down the river could actually be as much as the surge coming up the river.

I am not an expert at tidal hydrology, so do not alter any precautionary plans based on what I'm about to say. But it sure looks to me like the river's high tide tonight (1:36 am in Philadelphia) will peak at a level of about 8-10 feet, no worse than Irene, and similar to April 17, 2011, when a spring rainstorm took the river to 10 feet (see link ).

I'll check in the morning to see if my prediction was right. I hope so, otherwise my boat (currently sitting on land a hundred yards from the edge of the river) may end up floating away with a bunch of other boats, refrigerators, trees, and other debris.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-29-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Here in Toms River NJ its going nuts. Way worse than earlier. I hope my beach house is still in tact, but i doubt it. Word has it the ocean has met the bay in several locations.
Seacurves likes this.

Old 10-29-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Here in Toms River NJ its going nuts. Way worse than earlier. I hope my beach house is still in tact, but i doubt it. Word has it the ocean has met the bay in several locations.
Points north of where the eye made landfall are getting a lot stronger surge than points south of it. I forgot to mention that in my prior post.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-29-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Some quick updates I'm hearing from around the Bay.

Shelter Harbor Marina on LBI is in a bad way. Just received and email that all the boats in their parking lot have either floated off or been swamped by waves -- waves in the parking lot.

The floating docks are trashed and have floated off the pilings and the seawall to the bay is overtopped. I'm getting this third hand via email. Reportedly the marina crew are weathering the storm in the office.

On other parts of the island the dunes have been overtopped and the ocean has reportedly met the bay.

Hope anyone who decided to ride it out on the island makes it through the night OK.

The USGS weather station at Barnegat Light reported wind gusts in excess of 80 miles an hour.

The tidal surge up Cedar Creek is up to 7 feet acording to USGS Tide Station.

It should be about the same surge for those who've gone up Forked River.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Dave - That takes real balls to ride it out on the boat! Rain has stopped here, and forecasts for more rain have been really cut back to about 2" more. That's it. The wind is really howling past my house, but direction is parallel to my boat, so hopefully it won't blow off the stands. Direction will shift tomorrow to a little less favorable direction, but speed is forecast to be less than tonight.-takefive
Rick,

No balls, just crazy, but you knew that. I also am helping out at the club. We are all owners here unlike a marina so we band together at ties like this. Clubhouse is open, we are watching everyone else's boats, making meals together, and of oourse partying . Government is closed anyway so I am off. Donna is a nurse so was home today and is working the next two. She was without electricity since 2 today, while I have my boats power and a nice hot shower. I have to tell you it was major being on the boat today.

Don't give up on ths storm yet, we are only half way through it. We still have the backside to go through yet which will take another 18 hours. We are in a little bit of a lull right now as the old eye of the storm is 20 miles north right now. Winds have dropped from 45 continuous with gusts to 68 to now 20 straight line with an occasional 30. Took the time to adjust lines and chafe gear. Forecast is for the tides to be 3-7 ft above normal on tomorrow's incoming high at 6:35. Winds will be 45 continuous with gusts to 70 from the SW then S. right at my stern.grrrrrr. Forecasting 5 inches more of rain as the is the wrap around rains come through. No time to relax yet. Sandys juggernaught production still has a second act left. My old home in Ocean City, NJ was destroyed today when Sandy came ashore.

Hope all are safe, your families are safe, and your boats come though it unscathed.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-29-2012
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

Best wishes to all of you on or near the water during this storm and her aftermath.

WV panhandle is far enough away to only have strong winds and downed trees - I think I may be faring better than most of the areas surrounding me. Snow west, floods east, and so far the house is holding up. We'll see if any parts are missing in the morning.
Old 10-29-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Good luck guys....