Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

When Sandy was still a tropical storm I was watching the weather channel when the analyst said several computer models have TS Sandy turning into a hurricane briefly over the Bahamas then turning east over the Atlantic. One however has it hugging the coast then slamming into the northeast coast, zeroing in on New York.

It seems that one was right.

Today I saw storm surges in the Chesapeake predicted to rise 1-2 feet to as much as 8 feet farther north. I know we have a lot of Chessies here.

What do the predictions look like for those possibly in the path? Will you all be okay? Fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
Re: Will Hurricane Sandy Affect You?

Wind from the north 15-20 gust to 30 here in Charleston today (Saturday). Temperature and barometer dropping.
Old 10-27-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Perfect fall weather here in Dallas. However my Bro-in-law & Sis-in-law live on Plum Island, just north of Boston. Got my fingers crossed for them, although mostly for their property, as they are soaking up sun in Hawaii for the next week.
Old 10-27-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Yes, we are in Annapolis.

Since I don't own a boat though, we're all good there! It's nice to not have that worry at the moment.. I do hope Heron makes it through ok though.
Old 10-27-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

5 p.m. on the Gulf of Mexico Saturday- Sandy is still blowing hard; she is a force to be reckoned with-
we have gusty, constant 17 knot winds~ even this far away, over a day since she steamed north- she is still a terror
prepare prepare prepare
Old 10-27-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Well here on the Hudson likely. Yesterday was like doomsday at the marina as the crane worked nonstop. We got our boat out of the water around 4 pm. I am sure some will be left in the water. Have been seeing yachts from NYC heading north along the river all day. In Rondout Creek we have been seeing many boats from the city docked. Irene raised the river 5'- 6' and it stayed that way for a couple weeks. I would expect the same this time.
Old 10-27-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

I've been hanging out on the Weather Underground and NWS web sites. They show a number of tracks, but still with a great deal of uncertainty. All the tracks are plus or minus 200+ miles. Assuming that the predictions are good enough that the actual track is within 50 miles of the predicted track, both my boat in Pasadena, MD and my house in Chantilly, VA will be hit pretty hard. I am expecting Sandy to bring 60 kt winds, 1 - 1.5 ft of storm surge in the Chesapeake (wherever it lands), and 8" - 12" of rain in the general area. But what really has me worried is the flooding that will occur afterwards.

The NAM and GFS tracks show Sandy passing just to the north of Baltimore. The GFDL model shows the eye passing just south of Washington D.C. Given the uncertainties still involved, these models more or less agree. What is astounding is the way this thing is going to spread out as it meets and merges with the cold front. We are all going to see nasty weather from Northern North Carolina to north of Long Island in New York.

Happily, this morning Tranquility Base was hauled. It now sits 20 feet above sea level on 6 jack stands. I removed the sails and wrapped the main halyard around the mast to prevent chafe from slapping. The jib halyard is attached to my aluminum toe rail, out and away from the mast, for the same reason. I removed the bimini and laid the frame down on the cockpit. TB is as ready as I can make her. I am pretty confident she will be just fine, so long as an embedded tornado doesn't get her. I wish I could say the same for my house! This house is 21 years old, and I watched its construction. Houses in the D.C. area are not well built unless you pay double and use a custom builder (I didn't). It has been through this kind of wind in summer thunderstorms, but those are over in 15 minutes. It has never faced that kind of stress for 2 days straight. I lost shingles to the thunderstorms. I'm wondering what additional damage an extended pounding will do.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 10-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

had it continued going west while forming, it would have been a big mess here in mexico--but i t went north and now is a big deal for my family in hudson river valley area in ny.....that nice big front just west of the hurrycame is spozed to merge with it-- we will see...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-27-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

She already has. Spent the day taking down the sails, stripping canvas, putting out every fender and fenderboard I had and doubling up lines.

We're hoping for a landfall well north of Cape Charles, (VA tip of the Chesapeake) so we'll get north,northwest and westerly winds all of which would diminish any storm surge. The forecast winds don't really scare me but a big surge scares me more than Freddy Kruger.
Old 10-27-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

This is what Irene did. This is the club house.

http://everythingcroton.blogspot.com...yach-club.html

The boats were all in the water tied to the floating docks. It looked like someone put floating docks in the middle of the river.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.

Last edited by jppp; 10-27-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.