SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   DIY Dinghy Lift at Transom Location (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93530-diy-dinghy-lift-transom-location.html)

HighFly_27 10-28-2012 02:20 PM

DIY Dinghy Lift at Transom Location

I'm going to buy a dinghy for my Islander 37 and want to make up my own lift. I'm asking if anyone made their own lift. I did a search here (SNet) and did not find anything. Also, I looked at what is available & got a taste of sticker shock...pretty $$$ salty.

The dinghy I was looking at ..weighs about 173 lbs. I'm sailing single handed and 64 YO. I'm not looking to be grunting all the time to load the dighy. I was planning on leaving it on the lifting rig.. nearly all the time.

So, let me know what you DIY Folks have come up with ______ ?
I have fully tooled shop and quite handy and can make up/ and adapt about anything.

I will be posting another Request for Recommended Dinghy's.

Looking for something around $ 1,500.00 or lower. My cruising location is FL and Caribbean Island chain. Also, used is Ok, must be in good shape.

Avery (HighFly27)

Michael K 10-28-2012 02:35 PM

Re: DIY Dinghy Lift at Transom Location

Take a look at the Dinghy Tow concept. Essentially you'll drag your dink backwards with its transom and outboard high and dry. If your dink ever ships any water it'll only be a bow's worth and you will never need to do more than half the lifting you thought you would. Since you are handy a facsimile will be easy to make.

HighFly_27 10-28-2012 03:07 PM

I never thought of that idea, thanks for the info. . I could make a lift arm fairly easy to lift the rear of the dinghy up.

Thanks,

Avery

jayw 10-28-2012 06:28 PM

I made a davit for hauling lobster traps using a 2-inch heavy walled aluminum pipe...just bent it to about 45 degrees using a pipe bender. Very strong, could pull the rail of the boat under without bending. I'm sure 175 lbs is not a problem. No signs of corrosion after 5 years.

HighFly_27 10-28-2012 06:53 PM

Jayw

Now, That's what I'm talking about. I just found a big scrap yard and they are loaded with everything you could think of. I'll call them and see if they can locate some 2", 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 alu.. hvy. wall pipe. I'll ask them to find some base plate too, say 3/8 thick and that ought to do it. I think.. I'll get a little 12 V DC winch and mount it on top with a remote, they do not cost that much for the 500/ 1000 lb. size winches. Now, that ought to be the hot set up, a lot better than the $ 1.5 K deal I saw today and pull the rope deal.

Good Idea, Thank You,

Avery

chef2sail 10-28-2012 07:23 PM

Check out the Garhauer davits. My 11/4 inch SS were about $1000 with 6:1 purchase. You could ckeck their design ven if you want to fabricate your own. Make sure you use large backing plates to spread the load as well as side supports and a bar to make them rigid.

I have a Walker Bay Odesseey with 4hp Tahatsu. Motor weights 72. Dinghy weighs 60 and has a weight limit of 1100 lbs.

dave

pdqaltair 10-28-2012 08:05 PM

Many davits are overly complicated because they try to mount the whole business on a deck flange, instead of allowing the pipes to pass through and be secured inside, like a keel stepped mast. That is how they are on a PDQ 32; very simple, large diameter tubing passes through the transom via a flange and is secured to an inner transom at a second flange.
Sail Delmarva: All Triced-Up

A 6:1 tackle with cam cleats is very easy and allows for a rest. The cam cleats are backed up with horn cleats and the dingy triced-up as well.
Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits

Given that you have a monohull, you will need higher davits and thus the pipe will need a higher angle and a bend, but this is one way to keep the fabrication quite simple. And simple is strong.

chef2sail 10-29-2012 03:29 AM

Garhauer has two different types of set ups. One with a transom mount large backing plate with side supports and 2 heavy duty rail clamps . Second is as PDQ suggests, thru the deck to a bracket sitting and glassed onto the hull, also with side supports and 2 heavy duty rail clamps. The Garhauer come with horn cleats, cam cleat , carabiner shackle, and 6X1 block with 60 ft of line. These can be made and constructed.

Garhauer products are half the price at least of other davits.

Dave