Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
DIY Dinghy Lift at Transom Location

I'm going to buy a dinghy for my Islander 37 and want to make up my own lift. I'm asking if anyone made their own lift. I did a search here (SNet) and did not find anything. Also, I looked at what is available & got a taste of sticker shock...pretty $$$ salty.

The dinghy I was looking at ..weighs about 173 lbs. I'm sailing single handed and 64 YO. I'm not looking to be grunting all the time to load the dighy. I was planning on leaving it on the lifting rig.. nearly all the time.

So, let me know what you DIY Folks have come up with ______ ?
I have fully tooled shop and quite handy and can make up/ and adapt about anything.

I will be posting another Request for Recommended Dinghy's.

Looking for something around $ 1,500.00 or lower. My cruising location is FL and Caribbean Island chain. Also, used is Ok, must be in good shape.

Avery (HighFly27)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2012

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Dinghy Lift at Transom Location

Take a look at the Dinghy Tow concept. Essentially you'll drag your dink backwards with its transom and outboard high and dry. If your dink ever ships any water it'll only be a bow's worth and you will never need to do more than half the lifting you thought you would. Since you are handy a facsimile will be easy to make.
Old 10-28-2012

I never thought of that idea, thanks for the info. . I could make a lift arm fairly easy to lift the rear of the dinghy up.

Thanks,

Avery
Old 10-28-2012

jayw is on a distinguished road

I made a davit for hauling lobster traps using a 2-inch heavy walled aluminum pipe...just bent it to about 45 degrees using a pipe bender. Very strong, could pull the rail of the boat under without bending. I'm sure 175 lbs is not a problem. No signs of corrosion after 5 years.
Old 10-28-2012

Jayw

Now, That's what I'm talking about. I just found a big scrap yard and they are loaded with everything you could think of. I'll call them and see if they can locate some 2", 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 alu.. hvy. wall pipe. I'll ask them to find some base plate too, say 3/8 thick and that ought to do it. I think.. I'll get a little 12 V DC winch and mount it on top with a remote, they do not cost that much for the 500/ 1000 lb. size winches. Now, that ought to be the hot set up, a lot better than the $ 1.5 K deal I saw today and pull the rope deal.

Good Idea, Thank You,

Avery
Old 10-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Check out the Garhauer davits. My 11/4 inch SS were about $1000 with 6:1 purchase. You could ckeck their design ven if you want to fabricate your own. Make sure you use large backing plates to spread the load as well as side supports and a bar to make them rigid.

I have a Walker Bay Odesseey with 4hp Tahatsu. Motor weights 72. Dinghy weighs 60 and has a weight limit of 1100 lbs.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-28-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Many davits are overly complicated because they try to mount the whole business on a deck flange, instead of allowing the pipes to pass through and be secured inside, like a keel stepped mast. That is how they are on a PDQ 32; very simple, large diameter tubing passes through the transom via a flange and is secured to an inner transom at a second flange.
Sail Delmarva: All Triced-Up

A 6:1 tackle with cam cleats is very easy and allows for a rest. The cam cleats are backed up with horn cleats and the dingy triced-up as well.
Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits

Given that you have a monohull, you will need higher davits and thus the pipe will need a higher angle and a bend, but this is one way to keep the fabrication quite simple. And simple is strong.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 10-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Garhauer has two different types of set ups. One with a transom mount large backing plate with side supports and 2 heavy duty rail clamps . Second is as PDQ suggests, thru the deck to a bracket sitting and glassed onto the hull, also with side supports and 2 heavy duty rail clamps. The Garhauer come with horn cleats, cam cleat , carabiner shackle, and 6X1 block with 60 ft of line. These can be made and constructed.

Garhauer products are half the price at least of other davits.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner