Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Originally Posted by bloodhunter
... But does anyone know (not rumor but fact) whether Walbridge actually did any of the things he talked about -- chasing hurricanes, running under bare poles in a 70 kt wind, etc. I mean true hurricane-force winds and seas, not a near gale with some gusts of 50 kts. Watching the interview I had a feeling he had not, but I really don't know. I have to confess that some 50 years ago, through an act of supreme stupidity by myself and three other young men, I was caught in a similar situation to that of the Bounty in more or less the same area. We were lucky to survive. I just can't imagine anyone who has gone through a hurricane in a small boat talking as blithely about it as Walbridge did in that interview.

Both the crew and Walbridge's wife are on record that he DID in fact sail into hurricanes.

There is also a fairly disturbing video of Bounty heaving to-

Rough seas on HMS Bounty - YouTube

They call that "rough seas", then he claimed to have sailed in 70 footers.... Go figure....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
That MIGHT happen, but it usually is does not. Most people cannot recite what they heard, word for word, an hour later. And in any case, your point is moot, as the person recalling what Walbridge said was NOT part of the crew.
Let me see if I understand you. Your point is that story about how Bount'ys Captain said how he was going to maneuver the Hurricane with his Ship was probably not accurate. I am saying that is such a weird statement that should have been marked in the memory of the ones that hear it. The statement was produced to the crew and some other persons that were there, a small group.

The article that refers that is published at 3/11 and Bounty leaved at 25/10 so are talking about a week or less between the statement and the moment it was told to the reporter by New London Dockmaster Barbara Neff. Not a month or a year and it is a pretty simple statement:

He wanted to get a jump on a massive weather system coming from the south ....

Walbridge formed a circle with his thumbs and index fingers, and told listeners to look at his right thumb. It represented the southeastern section of the hurricane.

“He said he wanted to get to the southeast quadrant and ride the storm out",

Bounty's ill-fated trip in face of hurricane scrutinized | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

How difficult is to remember such a simple statement a week before being made and obviously being such a dramatic statement. There is some drama in saying that he is going to out-sail an hurricane you have to admit, is not as saying that tomorrow is going to rain.

He said that to a a small group that included the crew and Barbara Neff. Barbara new the Captain for 15 years and that's why she was probably on that group.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-29-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
(snippage)
If nothing else this whole Bounty affair is showing us that there really is a gulf between the recreational (including the TSC) hobbyist and the professional mariner. These guys are really really scary, a lot scarier than I ever believed they were. I think this storm has opened a few eyes but unfortunately it seems to have driven some of the survivors into a deeper defensive position, from fear or just embarrassment I don’t know.”[/COLOR]

Rob Almeida | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
Paolo, you posted this at least once, a couple of WEEKS ago. It hasn't become any more illuminating, nor any less offensive. I mean, God knows "preofessional mariners" never do anything wrong...
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:
Paolo, you posted this at least once, a couple of WEEKS ago. It hasn't become any more illuminating, nor any less offensive. I mean, God knows "preofessional mariners" never do anything wrong...
To make it clear, It is not me that it is saying that. I have just posted it and I guess that now they would find us ( I mean Rob Almeida and other professional captains and sailors) a bit less scarier since in the end we aligned with the position and views they had taken right since the first day.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal Paradise
"Capt. Robin Walbridge stood on the deck of the 180-foot wooden sailing ship Bounty on the sunny afternoon of Oct. 25. The wind was so mild that the ship had motored back to harbor after a short sail. The Bounty was tied to a city pier in New London, Conn.

Walbridge told a small group that the Bounty would be leaving for St. Petersburg, Fla., that night instead of the next morning. He wanted to get a jump on a massive weather system coming from the south that forecasters were calling “historic” and that one already had dubbed “Frankenstorm.”

Walbridge formed a circle with his thumbs and index fingers, and told listeners to look at his right thumb. It represented the southeastern section of the hurricane.
“He said he wanted to get to the southeast quadrant and ride the storm out,” said New London Dockmaster Barbara Neff. No one raised objections."

Comment - not a lot of damn time for a crew member to decide to leave the ship, a couple hours at most - and with a sense of loyalty towards each other, the storm still days away and the belief that the Captain would know what to do. Well, I can see how they decided to go, with such little time to consider the danger, they stuck together and went.

I would like to point out that there is no mention of any crew members being present at this oft-refered to event. The person writing the article was not present, either, and the whole event is per the recollection of one person, a week later.
Who do you think he is referring to when he says "No one raised objections" if not to the crew?

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-29-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Who do you think he is referring to when he says "No one raised objections" if not to the crew?

Regards

Paulo
I think their was a small group of drunks sitting on the dock, listening to the Capt. No one raised objections, so the Bounty set sail.
Old 11-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

This is becoming like playing a 78 rpm record at 33rpm with a scratch in it which sends it back to the beginning. Same phrases.

So let me ask why? Whats the agenda for doing that? We all get it and can read it the first time...and if not surley the second time? Why keep repeating yourself with the same
accusations. Those who beleive certainly will not change their minds. Neither will those who dont. Is it your mission ( those who keep repeating themselves) to drum or force yourselves on others. Its kind of like vopting we each are entitled to only one opinion.

To those who are creative or loose with their quotes, pictures and posting from other sources and "doctor them" to prove your point it isnt necessary. There is no point. You are entitled to your opinion.

Th captain sailed into a hurricane ( bad decision).....he paid with his life. So did a crewmate who was given the choice to remain at the dock- These are the facts.

The investigation, whenevrr it concludes in many months will determining the rest of the facts from rumors. There will be conclusions from real professionas not bloggers from social media sites. I doubt they will call any of us as witnesses.

Then and only then will this be really settled.

Can we agree to post only new material which hasnt been posted already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-29-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Well, I spoke with the Schooner Girl who was one of the first to speak with a crew member a few hour's after the rescue. He is at home with his folks. He is suffering from survivors guilt. I was called back to sea early and I'm back on the tug so I'll probably miss meeting him. She said there was no cult like vibe on board the Bounty, just a bunch of salty kids who love the sea and now have a new found respect for it. Some lessons come hard, this was a hard one.
chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
She said there was no cult like vibe on board the Bounty, just a bunch of salty kids who love the sea and now have a new found respect for it.
Sounds a lot like most of us SNers. Regardless of age, we're still just a bunch of salty kids once we're out on the water, having the time of our lives! What would Neptune do without us?
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This is becoming like playing a 78 rpm record at 33rpm with a scratch in it which sends it back to the beginning. Same phrases.

So let me ask why? Whats the agenda for doing that? We all get it and can read it the first time...and if not surley the second time? Why keep repeating yourself with the same
accusations. Those who beleive certainly will not change their minds. Neither will those who dont. Is it your mission ( those who keep repeating themselves) to drum or force yourselves on others. Its kind of like vopting we each are entitled to only one opinion.

To those who are creative or loose with their quotes, pictures and posting from other sources and "doctor them" to prove your point it isnt necessary. There is no point. You are entitled to your opinion.

Th captain sailed into a hurricane ( bad decision).....he paid with his life. So did a crewmate who was given the choice to remain at the dock- These are the facts.

The investigation, whenevrr it concludes in many months will determining the rest of the facts from rumors. There will be conclusions from real professionas not bloggers from social media sites. I doubt they will call any of us as witnesses.

Then and only then will this be really settled.

Can we agree to post only new material which hasnt been posted already.
Dave, this is internet, we like to chat. See this place like a bar where he exchange some jokes and in the end something positive will come out of it, even if it said many times.

I don't understand what you mean with :"Whats the agenda for doing that? We all get it and can read it the first time...and if not surley the second time? Why keep repeating yourself with the same accusations. Those who beleive certainly will not change their minds. Neither will those who dont. "

I don't think nobody has a hidden agenda or an open one; I don't see nobody doing accusations and in what regards changing minds I don't see nobody with a different basic opinion, we are only discussing details and enjoying it.

No, let me open one more beer

Regards

Paulo