Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems that more information is available:

The chief mate of a replica 18th-century sailing ship that sank off North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy told investigators Tuesday that the ship's captain twice refused his pleas to order the crew to abandon ship.
It wasn't until he made a third plea that the captain gave the order — moments before the ship rolled and tossed the crew into the water.

Svendsen said the ship was taking on water and had no power when it rolled over and sank. He also told investigators the captain didn't alert Coast Guard officials of the ship's deteriorating condition when he first suggested it, with Capt. Robin Walbridge choosing to focus on fixing failing generators instead. Svendsen disagreed with Walbridge on that decision, along with several others....

Before ever leaving New London, Conn., for St. Petersburg, Fla., Svendsen said he had told Walbridge that he and other crew members were concerned about his decision to head directly toward the top of the storm as it approached.
"I had mentioned other options as far as staying in and not going out to sea. Robin felt the ship was safer at sea," Svendsen said....

HMS Bounty crewman says he urged abandoning ship - Yahoo! News

And to finish the paragraph quoted

Quote:
Walbridge explained his decision to the ship's crew before leaving Connecticut and offered to let anyone who wasn't comfortable with it leave, but nobody chose to do so.
confirming what has been reported before that the crew was given a choice to leave or stay on the vessel

http://news.yahoo.com/hms-bounty-cre...12564.html]HMS Bounty crewman says he urged abandoning ship - Yahoo! News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems that more information is available:

The chief mate of a replica 18th-century sailing ship that sank off North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy told investigators Tuesday that the ship's captain twice refused his pleas to order the crew to abandon ship.
It wasn't until he made a third plea that the captain gave the order — moments before the ship rolled and tossed the crew into the water.

Svendsen said the ship was taking on water and had no power when it rolled over and sank. He also told investigators the captain didn't alert Coast Guard officials of the ship's deteriorating condition when he first suggested it, with Capt. Robin Walbridge choosing to focus on fixing failing generators instead. Svendsen disagreed with Walbridge on that decision, along with several others....

Before ever leaving New London, Conn., for St. Petersburg, Fla., Svendsen said he had told Walbridge that he and other crew members were concerned about his decision to head directly toward the top of the storm as it approached.
"I had mentioned other options as far as staying in and not going out to sea. Robin felt the ship was safer at sea," Svendsen said....

HMS Bounty crewman says he urged abandoning ship - Yahoo! News

A poster from gCaptain is covering the hearings, as well...

Looks like from that particular day of testimony, his account of the proceedings is a bit more accurate than that of the AP, or VIRGINIAN-PILOT...

Quote:

The first time I weighed in about the Bounty sinking I said that if “I’ve learned anything in my career, it’s that speculation rarely lines up with facts.” It turns out that facts rarely line up with facts, either. My own local paper – The Virginian Pilot – reported that Svendsen stated that he “twice urged Walbridge to abandon ship before Walbridge agreed,” and later in the same article report that “Svendsen twice told Walbridge they should abandon ship before Walbridge agreed. The boat rolled before an orderly evacuation could happen, spilling crew members into the ocean.” The Pilot left out that the time between his first urging and Walbridge’s agreement was two minutes. Sincerely – there was a time for an “orderly evacuation,” and it was long before Svendsen first urged his captain.

Bounty Hearings Begin – Chief Mate Testifies | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
Old 02-13-2013

Bounty hearings streamed

HMS Bounty hearings

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-13-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Bounty hearings streamed

HMS Bounty hearings
Nothing there from the link. May be there are on break at 12:30 pm

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Nothing there from the link. May be there are on break at 12:30 pm
Yes on break till 1300

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-13-2013

Video is back, but no audio

It is WERKING now.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 02-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2013

Listening to the shipwright/builder from Boothbay. Previous to himn was the the President of the Tall Ships association of America

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Listening to the shipwright/builder from Boothbay. Previous to himn was the the President of the Tall Ships association of America
I am watching now.

Since the video is being streamed, I canceled my trip to Portsmouth this evening.

Fine Print:
Old 02-13-2013

1. Only 15 % of the seams were re-caulked for the whole boat. After the boat was hulled out, there were 4 to 5 weeping area from the hull.

2. Crews did decent job to repair the seams.
3. Above waterline and deck, bad shape and need repair, Upside, only 6 years old, but excessive decay.
4. Planking decayed from inside to about 2/3 of the plank

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 02-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2013

Yes he is talking about the shocking degradation (rot) of the wood on the side planking. He differentiated between rot ( fresh water) with spores and other rot. Only way to fix is to replace. He recommended to Walbridge to replace all. Walbridge replaced some, but wanted to wait until the next haul

When asked if he told CG at the next inspection he said no. He said he told his boss.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-