Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

There are no bad seas, only different seas? From an Hurricane we want a god ride? Jesus

Look after min 10.40.
Yea, looks like he got the ride of his life..........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

That is unbelievable! I got the impression he thought the boat was invincible and therefore his ambitions were reasonable. I just wonder if the crew had the same opinions on the subject.

It almost makes you wonder if he didn't sail out towards Sandy specifically for the thrill. I hope not. There's no place for thrill-seeking when you're responsible for human lives.
PCP likes this.
Old 11-01-2012

"Biography - Captain Robin Walbridge

According to Captain Robin Walbridge, Bounty has no boundaries. As her captain, he is well known for his ability and desire to take Bounty to places that no ship has gone before. "

TallShipBounty.org

Give him credit, he did what he set out to do..........
Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
That is unbelievable! I got the impression he thought the boat was invincible and therefore his ambitions were reasonable. I just wonder if the crew had the same opinions on the subject.

It almost makes you wonder if he didn't sail out towards Sandy specifically for the thrill. I hope not. There's no place for thrill-seeking when you're responsible for human lives.

Looks that way, see my above post. You know it makes you wonder, the best captains are probably green captains.
Old 11-01-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

they were never IN a hurricane. never. they wer e WEST of the hurricane and AST of a strong cold front, that was merging with the hurricane. if you GO TO BOUNTY'S FB AN DWEB PAGES you will see the path exactly between the two fronts. no steep seas and winds were only 40 mph, as per the rescue scene. where the two fronts have meeting winds, is a space not wide , to be able to use for a time.
please read bounty's sites and see what he was doing and what exactly happened. if you noticed in some videos of the bounty, her hatches were open, causing ingress of plenty of water. her sailing in a sea fast is a twisty action on the hull-- therefore need for pumps in any wood ship. is most important tool in wood boat--pumps and extra pumps.
answer your questions, as i answered mine -- read the pages written by the team receiving the info from the ship as they had problems. is posted in both sites.
wingNwing and jimjazzdad like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2012

Ok answer these questions:
From video Capt states (I think I herd this correctly, audio is poor on my end) that the original Bounty was 97 feet, and the replica was 180 feet. The replica in no way can represent the sea worthy qualities of the original. Capt states although drawings were obtained during the ship's building, they probably were not used.

Capt also states the ship can only go 90 degrees to the wind and the ship cannot sail into the wind. Then Capt says they do not use the engines at sea, only sail. Do not see how you can sail a ship by basically always going sideways or down wind, seeing they went to places that were opposite direction to the normal trade wind routes. And if the ship normally always sailed while at ses, why would the loss of the engines be a problem- apparently the engines were not used to dewater the boat, the genset was (which was knocked out of service).
Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
they were never IN a hurricane. never. they wer e WEST of the hurricane and AST of a strong cold front, that was merging with the hurricane. if you GO TO BOUNTY'S FB AN DWEB PAGES you will see the path exactly between the two fronts. no steep seas and winds were only 40 mph, as per the rescue scene. where the two fronts have meeting winds, is a space not wide , to be able to use for a time.
please read bounty's sites and see what he was doing and what exactly happened. if you noticed in some videos of the bounty, her hatches were open, causing ingress of plenty of water. her sailing in a sea fast is a twisty action on the hull-- therefore need for pumps in any wood ship. is most important tool in wood boat--pumps and extra pumps.
answer your questions, as i answered mine -- read the pages written by the team receiving the info from the ship as they had problems. is posted in both sites.
Please post links, I cannot find what you speak of, and the Bounty site says they are down.
Regards
Old 11-01-2012

mistermizu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It was doing 10.3 kn from the Examiner.com
If you look at the position log available via the Bounty website (tallshipbounty) - (current location) it seems that from 10:31 to 13:33 on the 28th Oct, the ship covered 58nm at an average speed of over 19 knots. If this is correct, then given the ship's normal cruising speed of 10 knots, something out of the ordinary must have been experienced. The ship could have been surfing and also riding a gulf stream back eddy. Without input from crew members, it is hard to know exactly what was going on. But if the ship did in fact manage to cover those 58 nm in 3 hrs (and the satellite records suggest they did), the conditions encountered by the vessel would have been beyond extreme, and it would not be surprising that many systems started to fail and the integrity of the rig and hull were compromised. Hard to imagine that any number of crew could have handled such a ship on such a sleyride.
L124C, casey1999 and JulieMor like this.
Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermizu View Post
If you look at the position log available via the Bounty website (tallshipbounty) - (current location) it seems that from 10:31 to 13:33 on the 28th Oct, the ship covered 58nm at an average speed of over 19 knots. If this is correct, then given the ship's normal cruising speed of 10 knots, something out of the ordinary must have been experienced. The ship could have been surfing and also riding a gulf stream back eddy. Without input from crew members, it is hard to know exactly what was going on. But if the ship did in fact manage to cover those 58 nm in 3 hrs (and the satellite records suggest they did), the conditions encountered by the vessel would have been beyond extreme, and it would not be surprising that many systems started to fail and the integrity of the rig and hull were compromised. Hard to imagine that any number of crew could have handled such a ship on such a sleyride.
Were they in the Bermuda Triangle?
Old 11-01-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
This from Sailing Anarchy front page, earlier interview with the capt. Look at 10:47 for what he thinks about hurricanes.

If this is not a doctored interview, then I just can't believe what I'm hearing:

Sailing Anarchy Home Page
Wow!....Talk about "Tugging on Superman's cape"! I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find skippers of modern ships with that much disregard for the forces of nature... Much less, an old style "underpowered" wooden boat with massive windows in the Stearn (nice view, but what could go wrong there in a hurry in big seas?)!
In addition, regarding an earlier post stating this ship carried considerably fewer and less experienced crew than the original Bounty - According to this interview, it was twice the size of the original! Unlike the Bounty, it did have a motor, but still...