Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Casey 1999

Pictures and a first hand interview with a survivor I saw. I trust the Coast gaurd officers statement before I trust PCPs g captain report

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Casey 1999

Pictures and a first hand interview with a survivor I saw. I trust the Coast gaurd officers statement before I trust PCPs g captain report
Well when the coast guard left the scene the ships mast were still above the water, so the ship had not completely sunk. For all we know the ship could still be floating, unless you want to assume it did sink after the CG left the scene.
Old 11-08-2012

Remember while you attack me I am not saying the the Captain isnt responsible. I am saying there are many facts not discovered as of yet. The investigation will take a long time, but I am confident that ALL the facts will come out. This doesnt mean I beleive the Captains responsibility will be absolved. IMHO I beleive other contributing factors will be found and other will also be held responsible. Note: I am identifying that statement as my opinion only, not as fact... a humble sailor

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
Remember while you attack me I am not saying the the Captain isnt responsible. I am saying there are many facts not discovered as of yet. The investigation will take a long time, but I am confident that ALL the facts will come out. This doesnt mean I beleive the Captains responsibility will be absolved. IMHO I beleive other contributing factors will be found and other will also be held responsible. Note: I am identifying that statement as my opinion only, not as fact... a humble sailor
No one is attacking you. Just pointing out the fact that we as humans make assumptions. Even the CG report will make assumptions based on evidence and experience of the examiner.

I too egerly wait for the CG report. That report may find some amazing evidence that shows the Capt made a remarkable and correct decision to take the ship to sea.

I also hope the CG report will examine the sailing qualities of the Bounty. Was she a motor/sail? What type weather could she handle and how close to windward could she sail? Was her ballasting correct (notice in records some major changes had been made to the ballast type and location)?

Last edited by casey1999; 11-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2012

Casey1999

have you read the forward report from Roger Long...intersting reading

The WoodenBoat Forum

Stability of Boats and Ships

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So the assumption here is that all facts should be discovered by the media and out by a week....hmmmmmm. Interesting standard both time wise and who discovers and uncovers facts
Wow, man. Is that even remotely what I said?

Did I say "all the facts should be discovered"?

I asked if there were any facts that contradicted the damning ones we have. Are there?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
Casey1999

have you read the forward report from Roger Long...intersting reading

The WoodenBoat Forum

Stability of Boats and Ships
Yes, I read those about a year ago. A lot of it would take me some time to fully understand (and I am a licensed Mechanical Engineer). I did sail on the original Pride of Baltimore so I found the articles very interesting.
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
I asked if there were any facts that contradicted the damning ones we have. Are there?
The only damning facts appear to be about the captain. All others may come out in time. May actually take longer than 7 days and may take professionals to root them out/
Proably why the have professionals not media or bloggers on investigative boards

My answer is that all the facts may not be in evidence yet, they may not be discovered in 7 days or by the media

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
.....My answer is that all the facts may not be in evidence yet, they may not be discovered in 7 days or by the media
I'm sure all the facts are not in evidence yet. But, conversationally, with 14 survivors, I would expect to have heard at least one fact by now to suggest there should be anything other than the damning opinions drawn by most. Just one, not all.

By the way, the famous "six degrees of separation" has been scientifically proven to be only about 2 degrees now, because of the internet. That suggests to me that it is statistically impossible to think we haven't heard of one mitigating fact out there by now from 14 people.

Time will tell.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm sure all the facts are not in evidence yet. But, conversationally, with 14 survivors, I would expect to have heard at least one fact by now to suggest there should be anything other than the damning opinions drawn by most. Just one, not all.

By the way, the famous "six degrees of separation" has been scientifically proven to be only about 2 degrees now, because of the internet. That suggests to me that it is statistically impossible to think we haven't heard of one mitigating fact out there by now from 14 people.

Time will tell.
Premature disclosure of evidence to the media or the blogosphere can taint the testimony of others. And USCG knows to keep all the facts in confidence until all the evidence is in, and conclusions can be drawn.

Maybe I have too much faith in people, but I would expect that the people who have the information care enough about a fair and untainted investigation to keep their mouths shut. And I expect that the USCG reminded them of this after their debriefings.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)